New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · In-Person Sales

ShotByTom
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · In-Person Sales

I am doing some research on in-person sales for portrait and wedding photographers. I am interested in how photographers who don't own a studio do in-person sales. I am not a full-time photographer, but hope to be in 2-4 years, so I would like to develop some good habits and an effective process. I have tools now that I think work fine for doing 15-20 jobs a year, but would like to see how people who are doing 5-10 a week are doing in-person sales.

If you are using a projector, what projector are you using, what software and what are you projecting images onto?

Currently I use an iPad Pro and Studio Pro App for proofing and selection. For those of you that use similar tools, do you feel your sales of large prints are lacking because you aren't showing 30" prints?

Does anyone use a client's TV for displaying images from either a laptop or iPad? If so, how are you doing that, software, cables...? Do you feel this helps by showing larger images on the TV vs viewing smaller images on the laptop/iPad screen?

I'm not interested in on-line proofing, sales and delivery. I intend to stick to in-person sales.

I would really love to hear from people who are actually doing this and have a process and system that is working for them. I have read a ton of information on suggestions, and have a lot of information on ways to do this, but I want to focus now on tried and true methods that are actually working for photographers.

Thank you in advance!

Aug 30, 2016 at 06:21 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · In-Person Sales

First of all, what are you trying to sell?
Prints or Digital files? How are you trying to sell? On a numbers of prints/ files basis, coverage time with inclusions ...

Got to know the destination before you know which road to take.

It seems in person sales is becoming unpopular with shooters who seem to want as little to do with their clients as possible so they can spend hours editing or rush to the next job.
Yes, in person is a bit more effort but I think that effort is time well spent that will give a FAR better return from each client than doing everything online.

The more people move away from real customer service, the more effective it becomes for those whom do provide it.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · In-Person Sales

Well, I've never heard of anyone doing in-person sales for digital files, but I guess that could be a thing. I am talking about selling products, wall prints. I'm not worried about how to price them, I'm looking for specific information on how to show images for in-person sales.

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:47 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · In-Person Sales

You sell wall prints by showing wall prints... :-)

Paul

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:37 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · In-Person Sales

yeah...that's why I'm asking! HOW are people showing their products??

Aug 31, 2016 at 06:39 PM
barry685

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · In-Person Sales

The best method for getting the best sales in person is by projection using Timeexposures Proselect.

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:09 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · In-Person Sales

I would think the best way ( I am not doing this, but it makes logistical sense to me) would be carry a big artist bag with big prints to show for impact. Then show the client images on whatever digital screen, but refer back to the samples you brought to help them understand the impact of the large print.

Paul

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:41 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · In-Person Sales

barry685 wrote:
The best method for getting the best sales in person is by projection using Timeexposures Proselect.

Is this based on your experience, or your opinion? I am very interested in how people use projectors without a studio.
I don't know how to pull this off if you are doing the presentation in a clients home, so I would love to hear from people that are actually doing it!

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:38 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · In-Person Sales

Paulthelefty wrote:
I would think the best way ( I am not doing this, but it makes logistical sense to me) would be carry a big artist bag with big prints to show for impact. Then show the client images on whatever digital screen, but refer back to the samples you brought to help them understand the impact of the large print.

Paul

This is how I do it now. I use an iPad Pro and Studio Pro App. The app lets you take a picture of a wall or room with a sheet of letter paper taped to the wall. Then you can do a scaled display with their photos on your iPad.

I also have an Epson Stylus Pro 7900 that I use to print a few of their photos and mount them to foamcore, I take those with me to show an actual size.

Is anyone using the clients TV for presentations?

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:40 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · In-Person Sales

Tom,

I suggest Time Exposure's ProSelect to project your images for selection by clients. Don't use a television. No laptop or iPad. Use a nice projector and go big. Don't show all the images from portrait sessions to your clients---whittle the number down to avoid confusion. Proselect is great to help you gently guide decisions by your clients.

The program allows you to calibrate how large a portrait is projected on the screen and what a selected size will look like----24x30, 30x40, etc. Remember that most clients think that an 8x10 is "big" and you need to show them what size wall portrait they need for their home. You can then offer frames and finishes. I have a studio space so have never projected in a client's home, but I'd try and project onto a wall where the wall portrait is anticipated being displayed.

It's best to also have a display area with large wall portraits framed and well-lit. Show what you sell! Do not offer an online gallery for choices/ordering unless you like selling 5x7 and 8x10s. You won't make overhead. Online galleries are acceptable after an in-person viewing and sales presentation or to share with family/friends of clients after the in-person viewing by the actual client.

Ken

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:45 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · In-Person Sales

I've followed time select back when I was selling to clients at events. IIRC they have a demo that is fairly functional I don't recalled the restrictions on the demo other than a time limit and or maybe a graphic. Check it out if I was selling I'd be using time select a progenitor that can project the image in the location the client plans on hanging it IIRC time select also has frame simulation overlays. I would ask the client the size they are interested in and go up two or three sizes when you display it then let them see the size of their choice in their location and flip back and forth until they decide do that with each of them the framed prints they order.

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:53 PM
barry685

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · In-Person Sales

I do have a studio.
But if you are charging enough and it is worth your while, Projecting on the clients actual wall where they intend to hang their portraits would be extremely beneficial.

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:01 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · In-Person Sales

I'm trying to envision how to accomplish this. Thinking back to my last wedding, they purchased large prints, 2 in the dining room, one in their bedroom and one in the living room. So I would have to move the projector and laptop into the dining room, then to the living room, then into the bedroom?

Is anyone out there actually doing this? How do you handle the logistics of the projector & laptop, tables to put them on..etc?

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:15 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · In-Person Sales

If selling wall prints poses difficulties for you as it clearly does, Why do it?
You could look at other products you can upsell more easily to boost your sales.

Wall prints aren't the be all and end all of getting good orders and profits from clients. There are a lot of other ways that would also fit into your particular situation and transport requirements better.

Wall portraits aren't something a lot of my wedding clients have ever been that keen on. I have never pushed those sales because there are things I can sell much more easily and have the same or better profits. I listen to their comments and feedback and work to that, not what I want.

Few of my wedding clients have any interest in wall prints and when the subject is raised, they in fact express dislike for having large prints of themselves on the wall.
Present them with a slide show however and they are all over it.
Which one makes more sense to go with?

I Have projected in the past and I would say unless you can do that and do it properly in a well practised presentation, you are really going to be behind the 8 ball to start with pushing big prints.

Of course the key question is who wants wall prints?
Have you done any research with your clients to see if the market you are in has a want or desire for them or is it just something you decided you want them to have?

Making sure there is a need or desire on the part of your clients to own what you are selling is a fundamental part of marketing and makes things a lot easier if you offer what your clients want rather than you want to sell.

Sep 02, 2016 at 10:18 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · In-Person Sales

glort wrote:
If selling wall prints poses difficulties for you as it clearly does, Why do it?
You could look at other products you can upsell more easily to boost your sales.

Wall prints aren't the be all and end all of getting good orders and profits from clients. There are a lot of other ways that would also fit into your particular situation and transport requirements better.

Wall portraits aren't something a lot of my wedding clients have ever been that keen on. I have never pushed those sales because there are things I can sell much more easily and have
...Show more

A lot of this doesn't make sense to me...and has nothing to do with my original post. This post was almost as irrelevant as your first post in this thread. Your comments come across as arrogant and very condescending, and have nothing to do with my questions.

I value your feedback on using a projector, and that's exactly what I'm looking for, so thank you for that. I'm not sure how one can use a projector in a client's home without appearing clumsy..

Sep 02, 2016 at 10:38 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · In-Person Sales

ShotByTom wrote

A lot of this doesn't make sense to me...and has nothing to do with my original post.

It has everything to do with your original question. The fact you don't realize that is going to be to your detriment.

I think it is very Naive to even suggest you have to go from room to room to project images.
People selling in the studio sell wall prints very effectively and never go to the peoples home let alone room to room.
The fact you think you have to move things right to the room the print is going in suggests you would do very well to educate yourself in sales and marketing before anything else.

You are not going to find a magic bullet from asking other people what they do nor arrogantly rubbishing suggestions given freely for you benefit that do address the real issue even if it's not the one you think it is or want to hear.

Good luck with this, You sure are going to need it!

Sep 04, 2016 at 04:11 AM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · In-Person Sales

Wow....very arrogant. It wasn't my suggestion to move room to room:

"Projecting on the clients actual wall where they intend to hang their portraits would be extremely beneficial.'

Move along please, I would really like to hear from people who are actually doing in person sales.

Sep 04, 2016 at 05:00 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · In-Person Sales

Tom, in 15 years as a full-time professional photographer, I have never projected images in a clients home. Though technology is getting better and more compact, I still don't think it is the best alternative, though if you did, I'd stay in one place and project/show there.

The real point behind projection is to sell larger portraits. If your aim as a portrait photographer is to sell a bunch of 5x7s and 8x10s and/or digital files for facebook, you might as well resign yourself to being a weekend warrior and keep your day job. (Not a bad thing considering the price of medical insurance and benefits, btw ) And yes, projection also helps wedding clients purchase a high end wedding book/album.

You may not have a formal studio set up but you can set up a viewing room, and this can actually be more effective than setting up your viewing projection room in the actual studio shooting area. The viewing area should be comfortable and can be in a living room type setting. A large screen is relatively inexpensive---I have a ten foot motorized screen that drops down from the ceiling via wireless remote. My projector is ceiling mounted and controlled by remote. This viewing area becomes more of an office or selling appointment area. The options in ProSelect make it easy. My first projection session paid for the screen and projector and then some. I have since semi-retired and as a fine art printer help other photographers produce portraits for their clients.

There are some resources you might find helpful at: http://www.timeexposure.com/portraitstudiosoftware.php

Ken Doo
www.carmelfineartprinting.com

Sep 04, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · In-Person Sales

I never read gloats original comment as bad , I think you had a preconceived idea and his post went against it. I'm the one who posted using the projector to sell larger prints. I got it from a photographer in the Cincinnati area that is well know. They use it to show the client that this size of photo fits the area where they intend on hanging it better than the original size. What they do is setup a single time with the projector projecting the image with a faux frame like the client orders on the wall where they intend to hang it. Then depending on the location they show the next size larger and they do this until the proper size print is found for the area. I guess if you desired to sell multiple large prints and you or the client needs to see every print on the wall then it's up to you but the idea is to upsize the main print of the event. You can us a tripod with a plate for projectors or laptops if you need a place to setup everything. You can even if desired setup a laptop and projector on a properly outfitted tripod. Or use a tripod for the projector and set the laptop on the floor. That's a logistical question and beyond your original question. If your having problem visualizing the concept then maybe it's not for you. Be creative in your photography and in your sales methods so that you are unique and that's why your clients come to you you don't want to split the sales with others in your area you want to be unique and dominate them because of your creative style both before, during and after the snap of the shutter if th isn't for you find a studio who needs someone to trip a shutter that has a checklist from booking the client to taking the photos and then for saleing the different packages they have. No insult intended you might just need some guidance before going out on your own.

Sep 06, 2016 at 03:52 PM
ShotByTom
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · In-Person Sales

Wow....I'll just move on and repost my question...

I would really love to hear from people who are actually doing this and have a process and system that is working for them. I have read a ton of information on suggestions, and have a lot of information on ways to do this, but I want to focus now on tried and true methods that are actually working for photographers.

Sep 06, 2016 at 05:01 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.