New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Warm white flashlight?

Schlotkins
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Warm white flashlight?

Hi there:

I'm looking for a flashlight with a warm white color to do some light painting while shooting the stars. Any recommendations? I'm guessing 4000K or lower is the best light color.

Thanks,
Chris

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:47 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Warm white flashlight?

We'll see what the community comes up with but if you need a bunch of lumens you may find that gelling a mainstream flashlight is the most practical option, Chris.

Aug 31, 2016 at 04:25 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Warm white flashlight?

My (older) maglite uses a regular tungsten bulb, but may be too dim for your purposes.

Aug 31, 2016 at 04:53 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Warm white flashlight?

Don't know if they still do, but Rosco used to send out a free sample of all their color gels. I got one from them some time ago, and use whatever I need taped to my SB-800 flash, and a flashlight as well. Works great.

Aug 31, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Warm white flashlight?

I know some lights use a warmer LED, but it has been a while since I looked into that and cannot give you any specifics. If you look at the specs of a given light it should be listed; if not contact the seller or maker and ask... I would think anything under 5K should be pretty good.

Paul

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:43 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Warm white flashlight?

I agree with the suggestion to simply just stick a piece of color conversion gel on your flash

It's kind of my standard procedure when I shoot a catwalk show where the available/stage light is so bad that I need to supplement it with flash, but want to balance the WB of my SB800's (depending on the situation 2 or 4 SB800's, with and additional external batterypack, off camera mounted on a lightstand, and triggered with PW TT5's) with that of the stage light e.g. http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/20160403_max_h_jhm

Could of course also be applied on a studio flash (I eg have gel holders for my Bowens studio monolights)

I have several different types of Lee filters laying around I can chose from depending on the color temperature adjustment needed

And of course you can still use your flash with the 'normal' WB when that's needed (and don't need to get/spend money on a set of 'normal' WB + another with 'warm' WB)

Sep 01, 2016 at 11:18 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Warm white flashlight?

Seems like Gels is the way to go. Any suggestions?

Thank you all for the great replies!

Sep 01, 2016 at 11:23 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Warm white flashlight?

You haven't implied you need any precise color temp so it really depends on your light source (i.e. a high kelvin temp source will require more orange to get it below 4000, etc) and personal taste, I suppose. But this should be an inexpensive gig for you. Have a look at these links.

Just a general overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_correction

Rosco is one of "the" mainstream names in gels. Here's a page of theirs that provides a lot of detail about their various products:

https://www.rosco.com/filters/cinegel.cfm?CategoryID=2&menuReturn=quickFilmTV

Here's a B&H search filtered by Rosco and under $20:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?gclid=Cj0KEQjwo5--BRCS8ceLjv-XppUBEiQAGp15EKMaqYxtP81rVxjl_qH3ycpPDrYsHl9VBkrBPIPHxxEaAlHD8P8HAQ&atclk=Brand_Rosco&mnp=0&c3api=4680%2C111335176979%2Ccto+gel%2Ce&N=4291255266&mxp=20&Ntt=Cto+Gel

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:13 PM
Fred Amico
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Warm white flashlight?

Looks like the sample packs are no longer free, but can be purchased for a small amount:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45189-REG/Rosco_950SBLUX0103_Roscolux_Swatchbook.html

FWIW, Adorama also lists them (currently on back order) for $1.50

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:13 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Warm white flashlight?

Rosco Swatchbook options

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Sep 07, 2016 at 11:40 AM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Warm white flashlight?

I'm actually looking for a warm white 3000k flood flashlight too. I want to do some night wildlife photography where a flash will scare off animals and a flashlight may let animals get used to. I was thinking about 3 options:

SKYRAY KING
Eagletac SX25L3
Lumintop PS03

The lumintop is much much cooler but lasts about triple the battery life of the Skyray. And i'm afraid i will need a flashlight that lasts more than just 30 minutes on it's batteries. Most important is a floodlight beam (no throwlight that has a narrow beam), 'Natural' warm light 3000/4000k, enough Lumen and long lasting battery life.

I'm leaning towards the Eagletac in combination with the diffusor for smooth light at the moment.

Maybe someone can help me out with this.

Sep 11, 2016 at 10:10 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.