1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2016 · Best 50 for A7r2?

bluloo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Best 50 for A7r2?

Really great thread.

Like many, I currently own multiple 50-ish lenses, with the two modern variants being the ZA 55 F1.8 and Loxia 50.
I initially planned to pick up a ZA 50 F1.4, and compare it to the 55 1.8, for my needs.

While it produces gorgeous images, based in large part on info shared here, I opted to check out the Nokton 50mm F1.5 instead. The size of the ZA was a factor, as was the similarity of the images to the ZA 55 (which is a great combination of IQ and size).

I'm still sort of wanting the subject isolation and contrast of the ZA 50, but we'll see how well the Nokton scratches that itch.

Many thanks to all who contributed.

Edited on Dec 02, 2016 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2016 at 01:49 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Best 50 for A7r2?

The A mount ZA 50/1.4 is a wonderful image maker, too bad it came along in the final days of lens development for A, rather than the beginning. It is an 8/5 design weighing 520 grams - considered to be heavy for a 50mm in those pre-GM days of yore.

For those interested in this lens, see the April 2013 video of the master designer (Motoyuki Ohtake) talking (i) MTF (very instructive, as always) (start of video); and (ii) about the development of the ZA 50/1.4 (7:30 in).

Dec 02, 2016 at 04:00 PM
azenis
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Best 50 for A7r2?

It depends on what you are trying to achieve. There's hardly anything absolute in lens decision, only the compromise(s) taken.

The sharpest 50-ish lens on market is the Leica 50mm APO. It beats even the mighty Otus @F2.0, but again, it's only F2... so if you are looking for anything faster plus the fact that not everyone is ready to drop almost 9k on a standard lens, Otus is your friend.

If you want speed, Mitakon/Leica/Canon all offer lenses at F0.95 and it's very hard ($$$ and availability) to get anything faster on FF as far as I'm aware. AF is possible on the Leica via TAP. Or another AF option would be the Canon 50mm F1.0L again via Techart EF-NEX adapter.

If you want rendering, Nikon Noct, Zeiss Biotar, Konica Hexanon 60mm all offer very distinctive renderings, so take your pick. while AF is available via TAP on all 3.

Dec 02, 2016 at 11:09 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.