Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Printing workflow surprise...

vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing workflow surprise...

Hi all.

Any printing workflow includes a good paper profile to achieve the best results, right? Well, maybe not.
After reading something a very knowledgeable color management guru wrote, I run my own tests and came to conclusions that were of great surprise, at least to me.

As I think it's a bit to much to post here, if you want to read about it, I posted it to my blog. Would love to hear what you guys have to say about it...

Best,
André

Link to the post

Aug 31, 2016 at 03:10 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing workflow surprise...

All you've really done is proven to yourself that your "legacy" profiles sucked. The Printer Manages Color has to use whatever manufacturer's profile that is associated with the paper type you choose. That's all it can do, except that the choice of using Black Point Compensation is now grayed out and unchecked - and you really do need to check that if you're going to use Relative Colorimetric for your printing conversion. That alone could account for a huge difference in how your prints look, but, really, the results should be the same if you're using the same profile - and I would test that out by using Ps Manages Color and choosing the same profile and printing both versions with Perceptual (only for the purposes of this test though). And ol' Dave from Adobe. Since he's in charge of the print path in Photoshop, ask him while you're at it, how they happened to miss that fact that the updates to Ps and Lr a month ago were so screwed up in printing.

Don't know about the Canon supplied profiles, but the ones that Epson ships for their media are pretty damned good overall, just slightly less pleasing than the ones I make for myself. As for third party papers, it's really hit or miss as to whether a particular profile is going to be good, great or a piece of crap. There is no consistency even with the same manufacturer, so using a third party profile of unknown provenance as a "standard" is not really a great idea. Or at least the results won't be of much use.

Aug 31, 2016 at 08:41 PM
vallejo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing workflow surprise...

Good points. And definitely my PrintFix sucks, I'm giving up on it. For the third papers with a factory profile, I'll stick to them, for those who has not I'll stick with the generic ones for the time being. Which hardware are you using for generating your own?

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:52 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing workflow surprise...

I've been using a GretagMacbeth Spectrolino Spectroscan since the late 90's. I started out with Praxis CompassProfile which is no longer around, then moved on to Gretag's own ProfileMaker Professional which is no longer supported but still very usable and good, and then finally to X-Rite's i1Profiler, which is generally very very good. Unfortunately the Spectrolino is no longer being made or being supported, but I'll keep it going as long as I can as it's still one of the best units out there.

It's probably good to note that most of the similar papers, like Hahnemühle Fine Art Baryta, Hahnemühle Fine Art Pearl, Epson Premium Luster, Lexjet eSatin, etc, are all pretty much interchangeable in terms of their profiles. There simply isn't that much difference between them. Same for Epson Hot Press White and Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308 - a very slight difference in the paper white between the two but you can interchange the profiles and never see a difference. So, often you can find a pretty good profile by looking sideways to a similar type of paper and seeing what happens.

Sep 01, 2016 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.