1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Archive 2016 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Charlie N
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

itai195 wrote:
I could see carrying this instead of the FE 55 for landscape work. I don't always go out intending to shoot macro, so having a lens that could pull double duty in a pinch, and save myself from carrying the 90 just in case, would be useful. I used to use the ZF.2 50/2 for just such a purpose when I shot Nikon.

I'm the same. I'de likely trade my FE 55 for this macro, using the mitakon 50 for the bokeh..... right after I get the 24-70 GM

I currently use a very inexpensive sigma 50 macro in EF mount. Good optics for both landscapes and macro, would love to replace it with something native.

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:46 PM
justruss
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

The major factor for me is going to be autofocus speed. If it's like the FE 50mm f/1.8-- I'll pass. If it's like the FE 28mm f/2-- I may trade in the FE 50mm f/1.8.

Sep 01, 2016 at 01:47 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

justruss wrote:
The major factor for me is going to be autofocus speed. If it's like the FE 50mm f/1.8-- I'll pass. If it's like the FE 28mm f/2-- I may trade in the FE 50mm f/1.8.

This is the reason I brought up the external focusing in the first place. The only other external focusing E mount lens is very slow. Hoping this is better

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:12 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

The 28/2 is one of my favotire 'sleeper' lenses; sleeper in that many skip them due to cost when in fact that are awesome lenses. I even like the 28/2 with the 21mm adapter=not nearly as bad as many would claim.
I think I'll still save up for the FE 90 but when we see the results of the FE 50 macor it still will serve a purpose especially for the surprise macro that might come up and you've packed for something else but not enough macro potential to pack the 90.

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:57 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

That is indeed the real minus with focus by extension. Though it is pretty light. So maybe it's fine. For macro purposes it doesn't matter because you would likely be using MF. But for use as a normal lens wide open it might.

I actually wonder if it is *pure* focus by extension. When you look at the lens focused to 1:1 it doesn't seem to extend nearly far enough out to be a 50 focused at life size - more like what I would expect at 1:2.

Maybe (maybe) it's hybrid: internal focus for the normal range, then starts to extend in the macro range? The magnification markings also suggest that most of the extension is in the macro range...
trogdon wrote:

Just a thought...

This is the reason I brought up the external focusing in the first place. The only other external focusing E mount lens is very slow. Hoping this is better

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:24 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

It could be a good option for landscapes as long as it works well at infinity distances. Many macro lenses do not perform particularly well at infinity.
Being a dedicated 1:1 macro, it should be flat field and optimized for macro distances. Let's hope it's usable for other distances as well.

itai195 wrote:
I could see carrying this instead of the FE 55 for landscape work. I don't always go out intending to shoot macro, so having a lens that could pull double duty in a pinch, and save myself from carrying the 90 just in case, would be useful. I used to use the ZF.2 50/2 for just such a purpose when I shot Nikon.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:20 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I found this part of the press release at dpreview very interesting: "The new FE 50mm F2.8 Macro lens features an ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass to effectively compensate for axial chromatic aberration at close focus"

It will be interesting to see if the part about compensating axial CA a.k.a. longitudinal CA at close distances is true. I also wonder how it will fare at long distances or infinity wrt. CA, and at what apertures.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:58 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

I noticed that as well David and perhaps it's a hybrid as you speculated. The marking 1:1 extension does not seem long enough.
What is the working distance? At 0.16m MFD (subject to sensor), it should be an inch or even less.
Does it have FLE?

DavidBM wrote:
That is indeed the real minus with focus by extension. Though it is pretty light. So maybe it's fine. For macro purposes it doesn't matter because you would likely be using MF. But for use as a normal lens wide open it might.

I actually wonder if it is *pure* focus by extension. When you look at the lens focused to 1:1 it doesn't seem to extend nearly far enough out to be a 50 focused at life size - more like what I would expect at 1:2.

Maybe (maybe) it's hybrid: internal focus for the normal range, then starts to extend
...Show more

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:35 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Fred someone else (Bjorn? Not sure) calculated that given the published MFD the focal length at 1:1 must be about 40mm, which suggests strongly that there is an FLE or at least some reconfiguration of elements to allow the focal length to change. That makes it very likely it doesn't unit focus, and might explain the limited extension. If they have been very clever it might mean fast focus in the non macro range.

I don't mind the reduced focal length - one reason to have a shorter macro as well as the 90 (aside from as a light dual purpose hiking optic) is to have something with the slightly less flat perspective, at cost of course to working distance.

Fred Miranda wrote:
I noticed that as well David and perhaps it's a hybrid as you speculated. The marking 1:1 extension does not seem long enough.
What is the working distance? At 0.16m MFD (subject to sensor), it should be an inch or even less.
Does it have FLE?

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:10 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

DavidBM wrote:
Fred someone else (Bjorn? Not sure) calculated that given the published MFD the focal length at 1:1 must be about 40mm, which suggests strongly that there is an FLE or at least some reconfiguration of elements to allow the focal length to change. That makes it very likely it doesn't unit focus, and might explain the limited extension. If they have been very clever it might mean fast focus in the non macro range.

I don't mind the reduced focal length - one reason to have a shorter macro as well as the 90 (aside from as a light dual purpose
...Show more

Yes, I did that calculation. At 1:1 magnification a symmetrical lens will give a distance of 4 times its' focal length between film and object. So with a MFD of 160mm we see that 4 x 40mm = 160mm. At 1:1 the Sony 50/2.8 behaves like a symmetrical 40mm lens. That's why I think it's a floating element construction or as you say, the distance between the lens elements is reconfigured.

I'm fine with the shrinkage of the focal length here. Most modern macro lenses show this behaviour, so it's the price we pay to get 1:1 magnification built in without using extension tubes. The old Olympus Zuiko 50/3.5 goes only to 1:2 magnification, and is fairly symmetrical, if memory serves.

Sep 02, 2016 at 04:02 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Is it just me or does that MFT not look hugely flat field?

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:53 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Beni wrote:
Is it just me or does that MFT not look hugely flat field?

Looks pretty flat to me (though at what distance this is I have no idea)
Remember that's a messy chart that isn't helped by being black and white: it includes 4 different sets of values; wide open and F8 for both the contrast (10&) and resolution (30%) components. That's 8 lines.

The only relatively low pair is presumably the wide open 30 which is reasonably OK (never worse than 60%) which suggests good but not amazing resolution with very good contrast wide open at (likely) portrait (=IMATEST) distances.

The contrast wide open is good and flat, and the F8 looks stellar. Needs to be confirmed, but if the f8 performance is great it'll make it a very handy landscape lens doing dual duty as a macro. I could be tempted at the prince to get one to take on hiking trips that I hope will be botanically interesting, where I have in the past regretted not taking a macro (or have taken my lightest macro - an old OM 3.5/50 - that's fine but not great for landscape and not very high contrast)

For wide open portraits the central area looks good, but probably not as good as the 1.8/55, 2/50 or 1.4/50 centrally and definitely at the edges. But likely (also TBC) fine for portraits.

One minor annoyance: it seems like Sony are now going to give us MTF at different measures for G master and consumer lenses. That will make it very hard to compare on paper.

Sep 02, 2016 at 05:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Update: The new Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens is now in stock:

B&H Photo | Adorama ($498)

Sep 30, 2016 at 04:26 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Did you all see this link? http://photo.yodobashi.com/gear/sony/lens/sel50m28.html Pretty spectacular images. My copy arrives on Monday can't wait to try it out.

Oct 01, 2016 at 08:28 AM
realVivek
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

dennishh wrote:
Did you all see this link? http://photo.yodobashi.com/gear/sony/lens/sel50m28.html Pretty spectacular images.

They look fuzzy with very little details.

Oct 01, 2016 at 08:31 AM
dennishh
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Your welcome....

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:08 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Post some samples when you get it. Looks like an amazing lens.

dennishh wrote:
Did you all see this link? http://photo.yodobashi.com/gear/sony/lens/sel50m28.html Pretty spectacular images. My copy arrives on Monday can't wait to try it out.

Oct 01, 2016 at 10:09 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Here is slrclub review in Korean with raw samples:
http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&no=533

and hands on/samples from photokina:
http://www.verybiglobo.com/sony-fe-502-8-macro-hands-on-photokina-2016/

Oct 01, 2016 at 12:09 PM
dennishh
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Thanks for the links very nice lens for$500.

Oct 01, 2016 at 03:32 PM
Everythingis1
• •
[X]
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · In stock! Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro

Anybody pick one up yet?

Oct 03, 2016 at 04:14 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.