Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              49      
       51              85       86       end

Archive 2017 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

markd61
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.50 #1 · p.50 #1 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

naturephoto1 wrote:
I ran the first tests on my Leica R 180mm f3.4 Apo Telyt and my Sony A7r camera mounted on my Cambo Actus Camera. This will prove of interest to those considering the new Fujifilm camera. Tests indicate that the lens will cover the new format.

You can read my results in the following for the new Hasselblad camera using the same sensor size:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1436862/40#13812921

I will be testing more Leica R lenses for coverage of the new camera.

Rich

It would seem possible that teles would tend to be the ones with the greatest potential for covering the sensor. What then counts is the IQ at the edges.

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:22 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.50 #2 · p.50 #2 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

markd61 wrote:
It would seem possible that teles would tend to be the ones with the greatest potential for covering the sensor. What then counts is the IQ at the edges.

I have begun a new thread checking the coverage of Leica R lenses. Thus far, I have checked 4 lenses and 3 cover the new sensor size while the Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 does not.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462218

I will continue to check additional lenses.

Rich

Nov 26, 2016 at 08:42 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.50 #3 · p.50 #3 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

naturephoto1 wrote:
I have begun a new thread checking the coverage of Leica R lenses. Thus far, I have checked 4 lenses and 3 cover the new sensor size while the Leica R 28mm f2.8 Elmarit V2 does not.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1462218

I will continue to check additional lenses.

Rich

Will you be able to reach infinity focus without heavy modification? The Fuji would have a larger flange distance wouldn't it?

Gordon

Nov 27, 2016 at 02:28 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.50 #4 · p.50 #4 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

flash wrote:
Will you be able to reach infinity focus without heavy modification? The Fuji would have a larger flange distance wouldn't it?

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I do not know. It was possible with the Sony A7 series cameras. The Sony had a shorter flange distance. We will have to wait and see what the comparison is between the distance to the sensor plane for both the Leica R and the new Fujjifilm cameras. But without a mirror box, I believe it will be quite likely. I suspect he distance to the camera sensor of the new Fujifilm camera is/should be similar to the case of the new Hasselblad.

Rich.

Nov 27, 2016 at 07:02 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.50 #5 · p.50 #5 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

flash wrote:

Gordon

Gordon, the Leica R mount has a 49mm registration distance, so I can't imagine that the Fuji mirrorless mini MF camera is going to have a longer flange difference. The fuji looks thicker than the Hassy X1D, but part of that looks like the way they has incorporated the LCD. I have heard that the Hassy will have a registration distance of about 20mm, which looks right from the thickness of the camera, and I would expect the Fuji to have a registration distance of less than 30mm. Bottom line is that with the right adapter Leica R lenses ought to fit on the new Fuji without any modification or anything other than an adapter.

Nov 27, 2016 at 09:34 AM
dickb
• •
p.50 #6 · p.50 #6 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

IIRC the Fuji has a registration distance of 26.7mm, so flange distance will not be a problem for adapting most lenses.

Nov 27, 2016 at 09:49 AM
flash
• • • • •
p.50 #7 · p.50 #7 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

OK. So you've got 23.3mm to play with. Can a Cambo be that thin? Or do you need someone to think it's worthwhile building an adaptor? And then Fuji have to have a function to fire the shutter without a recognised lens attached.

I've got to say I admire you guys who will put the time and effort into this type of testing. I know I don't have the patience for it. Very cool.

Gordon

Nov 27, 2016 at 01:31 PM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.50 #8 · p.50 #8 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

flash wrote:
OK. So you've got 23.3mm to play with. Can a Cambo be that thin? Or do you need someone to think it's worthwhile building an adaptor? And then Fuji have to have a function to fire the shutter without a recognised lens attached.

I've got to say I admire you guys who will put the time and effort into this type of testing. I know I don't have the patience for it. Very cool.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

23.3mm is just less than an inch. We will have to wait to see who if any makers step up to make such an adapter. As to the question of Cambo, they will undoubtedly approach Fujifilm about making a mount so that the camera can be mounted on either the Actus or the Actus DB2. The Actus at this point is used for 35mm cameras including the Sony A7 series, the Leica M240, the Canon EOS system, and the Nikon F system. The Actus DB2 system has been the Cambo system using mostly the same parts for the medium format cameras including Hasselbad, Contax, Mamia 645 (645 and 6X7lens), at least Pentax 645 lenses (I am not sure about the Pentax cameras), Phase cameras, etc. For the Actus at least the mirrorless Sony A7 series and I believe the Leica M240 can focus lenses from close-up to infinity. The Canon and Nikon SLR cameras can only be used close-up. The mirrorless and SLR cameras can be used with a large selection of lenses including Leica R, Canon EOS, Nikon F, 39mm thread lenses (including enlarger lenses), view camera film and digital lenses, as well as the lens systems mentioned above.

The Actus system should be of interest to Fujifilm since it will add tremendous capabilities to the system of their new camera including for studio, architecture, and landscape work.

As to whether Fujifilm will allow the camera to function and to fire the shutter without a recognised lens attached they already do for their APS mirrorless system as does Sony, Leica for both the M240 and SL systems, Panasonic, and Olympus, so I would say it is most likely.

Below is information about the Cambo Actus:

http://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-mini-view-camera/

Below is information about the Cambo Actus DB2:

http://www.cambo.com/en/actus-mini/cambo-actus-db2-view-camera/

Rich

Nov 27, 2016 at 03:28 PM
rbf_
• • •
p.50 #9 · p.50 #9 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I really like the Cambo Actus system a lot. X series glass would likely serve nicely with a m4/3 adapted camera as a back for those on a more limited budget

Nov 28, 2016 at 08:20 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.50 #10 · p.50 #10 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Very interesting YouTube video of the Fuji GFX being used in a shoot. I am really liking what I see of the GFX. Particularly since I have the XT2 so the GFX will just an extension in ergonomics.

Dec 13, 2016 at 07:35 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.50 #11 · p.50 #11 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I really like what I am seeing with this camera...

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.50 #12 · p.50 #12 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I'll be more excited when I see that dumb adapters are allowed and will be made, but after seeing the video Charles linked when it was posted to the FB group, I went out to my local Fuji dealer and tried out an XT2- like that camera. If the GFX set-up is indeed similar, it'll be a pleasure to use.

Dec 15, 2016 at 07:42 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.50 #13 · p.50 #13 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Another interesting interview

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-affordable-possible-want-expand-use-medium-format-current-full-frame-users-fujifilm-manager-interview/

Dec 16, 2016 at 06:18 PM
IronFilm

p.50 #14 · p.50 #14 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Matt Grum wrote:
There really isn't much of an advantage at all to having fewer larger pixels when it comes to lowlight or dynamic range. Look at the current leader for DR - the D810 which beats a lot of cameras with larger pixels.

Yes noise on a per pixel basis is higher, but you can downsample to a lower resolution and it averages out. The same applied to camera shake, there is no disadvantage to the extra resolution, and you can throw it away if that's what you're into!

Yeah, but having over 36 megapixels per pic can be a bummer if you're a pro (or even a casual hobbyist) who is churning out hundreds (or even thousands) of photos at a time.

Dec 25, 2016 at 02:17 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.50 #15 · p.50 #15 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

From Fuji Rumors site.

Interesting shoot in India with the GFX

Landscapes

Weddings

Dec 27, 2016 at 04:09 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.50 #16 · p.50 #16 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

The latest pricing for the GFX including lens will be approx. 8K USD according Fuji Rumors, to be officially announced on Jan 19.

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-current-pricing-8000-body-lens-new-source/

I am in

Dec 28, 2016 at 09:02 AM
bvphotos
• • •
p.50 #17 · p.50 #17 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

There's going to be a lot of marital strife around the world amongst photographers & enthusiasts when this camera is released.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM
jigesh
• • •
p.50 #18 · p.50 #18 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

charles.K wrote:
The latest pricing for the GFX including lens will be approx. 8K USD according Fuji Rumors, to be officially announced on Jan 19.

http://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-gfx-current-pricing-8000-body-lens-new-source/

I am in

I don't need one, but I want one.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:24 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.50 #19 · p.50 #19 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

jigesh wrote:
I don't need one, but I want one.

I'm still wanting to see a good side by side test between something like the A7R2...better yet the next generation model with the higher resolution sensor and these ( Fuji / Hassy ) MF cameras. Does the price premium one pays for the MF camera justify with image quality in the end. The limited ( at least right now ) lens selection is one concerning issue as if these MF cameras are to replace my FF system they need to be used in different scenarios from landscape to street shooting...

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:37 AM
clmusic
• • •
p.50 #20 · p.50 #20 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I want one too. If the camera works well with my Leica R tele lenses, I will downside to just GFX with about 3-4 lenses and Leica M

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.