Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Profoto help. Please! Anyone with an Acute B 600?

billydoo73
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto help. Please! Anyone with an Acute B 600?

Anyone with an Acute B 600 here that can answer a question? I picked up a used Acute B (lead battery) and wondering how much life I can expect from the battery. No way 160 pops. After like 25 pops the level goes to red. I can get a lot more 1/2 power. Does the green LED stay lit awhile or is this normal? It seems to go to yellow on the meter rather quickly.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:46 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto help. Please! Anyone with an Acute B 600?

If the battery is new then the green LED will remain lit for awhile. Otherwise, you will spend more shooting time in the amber/red zones. Even in the red zone, there can be plenty of full-power pops. I find that 3rd-party batteries can operate at a slightly different voltage and (even new) fall quickly out of the green zone—no cause for concern. Rather than stress the flash bulb with 200 full discharges, you can gauge battery life with the modelling light: a fresh one will last 50min.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:33 PM
billydoo73
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto help. Please! Anyone with an Acute B 600?

Thanks!!!

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:35 PM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto help. Please! Anyone with an Acute B 600?

Echo Rico's comments. The battery level indicator on AcuteB's tend to have a mind of their own and are pessimistic (which I guess is better than other way around). It takes VERY little voltage change to drop from green to yellow.

Older batteries will die quickly and eventually become useless or emerg use only, but new ones or new aftermarket ones hold up fine - even once in the red. But as Rico said, the aftermarket ones can cause some further humor with the (already wonky) level indicator.

What you're seeing is normal - just shoot until it dies and remember you can shoot while charging on either of the 1A or 2A charger if you have access to an outlet.

Sep 02, 2016 at 05:57 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.