Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              84      
       end

Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

genji
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.85 #1 · p.85 #1 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

I kinda sorta talked myself out of the GFX but suteetat's results make me glad I've held on to my 80 Lux, even though I haven't used it for a while. Also, is a Leica R to GFX adapter that could pass EXIF data from Leica R ROM lenses to the GFX technically feasible?

Mar 29, 2017 at 08:26 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.85 #2 · p.85 #2 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
http://blog.kasson.com/the-last-word/zony-55-on-a7rii-fuji-63-on-gfx-50s/
Another test that compare GFX resolution with A7r ii.

It's probably just due to the processing (upsampling) but my copy of the FE 55/1.8 seems better wide open in the corners that his does in the centre at f/2.8!

Here's a 100% crop at 42 megapixels of the extreme corner, wide open at f/1.8:

it responds to sharpening extremely well:

There's still some CA but this could be cleared up also. Remember this is the extreme corner on a high resolution body wide open. The 63mm f/2.8 may well be better than this (at least at a medium distance, close up on the dpreview studio scene the corners don't look so good) but overall I can't see you gaining that much from the extra 8 megapixels (assuming you're willing to apply sharpening). It's promising for a 100MP GFX mark II though.

Mar 29, 2017 at 08:59 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #3 · p.85 #3 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

genji wrote:
I kinda sorta talked myself out of the GFX but suteetat's results make me glad I've held on to my 80 Lux, even though I haven't used it for a while. Also, is a Leica R to GFX adapter that could pass EXIF data from Leica R ROM lenses to the GFX technically feasible?

Current Fotodiox adapter is mechanical only so no exif data. Yesterday was a bit annoying as I was trying out a few different f stops on a few lenses and by the time I got home, I forgot half of the setting I tried
Eventually, I assume that it would be possible. My Commlite adapter for F mount to E mount does pass exif information regarding lenses, both Nikon G and Zeiss zf.2 lenses to my A7r ii. R adapter to SL mount also passes exif data from R ROM to SL so my guess is that technically it would be possible.

Mar 29, 2017 at 01:23 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #4 · p.85 #4 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Matt Grum wrote:
It's probably just due to the processing (upsampling) but my copy of the FE 55/1.8 seems better wide open in the corners that his does in the centre at f/2.8!

Here's a 100% crop at 42 megapixels of the extreme corner, wide open at f/1.8:

http://www.mattgrum.com/55_unsharpened.jpg

it responds to sharpening extremely well:

http://www.mattgrum.com/55_sharpened.jpg

There's still some CA but this could be cleared up also. Remember this is the extreme corner on a high resolution body wide open. The 63mm f/2.8 may well be better than this (at least at a medium distance, close up on the dpreview studio scene the corners don't look so
...Show more

It would be hard to tell since your and his setting is different. However, I would say that from the pictures that I posted a couple of pages earlier, comparing Sony 50/1.4 with A7r ii vs GFX with 63/2.8 at F8 only at near infinity, the result is not much different from what he got using 55/1.8 instead. Also very possible that my copy of 50/1.4 is also a poor copy however, I checked my 50/1.4 against Leica 50/2 apo on A7rii in the past and Sony 50/1.4 does not look too shabby against 50/2 apo at all. To be fair, both 50/1.4 and 55/1.8 is at its sharpest probably around f4 if I remember correctly and sharpness does drop a bit by F8 but at landscape distance, I would not be using F4 though. While 8mp different by itself is not much, combination of both bigger and more pixels together I think is not insignificant.

Dpreview studio scene was done at relatively much closer distance which may yield different result than at or near infinity. Anyhow, this is just one more data point and the test was done differently than what Dpreview did which is relevant, I think.

PS For what its worth, I talked to someone local who works closely with Fuji and is a beta tester for Fuji who told me that 63/2.8 does have significant distortion and GFX does apply lens correction in camera to raw file.

Mar 29, 2017 at 01:31 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.85 #5 · p.85 #5 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
Yesterday was a bit annoying as I was trying out a few different f stops on a few lenses and by the time I got home, I forgot half of the setting I tried

Since I started shooting alt I started carrying a notepad. Fuji needs to allow you to manually enter at least focal length and maximum aperture as does Nikon, that makes it much easier. In certain "slow" shooting scenarios I even just manually change the aperture every time and avoid needing the notepad.

How are you finding using the camera? What do you think about Lloyd Chamber's hate for it?

Mar 29, 2017 at 05:19 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #6 · p.85 #6 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon wrote:
Since I started shooting alt I started carrying a notepad. Fuji needs to allow you to manually enter at least focal length and maximum aperture as does Nikon, that makes it much easier. In certain "slow" shooting scenarios I even just manually change the aperture every time and avoid needing the notepad.

How are you finding using the camera? What do you think about Lloyd Chamber's hate for it?

Last night I just found 'mount adaptor setting' that would let me enter focal lenght but not aperture. The camera will keep record of 6 lenses.
So far, my experience is very positive overall. I saw that Lloyd was complaininb about focus shift on 120/4 but since I don't subscribe to his site, I don't really know what else he is complaining about. My main complain for the camera would be that in comparison to A7r ii, face detection and eye detection is slower although Fuji gives more option for eye detection. Low light AF performance is quite poor and sometimes AF will lock and let me shoot even though it is not really in focus. Low light AF performance is much worse than my D500, A7r ii is quite a bit better. My guess would be that it is similar to Leica SL. EVF is nice, big and bright but for critical focusing using focus magnifier to nail the eye, I find it is easier to do on A7r ii as well as SL. It seems that resolution on EVF on both A7r ii and SL is better. I am not 100% sure about comparison to A7r ii but so far it seems a bit easier to me with A7r ii. SL EVF on the other hand is significantly better than any other EVF I tried. Handling of the body is perfectly fine. Easier to hold with big lenses than A7r ii, menu is easier to navigate than Sony. All the buttons are easily accessible while holding camera in shooting grip except for picture review and delete button that I could not quite reach with my thumb and have to change grip position to reach it. Image display after shooting option is a bit strange, 0.5s, 1.5s or permanent until I press shutter button again.
I find both .5 and 1.5s too fast and I could not review anything adequately and permanent option is a bit annoying. Hopefully Fuji will allow 3-4s options in the future. That would be more useful for me. So far nothing that is a deal breaker for me. Some limitations, I will have to work around it and some, I am sure can be fixed with fw. At least I am starting MF with a mindset that it is not going to be a fast pace camera and it is a mirrorless so I don't expect it to perform like a dslr to start of with. So for me, handling is not perfect. My ideal body for me as far as ergonomic and function is concerned right now is my D500. My A7r ii, SL and GFX is not quite there yet but each has its own strong point and a few annoying things but nothing that I would consider deal breaker.

PS opps, made more adjustment to EVF manual focus option, more diopter adjustment, may be focus peaking on high setting is quite useful (not excessive and useless like on Sony). There seems to be the usual red line but also white line popping up in magnifier mode which help me to see the fine detail a bit easier. Sorry this is my first Fuji camera so this is really the first time I see this. Quite a nifty tool, I think I might like this feature but will need to try more. Certainly making me focus on the eye of the pigeon in the picture below easier and faster.

Edited on Mar 30, 2017 at 12:48 AM · View previous versions

Mar 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #7 · p.85 #7 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Tried Nikon 300/4e PF. Again, I am stuck at f4. I already tried to correct vignette as much as I could. To be usable, it seems that I need to crop down to about 47mp, keeping 4:3 ratio. So far, pretty much all Nikon lenses that I tried will require slight cropping as I could not get rid off distracting vignette completely.
PS I strated to get used a bit more to manual focus on GFX

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:35 AM
genji
• • •
p.85 #8 · p.85 #8 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon wrote:

Lloyd is definitely an equal opportunity hater. Currently he strongly prefers the Hasselblad X1D to the Fujifilm GFX but over the years he's written scathing assessments of Hasselblad and Leica medium format gear. I was a subscriber for a long time but, after reading some observations he made in his RX1R II review that I thought were either unfair or directly contradicted my own experience with the camera, I allowed my subscriptions to lapse. Essentially, the information, opinion, tests, and images provided by FM members is more useful to me than what Lloyd provides. That said, his testing methodology is both thorough and consistent and should I be seriously considering a GFX purchase (the lack of a flip up LCD screen on the X1D makes it a non-starter for me) I might well contradict myself by plunking down $100 for his medium format subscription, just to get a highly concentrated dollop of information about the camera.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:36 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #9 · p.85 #9 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

genji wrote:
Lloyd is definitely an equal opportunity hater. Currently he strongly prefers the Hasselblad X1D to the Fujifilm GFX but over the years he's written scathing assessments of Hasselblad and Leica medium format gear. I was a subscriber for a long time but, after reading some observations he made in his RX1R II review that I thought were either unfair or directly contradicted my own experience with the camera, I allowed my subscriptions to lapse. Essentially, the information, opinion, tests, and images provided by FM members is more useful to me than what Lloyd provides. That said, his testing methodology is
...Show more

I am waiting to see what Nasim has to say over at photographylife. He may be not quite as detailed obsessive as Lloyd but I like his view regarding utility. He is has both X1D and GFX at this time and already has a little sneak preview of what he thinks. It should be interesting reading when he finally publish his overall impression.

Mar 30, 2017 at 12:41 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.85 #10 · p.85 #10 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

suteetat wrote:
My guess would be that it is similar to Leica SL. EVF is nice, big and bright but for critical focusing using focus magnifier to nail the eye, I find it is easier to do on A7r ii as well as SL.... Image display after shooting option is a bit strange, 0.5s, 1.5s or permanent until I press shutter button again.

I'm assuming there's an option to turn image review off completely and you just didn't mention that because you prefer it on?

About the EVF, by far my biggest concern is low light. How dark does it have to get before the GFX EVF turns to unusable red mush? That was the main thing that led me to sell my A7 (first gen). I found I couldn't even use it in my studio with strobes and would've had to switch to continuous lighting.

Also, did you have a higher opinion of the LCD than the EVF? I was optimistic because it's a pretty high resolution compared to most cameras other than the D5 & D500.

Mar 30, 2017 at 01:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmward
• • • •
p.85 #11 · p.85 #11 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon wrote:
I'm assuming there's an option to turn image review off completely and you just didn't mention that because you prefer it on?

About the EVF, by far my biggest concern is low light. How dark does it have to get before the GFX EVF turns to unusable red mush? That was the main thing that led me to sell my A7 (first gen). I found I couldn't even use it in my studio with strobes and would've had to switch to continuous lighting.

Also, did you have a higher opinion of the LCD than the EVF? I was optimistic because it's
...Show more

I've found the EVF to work well in low light. As does the focus.

Mar 30, 2017 at 03:11 AM
suteetat
• • •
p.85 #12 · p.85 #12 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Lee Saxon wrote:

Also, did you have a higher opinion of the LCD than the EVF? I was optimistic because it's
...Show more

Yes, you can turn off the image review completely.
EVF at low light is quite reasonable. I would say that it should be able to handle a darkish bar. However, at very very low light image in A7r ii EVF is cleaner and has quite a bit less noise than GFX EVF. The good news is that LCD screen in this situation is better than EVF. However, I think AF will fail sooner than EVF will in this situation. Good or bad low light AF ability is all relative but A7r ii low light AF is definitely more reliable when I tried both side by side.

Mar 30, 2017 at 08:35 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.85 #13 · p.85 #13 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

Here's the lens every new GFX owner needs... Hasselblad Tele-Superachromat 300/2.8 on eBay

All for the low price of $60k shipped.

May 13, 2017 at 02:51 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.85 #14 · p.85 #14 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

freaklikeme wrote:
Here's the lens every new GFX owner needs... Hasselblad Tele-Superachromat 300/2.8 on eBay

Yikes! And I thought the 28/1.4 AF-D's I'd been looking at were pricey!

May 13, 2017 at 04:02 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.85 #15 · p.85 #15 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

CZ TSA300 was "only" $27K full retail when released. Given the performance and the era, it seemed a lens looking for an emulsion (Kodachrome 25 120 was already discontinued). The technical writeup in Lens Notes was really interesting, especially how the glass was cast, measured, then the optical formula was completed!

May 13, 2017 at 12:58 PM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.85 #16 · p.85 #16 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

freaklikeme wrote:

I get the rarity factor and collect-ability of this lens, but an optical equivalent could be an APO telescope with rack and pinion focusing and a flat field module for covering the medium format sensor for just a few thou. The Takahashi FSQ-85ED would be one example.

May 13, 2017 at 06:11 PM
cbaron

p.85 #17 · p.85 #17 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

JimBuchanan wrote:
I get the rarity factor and collect-ability of this lens, but an optical equivalent could be an APO telescope with rack and pinion focusing and a flat field module for covering the medium format sensor for just a few thou. The Takahashi FSQ-85ED would be one example.

Yeah, but just add in a Tak adapter or two and you'll be right up at the same price point.

May 13, 2017 at 06:51 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.85 #18 · p.85 #18 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

JimBuchanan wrote:

Yeah, something tells me the people in the market for this lens aren't concerned with cheaper optical equivalents, Jim. Given what a pain in the ass it would be to realize the lens' full capabilities on a medium-format film frame with a focal plane shutter, my guess is this sample has exposed maybe a couple of rolls of 220 and a slightly larger number of digital frames over the course of its life. It's more trophy than lens.

May 13, 2017 at 06:56 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.85 #19 · p.85 #19 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

freaklikeme wrote:
my guess is this sample has exposed maybe a couple of rolls of 220 and a slightly larger number of digital frames over the course of its life. It's more trophy than lens.

Indeed. Bet you anything Jim Jannard owns one.

And heck, I get nervous just taking my 180 APO-Summicron out (especially after it miraculously survived a fall down an icy embankment in January). Feeling comfortable walking around with *this* thing? That's in that "I'd love to be rich enough to do that...but I probably still wouldn't" category with buying a Lamborghini.

May 14, 2017 at 08:55 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.85 #20 · p.85 #20 · Pre-order: Fujifilm GFX 50S Medium Format body ($6,499)

With apologies to those waiting for the GFX, I present extracts from CZ Camera Lens News #5:

"... No manufacturer of optical glass can produce material within the extremely narrow tolerances required for the Tele-Superachromat T* 2,8/300. So Carl Zeiss had to purchase a batch of glass, analyse its real properties with the ultra-high precision Carl Zeiss applies in the manufacturing of lenses for the semiconductor industry, do the optical design with these actual values and prepare the manufacture accordingly. The quantity of optical glass purchased for the TPP project was based on Carl Zeiss' assumptions on world market size for the TPP: estimated 400 (four hundred) sets of optic ..."

"TPP is a unique offering. And this offering is a direct one: Every friend of Carl Zeiss top class optics may order his TPP directly from Zeiss (contact: Christian Baasch, phone: +49 (0) 73 64-20-80 50; fax: +49 (0) 73 64-20-40 45; e-mail: [email protected] The price is 29.900, DM + VAT + shipping & handling). The TPP will be available also through Hasselblad and, maybe, further channels."

In 1998 dollars, that's much less costly than I remember, specifically $17K at an exchange rate of 1.76 DM/USD. Now I'm kicking myself.

Ref: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Photography/new/pdf/en/cln_archiv/cln05_en_web.pdf

May 14, 2017 at 10:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password