New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

Your comments and critiques always welcome.
Steve

© Steve Schulman Photography

Freedom Tower in the Clouds

Aug 31, 2016 at 08:57 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

Like it.

Aug 31, 2016 at 09:15 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

ben egbert wrote:
Like it.

This is my Ranier.
Steve

Aug 31, 2016 at 09:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

eeneryma wrote:
This is my Ranier.
Steve

And in your backyard. That'e the key. If you want good stuff that is dependent on natural light and atmosphere, , you need to be able to spend lots time on site.

I decided on my recent trip that a long trip with 2 days at each place is a fools errand. I need to spend more time looking local.

Aug 31, 2016 at 09:24 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

ben egbert wrote:
And in your backyard. That'e the key. If you want good stuff that is dependent on natural light and atmosphere, , you need to be able to spend lots time on site.

I decided on my recent trip that a long trip with 2 days at each place is a fools errand. I need to spend more time looking local.

I agree Ben. I find that when I'm on vacation, with only a short time spent in each locale, I'm usually rushing to see as much as I can. My photos for the most part can be disappointing. It takes time to get to know a place, to feel a level of comfort, find the right angles, the right time of day. In addition, with landscape photography, so much depends on weather conditions to cooperate. Last, when I'm on vacation with family, you feel the responsibility of balancing family time with photo time.

Where are you off to this week?

Steve

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:31 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

I'm curious as to why you focused on the traffic light rather than the tower itself being that was your main subject? To my eyes I would have liked the buildings and the tower in focus. I do like your processing though as I think it adds to the drama of the cloaked tower.

Dave

ben egbert wrote:

+1 @ that one Ben. But you have to admit, we have fun trying regardless of what mother nature throws our way. Sometimes we get lucky, most times.... not so much.

Dave

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:44 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

lighthound wrote:
I'm curious as to why you focused on the traffic light rather than the tower itself being that was your main subject? To my eyes I would have liked the buildings and the tower in focus. I do like your processing though as I think it adds to the drama of the cloaked tower.

Dave

+1 @ that one Ben. But you have to admit, we have fun trying regardless of what mother nature throws our way. Sometimes we get lucky, most times.... not so much.

Dave

Hey Dave, the stop light is mostly a compositional element, on street level, closer to the viewer than the more distant buildings. With a little liberty, you might equate it to the flowers in some of Ben's recent images, where he has beautiful wild flowers in the foreground and the distant mountains in the background, creating a feeling of depth in the image. Last, some might say the traffic light is a city symbol for controlling the rhythm of what's happening on the street that is unseen.

Steve

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:11 AM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

I kind of agree with Dave on this one. It seems like the traffic light is the dominant feature and yet it seems to be competing for attention with that first street light on the left. I like the idea but if your intent was to showcase the tower its kind of lost in the background and without your title I would think the image is about the traffic light.

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:16 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

rgoosney wrote:
I kind of agree with Dave on this one. It seems like the traffic light is the dominant feature and yet it seems to be competing for attention with that first street light on the left. I like the idea but if your intent was to showcase the tower its kind of lost in the background and without your title I would think the image is about the traffic light.

You and Dave are correct in that the traffic light because of it's focus and proximity is the dominant element. The title, "Freedom Tower in the Clouds", is a misdirection for this image. Although living in the city, people use landmarks like the Freedom Tower or the Empire State Building to get their bearings. Thanks guys for your perceptive feedback.

Steve

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:29 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Freedom Tower in the Clouds

eeneryma wrote:
I agree Ben. I find that when I'm on vacation, with only a short time spent in each locale, I'm usually rushing to see as much as I can. My photos for the most part can be disappointing. It takes time to get to know a place, to feel a level of comfort, find the right angles, the right time of day. In addition, with landscape photography, so much depends on weather conditions to cooperate. Last, when I'm on vacation with family, you feel the responsibility of balancing family time with photo time.

Where are you off to this week?

Steve

I may have giardia or something like it so I can't leave the house. Starting to see red on the hills behind my house so the next month will be local fall color.

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:41 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.