FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       7       end

Archive 2016 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Phillip Reeve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Asked Sony for a loaner and it arrived less than 24h later. Too bad i have absolutely no time right now. Expect some more less technical results early next week.
All developed with default settings in LR. More in this flickr album

Sony FE 2.8/50 Macro | f/2.8 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Oct 07, 2016 at 06:10 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

It actually looks pretty nice. I don't see onion rings and the bokeh balls look round with nice fallloff.

Oct 07, 2016 at 08:25 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I see little loCA in those images. There are maybe some traces, but not bothersome it seems.

Oct 07, 2016 at 09:44 AM
lr0868

p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I picked up one of these and it is darn sharp, here are a few I took yesterday with my A6300. BTW Unique Photo has them in stock if anyone is looking.

Oct 07, 2016 at 11:23 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Sharpness looks pretty fine:

Flare resistance is awesome:

The aperture blades are not rounded:

Sunstars are mushy none the less

At longer distances bokeh deteriorates:

More full resolution samples in my Sony FE 2.8/50 Macro set

Oct 07, 2016 at 01:14 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Thanks for the tests.

Oct 08, 2016 at 04:35 AM
stevei
• • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I got one of these today. AF-C doesn't seem to work, the focus just continuously pumps back and forth, not over the full range, just over a small range around the point of correct focus. It does this even at f/2.8, in good light, and with a subject I'd expect to be easy for it to focus on. Maybe I just need a firmware update, has anyone else had this behaviour?

I think the lens produces images with a nice overall look, as I expected from Phillip's pictures above.

However, my copy appears to be quite badly decentered, with the right side much sharper than the left, and the situation reversed when the lens is used upside down:

http://www.cloudedforest.com/sharedfiles/sony50macroupsidedowncomparison.jpg

Of course, the retailer is now out of stock, so I can't immediately try another one. If both sides were as good as the right hand side of this lens, it would be a very impressive lens, but maybe whatever issue is making the left hand side soft is also making the right hand side sharper than it would be with a symmetrical copy. The above pictures were taken at f/4.

Note that it was a cloudy sunny day, so the sun is brighter for one of the two pictures above, making the picture with the brighter sun look a bit sharper and more contrasty, but the left right difference is roughly the same in both pictures.

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:17 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

stevei wrote:

I got one of these today. AF-C doesn't seem to work, the focus just continuously pumps back and forth, not over the full range, just over a small range around the point of correct focus. It does this even at f/2.8, in good light, and with a subject I'd expect to be easy for it to focus on. Maybe I just need a firmware update, has anyone else had this behaviour?

I think the lens produces images with a nice overall look, as I expected from Phillip's pictures above.

However, my copy appears to be quite badly decentered, with the right side
...Show more

A common cause of the AFC pumping at wider apertures is that somehow the camera got turned to CDAF mode. Find the wretched setting deep in the menus and turn on PDAF cures it....It happened to me once, and I have no idea how. Bug?

Oct 10, 2016 at 05:42 PM
stevei
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

DavidBM wrote:
A common cause of the AFC pumping at wider apertures is that somehow the camera got turned to CDAF mode. Find the wretched setting deep in the menus and turn on PDAF cures it....It happened to me once, and I have no idea how. Bug?

I've just been through every menu page and I can't see any way to switch between PDAF and CDAF - can you remember anything about where it is located? I've attempted to search for the answer on the web but haven't found anything.

Oct 11, 2016 at 04:42 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

stevei wrote:
I've just been through every menu page and I can't see any way to switch between PDAF and CDAF - can you remember anything about where it is located? I've attempted to search for the answer on the web but haven't found anything.

I think it's the second item on the seventh page of the gear menu..."AF system" but I can't confirm coz I only have MF lenses with me at the moment so it's greyed out!

I thought that I wasnt keen on a firmware change to the new menu structure that's come out for a6500 and A99ii; but looking at how randomly scattered these menu items are I think I am prepared to learn a new structure,,,

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:02 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I believe, the selection between PDAF and CDAF, when using a native FE lens, is disabled.

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:30 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

AGeoJO wrote:
I believe, the selection between PDAF and CDAF, when using a native FE lens, is disabled.

Ah that would explain it! I found that my TechArt basically didn't work, massive pumping and incorrect focus. Then I found that the camera was set to CDAF and when I switched to PDAF all was well. But I was mystified how it got to be set that way, and why my native lenses were as fast as they were on CDAF. But it must have only applied t adapters. Thanks!

But of course that means my suggestion to the OP is pointless, since he is concerned with a native lens (probably someone has suggested this, but it pays to set yeh focus limiter appropriately on macro lenses)

Oct 11, 2016 at 05:48 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

My Sony FE 2.8/50 Macro Rolling Reviewist online now.

Sony_FE_50mmf2p8_Macro-10 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Sony_FE_50mmf2p8_Macro-9 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Sony_FE_50mmf2p8_Macro-14 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Sony_FE_50mmf2p8_Macro-2 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Sony_FE_50mmf2p8_Macro-6 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

Oct 12, 2016 at 03:25 AM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Phillip, you list the 900 degree focus throw as a con in your rolling review. I've tried and owned several macro lenses, and the ones I liked the best are those with a really long focus throw.

Leica 100/2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, 720 degrees, 1:2
Voigtländer 125/2.5 Apo Macro Lanthar, 720 degrees, 1:1
Olympus M.Zuiko 60/2.8 for m43, 2160 degrees, or 6 full turns if you turn the focus ring VERY slowly, 1:1
Olympus Zuiko Digital 50/2 for 43. 720 degrees, 1:2

The Sony 90/2.8 works much better in true focus by wire mode with 5 full turns from infinty to 1:1 magnification, than with the focus scale, that disapoints with its 180 degree focus throw from infinity to 1:1.

A part of the secret for unlocking the potential in those great lenses is the opportunity for precision in those lenses. A lens in the wrong end of this scale is the Nikon AF-S 105/2.8 VR with a meagre 180 degrees turn from infinity down to the close up limit.

I find that the 900 degrees focus throw, or two and a half turn, from ininity to life size of the Sony 50/2.8 FE macro is a real plus. So. Phillip, please don't encourage the manufacturers to go back to the useless 180 degrees turn of some DSLR focus clutch lenses.

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:52 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

bjornthun wrote:
Phillip, you list the 900 degree focus throw as a con in your rolling review. I've tried and owned several macro lenses, and the ones I liked the best are those with a really long focus throw.

Leica 100/2.8 Apo Macro Elmarit, 720 degrees, 1:2
Voigtländer 125/2.5 Apo Macro Lanthar, 720 degrees, 1:1
Olympus M.Zuiko 60/2.8 for m43, 2160 degrees, or 6 full turns if you turn the focus ring VERY slowly, 1:1
Olympus Zuiko Digital 50/2 for 43. 720 degrees, 1:2

The Sony 90/2.8 works much better in true focus by wire mode with 5 full turns from infinty to 1:1 magnification, than with
...Show more
I see your point and I have criticized other Macros for the steep transmission. I have removed the point and will keep my attention on the issue to form a opinion on the issue which goes beyond my initial impression.

Oct 12, 2016 at 09:09 AM
naviinside

p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Firstly, thanks for review and some sample photos!

I have few questions :

Is there any detail review or comment regarding this macro capabilities? maybe for small things or bugs? I used to have 100mm when I used Canon and kinda miss the macro photography things. That's why I consider this lens, because 90mm is too expensive for me right now. My body is a7.

Oh, and I need to know whether I can use it on bugs or not so I will not have high expectation if is not possible.

#2.
I kinda want a good prime lens, now I have 1635 and 55210, and I consider this lens. So which one is better?
- sony FE 50mm 1.8
- sony FE 50mm 2.8 macro
- manual lens + adapter?
- or maybe other option? like 35mm?
I need that for general daily usage and low light event, that's why if possible I prefer smaller and lightweight lens. I kinda towards 50mm f2.8 but kinda turn off because some people said that the AF speed is slow. I
am okay with manual focus but I just hope with that price, I can get decent AF.

How sharp is it? I tried to check some pictures and I got mix feeling on it. Sometimes it looks really sharp, sometimes not .. My friend test this lens and he said this lens feel sharper than his zeiss zoom lens ( I forgot the range ), but I dont have the pictures with me.

Thanks in advanced!!

Oct 12, 2016 at 06:38 PM
stevei
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

This video shows exactly what I described as the lens "pumping" back and forth when auto focusing in AF-C mode:

It's not really the same as what people normally describe as hunting, as it's only re-focusing over a very small range, but doing it quite rapidly, going back and forth in the vicinity of the correct focus over and over again.

Oct 21, 2016 at 01:58 PM
leetmode
• •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

so how does this lens do in regards to macro? I need to do some macro work but don't really feeling spending the money for the 90mm.

Oct 28, 2016 at 01:16 PM
leetmode
• •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Asked Sony for a loaner and it arrived less than 24h later. Too bad i have absolutely no time right now. Expect some more less technical results early next week.
All developed with default settings in LR. More in this flickr album

https://c5.staticflickr.com/9/8416/29539949604_27bcc90d9f_b.jpgSony FE 2.8/50 Macro | f/2.8 by Phillip Reeve Data, on Flickr

hey phillip, if you don't mind sharing, where did you get that camera strap from?

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:17 PM
matthewm
• • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Seems that this lens loves being shot at shorter distances, but gets a little wonky with longer distances, especially with busy backgrounds. Not sure there's a whole lot of value in this when the 50/1.8 can be had for $199 and you can pick up a set of Meike AE Extension Tubes from Amazon (which, despite being plastic and cheap work VERY well) for $20.

Oct 28, 2016 at 05:47 PM
       7       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.