Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Pyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

I've been shooting semi-pro football in the great light of summer evenings for three years, but as we lose the sun in September (and High School ball picks up), I get frustrated by endzones that are the equivalent of darkrooms. I have good long glass for midfield work, but my short glass needs help.

I get away with my 24-120 f4 in early evening, but second half shooting is abysmal. I shoot it on a D610, so there's reasonable (6400) range - but even with that, there's nothing usable.

Been thinking about a 50 1.8 to trade out the zoom flexibility for 2.5 stops of light - but the very short FOV is only going to work if it has great focus speed.

Have any of you guys gone the prime route for these tough shots - is there sufficient focus speed to make this work? Any other solutions worth trying?

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:37 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

As soon as it is available, I'm going to rent the new Nikon 105MM f1.4 and give it a try as and end zone lens. Like you, I cover some High Schools with absolutely beyond horrible end zone lighting. I know its a "portrait" lens but I'm going to give it a try. My 70/200 2.8 when I'm in the end zone can't get it done well even with a D5. You're not alone!

Edited on Sep 02, 2016 at 07:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

I'd agree with PureMichigan with the 105 f1.4, it should be a "game changer," but only if it can fast focus as the f1.4 glass usually suffers from slightly slower focus times.

Back in my film days, when ISO 1600 was the practical limit, my favorite endzone or poorly lit dungeon like gymnasium lens was a Nikkor AIS 105 f1.8 shot WFO.

Obviously we didn't have AF but we did have 4 frames a second and usually a little "pray and spray" landed a keeper.

The same strategy should work with your D610 even if the new 105 f1.4 lags a little in locking on focus, just set the shutter to Continuous High and Release and let'r buck.

Steve

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:16 AM
dennisgolfer
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

WFO.

Sep 09, 2016 at 11:12 AM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Thanks Berkyboy and PureMichigan - I'll be very curious to see how the 105 works out. I've shot my 35 1.4 in the back of the endzone, but what ever came out had to be cropped so far as to re-introduce all the noise I had pushed out... the longer FL should solve that problem. Just wish every lens that Nikon put out wasn't $2k - but I guess there are fewer and fewer of us, and they need to maintain revenue $.

Sep 13, 2016 at 01:08 PM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Thanks Berkyboy and PureMichigan - I'll be very curious to see how the 105 works out. I've shot my 35 1.4 in the back of the endzone, but what ever came out had to be cropped so far as to re-introduce all the noise I had pushed out... the longer FL should solve that problem. Just wish every lens that Nikon put out wasn't $2k - but I guess there are fewer and fewer of us, and they need to maintain revenue $.

Sep 13, 2016 at 01:09 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

My "go-to" for endzones (~20 yard line forward) is the 70-200 2.8. For tighter end zone shots I grab the 24-70 2.8.

Sep 13, 2016 at 01:47 PM
DaveSPictures

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

In the High School stadiums where I shoot there is no light, zero, none, emitting from the end zone toward the players. Doesn't matter how wide open you can go, the player faces will be in the shadows because of the side light and helmet. Usable for newspaper, yes. Attractive for a parent, most likely not. I'm not talking about shooting into the end from the side where about 2 stops less light falls onto the field but shooting into the field from the back of the end zone.
You could recover some shadow in post but this is why I use HSS flash.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Nikon 200ƒ2 - have seen this used a lot in these situations.

Chris

Sep 23, 2016 at 07:59 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Pyrat wrote:
I've been shooting semi-pro football in the great light of summer evenings for three years, but as we lose the sun in September (and High School ball picks up), I get frustrated by endzones that are the equivalent of darkrooms. I have good long glass for midfield work, but my short glass needs help.

I get away with my 24-120 f4 in early evening, but second half shooting is abysmal. I shoot it on a D610, so there's reasonable (6400) range - but even with that, there's nothing usable.

Been thinking about a 50 1.8 to trade out the zoom flexibility
...Show more

I've used the 135 f2 lens.

Sep 25, 2016 at 08:03 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

the problem I have with anything less than 2.8 is DOF because I'm always shooting night HS FB with an FX body.
And shooting a prime in the endzone has it's own frustrations

Sep 26, 2016 at 08:57 AM
Pyrat
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

So, Randy - what do you use?

Sep 26, 2016 at 11:17 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Better Endzone lens for poorly lit stadiums?

Pyrat wrote:
So, Randy - what do you use?

D4 + 70-200

Sep 26, 2016 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.