Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

So we are heading to Yellowstone and the Tetons at the end of the month. I just checked my flights, and am pretty concerned that my Mindshift Firstlight 40 won't fit into the overhead on at least one of my United flights, so I'm looking at other options. I also have a firstlight 20 (I'm a big mindshift fan!), and will also bring some sort of duffel bag on board as well. The problem is my 500vr, it won't fit into the firstlight 20. I'm thinking I'll just carry it in my duffel, but other than clothing, am looking at options for protecting it. Is there some sort of neoprene sleeve that is big enough for this to sit in, or if anyone has other ideas I'm all ears. Thanks.

Sep 01, 2016 at 01:49 PM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

I use the Nikon CL-L2.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:00 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

LensCoat makes a condom for it

http://www.lenscoat.com/travelcoatreg-nikon-500vr-p-760.html?osCsid=88ff2b11af294b28e748c622b1562269

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:21 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

I saw that. What about a glass taxi as a home for it?

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:23 PM
Norm Shapiro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

I would just carry the lens bare with a strap. That way when people see it they treat it better. And I'd put on the floor under my seat, possibly with a good sheet of foam under it. Once in a while I have to travel with my big bulky sound blimps. Rather than putting them in a pelican and shipping ( I don't trust TSA or baggage people) I just carry them on board. Aside from having to explain to the curious what they are I've never had a problem. I've also traveled with video guys with exotic underwater cameras and they do the same.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:27 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

I'm thinking of the lenscoat condom (aka travelcoat) as a neoprene sleeve for it, packed in my duffel bag with clothing. I could also just buy a sheet of neoprene for $15 and wrap it. Most of the regional jets just don't have the carry on space for a tsa legal but still pretty big carry on bag so I want to make sure I don't have a problem at the airport.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:31 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

cohenfive wrote:
I saw that. What about a glass taxi as a home for it?

It'll fit, hood reversed...no body attached. Nice if you already have one,
easy carry on your back.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:48 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

Ideally I'm looking for something smaller than yet another in my long list of camera bags...may end up with the travelcoat/condom that you suggested. We aren't hiking much on this trip, although we will probably do a few walks.

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:18 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Sleeve/Pouch for 500VR?

What about a different bag? It fits into the Lowepro Flipside 500AW and you can still fit other lenses into it as well. What other lenses are you taking? I am sure when I had the 500 f4 VR, I could fit the 24-70 and either the 70-200 or 80-400 in the bag as well, plus D810.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.