Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

On a wedding day I carry most of my gear in a medium sized shoulder bag and that works really well for me but I'm now needing something just a little bit larger and I'm having trouble finding that perfect shoulder bag. So I started looking at roller cases because generally speaking they can hold more gear. But I'm wondering how do you guys/gals work from them? To me they would seem to work well as long as you have a hard surface to roll them on but what to you do if you need to go through grass, tall grass, gravel, long flights of stairs, hop fences or any other kind of moderate climbing? Do you literally carry it with you where ever you go? Bring a smaller shoulder bag to through just a few things in it for working outside?

What is the perfect balance?

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

Rollers have handles. We carry over uneven terrain.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:25 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I carry mine over sand, plow through most everything else (ThinkTank roller, the big one). I have a dual R on me with my full required focal ranges covered, and necessities (triggers/batteries maybe one lense) in a top zipper pouch easy to grab.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:26 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

LeeSimms wrote:
Rollers have handles. We carry over uneven terrain.

Even long distance, across fields etc?

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:42 PM
ZachOly
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

If it's too much of a hassle to carry it, there's a good chance the bride isn't walking there either.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:54 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I keep a lowepro messenger bag that hold a Dslr and 2-3 lenses. That's all I need. My roller stays in the hotel room or car.

If I don't know where I'm shooting a simple reflector, a wide prime and a telephoto prime or zoom should be enough to get you 90% of the shots

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:13 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I wanted to ask because I know most of you guys/gals use them but on the surface they seem counter-intuitive to a run and gun style of working. I guess you just get used to them?

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:50 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

Yeah, it's a bitch 'cause loaded they're over 50lbs. If you booger up the wheels though, most are replaceable with inline skate wheels.

I recently added a ThinkTank Turnstyle 10 to my roller as a wearable lens change bag and it's been a revelation. It sits in the roller and has 3 lenses inside. Super comfortable so now I can be on a mountain side with 2 bodies, 5 lenses, and 2 speed lights (in a ThinkTank lens changer bag attached to Spider belt).

Shot for 10 hours last weekend on top of Steamboat mountain and it was the most comfortable shoot ever, and everything I needed was on my body (or close by). The roller was parked next to DJ stand but I didn't visit it much.

I'm now a big believer in a small bag inside the roller.

MRomine wrote:
Even long distance, across fields etc?

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:02 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

LeeSimms wrote:
I recently added a ThinkTank Turnstyle 10 to my roller as a wearable lens change bag and it's been a revelation. It sits in the roller and has 3 lenses inside. Super comfortable so now I can be on a mountain side with 2 bodies, 5 lenses, and 2 speed lights (in a ThinkTank lens changer bag attached to Spider belt).

So TT Turnstyle 10 will fit inside your roller case?

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:07 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I bring a TT Airport International v2 to every wedding but don't necessarily roll it with me everywhere I go. I typically stash it somewhere safe and load up my TT Retrospective 30 with everything I want to carry around.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

MRomine wrote:
So TT Turnstyle 10 will fit inside your roller case?

YES - my Lowe x300 fits ...

5d3 / 24-70 mounted
5d3 / 100L mounted
7D2 (with body cap)
TurnStyle 10 (70-200, 16-35 and 135L inside)
3x 430RT
2x 600RT
2x Godox Li-Ion packs
Super clamp
stand clamp, TTL cord, flash power cords and boat load of AA's.

Holds a lot, but also gets heavy.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:32 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I'm always amazed at how people carry gear. We have a sometime-associate that has two D700's on straps and everything else in a big backpack she brings everywhere (even to tight prep rooms). Not exactly stealth.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:44 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

ZachOly wrote:
If it's too much of a hassle to carry it, there's a good chance the bride isn't walking there either.

This.

Also, I don't work out of my roller, I work out of my Boda Bag. So I keep the roller nearby, maybe in the same room or in my car if we're changing locations quickly, but the lenses and cameras I need now are on me. I'm only actually moving the roller back a few times per wedding.

I'll add that ThinkTank really is a notch above the other roller options. They look nicer (to my eyes), roll way better than most, and have a touch nicer build quality.

Edited on Sep 01, 2016 at 05:23 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:20 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

LeeSimms wrote:
I'm always amazed at how people carry gear. We have a sometime-associate that has two D700's on straps and everything else in a big backpack she brings everywhere (even to tight prep rooms). Not exactly stealth.

Yeah, I don't care how good of a shooter you are... If you look like a mountaineer or a college kid with his $30 Canon-branded backpack, you're not working for me.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:21 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

Still laughing

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:37 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

mikethevilla wrote:
Yeah, I don't care how good of a shooter you are... If you look like a mountaineer or a college kid with his $30 Canon-branded backpack, you're not working for me.

i don't like you talking crap about me behind my backpack.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:14 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

Related years ago, somebody made a nice shoulder bag for nightstands that had handy little pockets for speed lights/battery packs, etc.

I've searched my bookmarks and can't find it. It was a small company, like a side endeavor of a wedding photographer's.

Anyone?

FOUND IT it's called Sandbagger

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:31 PM
RSHPhotography
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

How can you even see behind your backpack?

dhp_sf wrote:
i don't like you talking crap about me behind my backpack.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:37 PM
BSPhotog
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

LeeSimms wrote:
Related years ago, somebody made a nice shoulder bag for nightstands that had handy little pockets for speed lights/battery packs, etc.

I've searched my bookmarks and can't find it. It was a small company, like a side endeavor of a wedding photographer's.

Anyone?

FOUND IT it's called Sandbagger

Speedlights are the last thing I want on my nightstand.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:47 PM
OlafSiebert
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Working from A Roller Case - How Do You Do It?

I used a rollercase most of my weddings. How to carry was the worry of my assistant

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password