New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

la puffin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

When switching to portrait orientation on my Sigma 120-300, I noticed a little bit of play or looseness between the TC and the lens. Then I took the TC off and mounted the body directly. There's still a tiny amount of side to side movement. Check with my other lenses - same thing. I tried to tighten the tiny phillips head screws on the body's mount, but they were tight.

Is this acceptable or have any effect on anything or possibly in the near future (light leak)? If so, does it have to go to Nikon or is it something a local repair shop might be able to do? It's a D500, so it's still under warranty. I've got a calender full of sports shoots through the end of October and hate to be with only one body, especially the slower AF/FPS.

Thanks

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:02 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

Normal/acceptable. Put a dozen lenses on my D500 and 3 had a little 'slop'.
They were my most used...70-200 f2.8/200 f2/200-500. No biggie. Adding a
TC will compound the perceived looseness...still, no worries.

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:29 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

I found the screws that hold the mount flange of my sigma 120-300 were backing out giving me movement like you're describing. I added blue loctite to them all and the problem has since gone away. Sounds like you already checked the body mount but check the lens mount!

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

you lens/camera mount is referred to as a breech type locking assy. in order for the 2 parts to link and unlink the and have that light tight fit they are held under load by a set of leaf type springs built into the camera side. these springs also allow your lens to uncouple w/o excessive effort. a simple plunger lock prevents rotation at a unintended time. relative easy on easy off but you need that teeny bit of play.

note the curved piece of material left of the coil spring. there are general 3 120 deg apart in the mount circle.

these exist on all of the mounts on the female side and there will be a wee bit of play.

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:41 AM
la puffin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Play" between lens/TC/body

Thanks a lot for all of the info, I feel relieved knowing what's going on.

Sep 02, 2016 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.