FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

Two days ago this dragon flew past me as I went about a task in the garden. It was a dull day with rain at times and I did not expect to see this individual again. On the contrary, I had the longest session ever with my camera and a dragonfly.

It settled in two places at about my knee height, allowing me to take a few shots (first single frame image and first stereo).

Then it went to a position, a little above my head height, where it remained on Foxglove fruits for half an hour or more. I had to stand on a garden stool on uneven ground, the resulting wobbles losing many shots. Rain drove me indoors twice. If that was not bad enough, my fill flash batteries emptied after a couple of shots. I have already posted the images from when I returned, with fresh batteries in both flash guns. Here are the earlier ones.

EM-1, manual mode, Kiron 105, f16, twin TTL RC flash, hand-held.

The stereos are crosseye. It is interesting to see that the reflection which seems to be on the surface of the eye, in 3D is clearly deep inside the compound eye.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Edited on Aug 31, 2016 at 12:20 AM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:15 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

The crosseye stereos:

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

© Harold Gough 2016

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:18 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

Some lovely shots Harold. The stereos work well.
The flash reflections on the eyes in the stereos may well be misleading if the flashguns were camera mounted.
Brian v.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:48 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

LordV wrote:
Some lovely shots Harold. The stereos work well.
The flash reflections on the eyes in the stereos may well be misleading if the flashguns were camera mounted.
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

The flash guns were on an L- bracket and in my lens-supporting hand, both angled inwards. I'm pretty sure that the reflections are from the flash. What interests me is what is reflecting the light. It appears to be the equivalent of the retina.

Harold

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:10 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

e6filmuser wrote:
Thanks, Brian.

The flash guns were on an L- bracket and in my lens-supporting hand, both angled inwards. I'm pretty sure that the reflections are from the flash. What interests me is what is reflecting the light. It appears to be the equivalent of the retina.

Harold

What I'm suggesting is that if the flashguns move with the camera (which I assume they would in this case) the stereo position of the flash reflections will be misleading, in other words they are in fact surface reflections but appear to be inside the eye because the light moved.
Interestingly the apparent pattern on dragonfly eyes (the dark spots) does seem to be beneath the surface of the eye in stereos.
Brian v.

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:29 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

LordV wrote:
What I'm suggesting is that if the flashguns move with the camera (which I assume they would in this case) the stereo position of the flash reflections will be misleading, in other words they are in fact surface reflections but appear to be inside the eye because the light moved.
Interestingly the apparent pattern on dragonfly eyes (the dark spots) does seem to be beneath the surface of the eye in stereos.
Brian v.

Now I understand. I have to say that I struggle with the reverse 3D that this seems to suggest. Something to check with e.g. a very shiny black beetle, where we know there is no transparency involved.

Harold

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:48 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

This is a very nice set Harold ~ Ron

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:55 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

The first is my pick for the sharpness and nice background Harold. It would be nice if it were on a natural perch

Morris

Aug 31, 2016 at 07:50 AM
andreloo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Images of Hawker Aeshna affinis Male

Nice set and wonderful capture!! andrei

Aug 31, 2016 at 10:46 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.