Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

Visited the Louvre with my family this summer and made the obligatory pilgrimage to see the Mona Lisa. In that throng of humanity I may have been the only person facing in the direction of the painting. "It's over there!" For the sake of the selfie crowd.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:57 AM
ontime
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

ecarlino wrote:
Yes, you figured me out, I have a completely irrational disdain for an inanimate object and not the people who are acting rude and selfishly. Just like I can't stand your computer and not the person making incoherent statements.

I gave specific examples of people acting in rude and obnoxious ways, even in places where a bit of decorum should go without saying - and lamented that it's now happening almost everywhere. I'd agree there have always been bad actors, even back in the film days, but now, because everyone has these stupid devices and more and more are getting
...Show more

"I gave specific examples" - These are called "anecdotes." Anecdotes are not evidence enough to make generalizations about an entire group of people.

I don't like selfie sticks either, but chez is right. People use selfie sticks are just people. Some of them are obnoxious and have no respect for others, some of them are just regular people having a good time and documenting their experience.

I don't really take many selfies. Occasionally when travelling with the girlfriend we'll set up a tripod to take a picture in front of a landmark or whatever. In retrospect, setting up a tripod is probably more intrusive than a selfie stick. It takes up way more room and takes more time to take the picture. Do you hate all people who take pictures of themselves with tripods?

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:01 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

ontime wrote:
"I gave specific examples" - These are called "anecdotes." Anecdotes are not evidence enough to make generalizations about an entire group of people.

I don't like selfie sticks either, but chez is right. People use selfie sticks are just people. Some of them are obnoxious and have no respect for others, some of them are just regular people having a good time and documenting their experience.

I don't really take many selfies. Occasionally when travelling with the girlfriend we'll set up a tripod to take a picture in front of a landmark or whatever. In retrospect, setting up a tripod is probably
...Show more

the fact that one of the stupidest threads has managed to stay alive this long amuses me.....

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:03 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

kylebarendrick wrote:
Visited the Louvre with my family this summer and made the obligatory pilgrimage to see the Mona Lisa. In that throng of humanity I may have been the only person facing in the direction of the painting. "It's over there!" For the sake of the selfie crowd.

Funny, we made the same observation. It's completely insane - no one was even looking at it with their own eyes. Too busy posting to instagram.

Same happens pretty often in the national parks out here.

Edited on Sep 12, 2016 at 02:18 PM · View previous versions

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:05 PM
ecarlino
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

ontime wrote:
Funny, we made the same observation. It's completely insane - no one even looks at it with their own eyes. Too busy posting to instagram.

Same happens pretty often in the national parks out here.

so you've spoken up twice in 4 minutes, taking practically opposite views back to back.
well done.

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:09 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

ecarlino wrote:
so you've spoken up twice in 4 minutes, taking practically opposite views back to back.
well done.

Fixed typos in my wording, didn't mean to say it like that. Whoops.

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:18 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

Forum Poster A states opinion: I saw these people in this one place taking a selfie and they got in my way. Everyone who takes a selfie is an idiot.
Other Forum Posters state opposing views: It's not the selfie, it's the person. Some people are dumb.
Forum Poster A: Thread is now dumb.

Nice work.

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:21 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

I got criticized for my comment on another similar post but I still stand behind it. It's a shame that people want others to see Them in front of the grand Canyon and Them in front of the Eiffel Tower and Them in front of Niagara Falls instead of the fantastic view They had of such places. "Look at that view, isn't it beautiful?"

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:28 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

I feel sorry for the OP - he and his gf simply want some imagery as memorabilia of their trip.

They can take a selfie shot, then another w/o them in it. Or either can photochop out the other one if they have an ugly breakup someday.

Anyway, good luck to them on their trip - see my monopod comment above

Sep 12, 2016 at 02:34 PM
jmbillings
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

It's not just selfie sticks, based on my recent travels people can't take a picture of anything without them or their partner/family in front of it. I don't understand it myself, but I guess they'd not understand why I want to take a picture of something *without* people in front of it (why not just buy a postcard?)

Sep 12, 2016 at 04:02 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

CosmicCruiser wrote:
I got criticized for my comment on another similar post but I still stand behind it. It's a shame that people want others to see Them in front of the grand Canyon and Them in front of the Eiffel Tower and Them in front of Niagara Falls instead of the fantastic view They had of such places. "Look at that view, isn't it beautiful?"

. Meanwhile, when I see yet another boring photo of Horseshoe Bend or Antelope Canyon indistinguishable from the thousands of others I think "Why bother?" Yet obviously, you see folks line up with their tripods to take the exact same photo. At least the selfie has something original, even if it's the snappers own distorted face.

For the record, I don't object to people taking the same boring photo as a million other people. But I also don't object when someone takes a selfie in front of a landmark to show their friends and family what they're up to.

Sep 12, 2016 at 08:23 PM
rioni
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Selfie stick for Sony RX100iv?

I haven't read the thread - just the title. Selfie sticks represent everything I disdain about travel over the past few years.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:14 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.