New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Ravn Airlines - Large Camera Bags

Lara_F

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ravn Airlines - Large Camera Bags

Does anyone have experience flying Ravn Airlines in Alaska with large camera bags (Gura Gear Bataflae and a similar sized Lowepro) for 500/600 lenses. Specifically we will be on a Bombardier Q200.

The official policy is "18 inches long by 14 inches wide by 10 inches deep and limited to 20 pounds" - it looks like our bags are about 23x15x9 and approx 35 lbs.

Any experience traveling like this. Has anyone taken their gear out and hand carried multiple cameras with long lenses on?

Thanks for any advice!

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:50 AM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ravn Airlines - Large Camera Bags

I have flown Raven in Alaska multiple times and carried on a Gura gear bataflae and Chobe. I'm able to get the camera bag in the overhead of the crj200, but you have to remove everything out of the two outside pockets and remove the rain fly. It is actually a shoehorned fit that the backpack straps want to hang up. Then the Chobe goes under the seat. Or you can switch them and fit the large bag under the seat and use a jacket to hide that it does not fit all the way under. You could wear a vest to put things on your body to limit weight, but never had to.

And with Raven you never really know what plane size you will get. We got one that had no overhead storage. Put the larger bag under seat and the Chobe went in a storage area as you entered the plane.

Worst case is you hand the bag to the person out back of the plane and they put in the back and after landing you wait for them to take it out and get it from them, all at ground level at the plane.

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:14 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ravn Airlines - Large Camera Bags

Ravn's small planes are to tight a fit for even a Bataflae 26L but this bag will fit under the seat in front of you. Mine held a 500mm f/4 and a 80-400mm, WA lens, and two bodies. Ravn does not check the weight so that is not a worry.

The 26L is not appreciably larger on the outside than the Bataflae 18L and it has a very good shoulder straps and waist belt for carrying a load.

On the Q400 I can barely get the Bataflae 32L into the overhead and have to almost fold the bag along its length to get it in. No real gain over the 26L for a 500mm f/4 lens.

With the 600mm lens I would fly on Alaska Airlines instead of Ravn. I flew with Ravn as they were flying into Kodiak on the weekends and Alaska Airlines did not. The boat charter dates were fixed so I was forced to fly on Ravn.

Ravn airlines does not have a great safety record so I would fly on Alaska Airlines whenever possible.

Sep 12, 2016 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.