1       2       3      
       5              8       9       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

cgarcia wrote:
At the least we would end with less sharpness (half the resolution) if we only use the secondary subframe.

Nope, the subpixels are designed to sit behind the same microlens and record the exit pupil, not the image. No resolution is lost by only recording half of the exit pupil, which for an in-focus object is horizontally symmetrical (ignoring aberrations).

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:50 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Matt Grum wrote:
You can increase DR without changing noise into signal. DR is the difference between the noise floor and the saturation point, raising the saturation point alone will increase DR for the same [absolute] level of noise in the image.

Increasing the saturation point (full well capacity) usually results in more read noise due to the higher capacitance / lower conversation gain necessary to hold and transfer the larger charge, thus the net effect on DR could be neutral to negative.

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:51 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Tom_W wrote:
Tests from DPReview on the 5D4...

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3229755227/canon-5d-mark-iv-brings-dramatic-dynamic-range-improvements-to-the-5d-line

And true to form, DPR illustrates the Canon article with a grotesquely-toned HDR shot from a Nikon D810...

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:16 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Matt Grum wrote:
DR is the difference between the noise floor and the saturation point, raising the saturation point alone will increase DR for the same [absolute] level of noise in the image.

snapsy wrote:
Increasing the saturation point (full well capacity) usually results in more read noise due to the higher capacitance / lower conversation gain necessary to hold and transfer the larger charge, thus the net effect on DR could be neutral to negative.

For actually increasing the FWC of the photosites, yes.

However, taking a step back and looking at the entire signal processing chain there are ways to increase the effective saturation point (i.e. the amount of light received before a maximum digital signal is recorded) without affecting the noise floor. A simple example would be removing any unnecessary clipping of the signal (cameras which implement the highest ISO settings digitally do this)

That's exactly what I'm talking about here, if Canon are adding two 14-bit signals from the subpixels and storing the result as a 14-bit value then that creates an artificial saturation point, thus increasing DR is possible. This is hypothetical as I don't have the implementation details in front of me!

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:43 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

More on reading the DR discussion, more curious why Nikon use a lower low ISO DR sensor on their new flagship D5 at this time.

Sep 01, 2016 at 10:36 AM
bhollis
• •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

KKFung wrote:
More on reading the DR discussion, more curious why Nikon use a lower low ISO DR sensor on their new flagship D5 at this time.

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this, but my understanding is that while on-chip ADCs substantially reduce "downstream" read noise (improving low-ISO DR), they can actually slightly increase "upstream" read noise (reducing high ISO performance).

Although I haven't seen any confirmation of this, there's been some speculation that Nikon moved the ADCs off chip in the D5 in order to maximize high ISO performance (while sacrificing, at least to some extent, low-ISO DR). This makes a lot of sense to me with a sports/action camera like the D5. But less so with an all-rounder like the 5DIV.

Sep 01, 2016 at 11:30 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

molson wrote:
And true to form, DPR illustrates the Canon article with a grotesquely-toned HDR shot from a Nikon D810...

I thought the same thing.

I don't care that he used a Nikon, as it was meant to illustrate a point, but the toning was excessive.

I find that Rishi has an interesting take on technical issues, and value his information, but some of the things photographers are doing with these sensors falls into the category of "stupid DR tricks" (to me).

Sep 01, 2016 at 11:38 AM
cgarcia
• •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

skibum5 wrote:
that said Iliah Borg often knows what he is talking about, so maybe his magic is not magic but real, becomign a little dubious, but it would be fantastic if true, he seems to claim the full RAW show solid clipped colors in highlights where he claims you can see well distinguished values and he claims there seems to be no weird histograms holes or anything, but I agree it does seem all a bit strange and seems a little hard to believe....

I now think that Iliah is right.

And yesterday I likely was entirely wrong, despite my confidence and conviction.

All after looking this DPRAW picture:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/58272053

I have completely changed my mind. The main (complete) image is considerably clipped (14% of the area upon the shown stats) but the extra subimage isn't at all: both saturate at the same point, but the exposure is obviously not the same (I must admit that this was just what the histograms in the dpreview thread/RawDigger web already shown. I believe that DPRAW extra secondary RAW image is perfectly handled by that application and the shown data is correct).

Anyway there is something not right here.

If all of this is as true as it seems, Canon is effectively wasting 1 EV of dynamic range. They could have fixed this, e.g.:

1. Compensating the RAW values in the combined image. Just like ISO 160 is obtained from ISO 200 multiplied by 0.8 in many cameras, this time they could have used 0.5 to move the histogram back to the left. I think that wouldn't damage the data, only remove a bit of noise from the shadows (well, that would also yield a darker image... and maybe Canon didn't want to tag the combined ISO 100 subpixels, to honor the exposure meters, as an ISO 50 for the whole image).

2. Storing an additional 15th bit in the RAW file, but this could break the file specs and/or turn crazy the converters. And I think it is not really required, because the sensor doesn't goes beyond 14 bits of DR at the pixel level (the properly combined subframes, without clipping, would yield about 13.6 EV at pixel level).

Combining images adds their signals, but the noise gets combined by the square root of their squares. So to yield the read noise of 2.5 ADU for the main image that we already have measured on average, we should expect a read noise of 1.77 ADU in each subimage:

2.50 = sqrt(1.77^2 + 1.77^2)

This implies a DR of log2((16383-512)/(1.77)) = 13.1 EV for each separate subimage at the pixel level (14.1 EV DXO-normalized, compared with the 13.6 for the main combined image). That is, thanks to not clipping the highlights, and even having only half the signal, the extra subimage likely outperforms in DR the main combined image by about 0.5 EV!. But using only the subimage I assume that sharpness would decrease. It would be interesting to compare both at 100%.

And also it would be interesting to experimentally measure the read noise of the extra subimage, but DCRAW can't extract it (I don't know if RawDigger shows the optical black area, I confess that I haven't tried it). If it finally is not 1.77 that would break my reasoning and could hint something else.

Another interesting thing to look at would be a ISO 50 RAW file from 5D4.

If this negative feature is totally confirmed coming for free, it there could be also commercial or marketing reasons behind the Canon decision. But it would be not easy at all to assimilate, because users value a lot each bit of DR... and this is a full bit!

Edited on Sep 01, 2016 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2016 at 01:54 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

garyvot wrote:
I thought the same thing.

I don't care that he used a Nikon, as it was meant to illustrate a point, but the toning was excessive.

I find that Rishi has an interesting take on technical issues, and value his information, but some of the things photographers are doing with these sensors falls into the category of "stupid DR tricks" (to me).

High DR capture requires different sorts of discipline. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But just because you can be tempted to take things too far-- doesn't mean there aren't advantages capturing so much information. It's something all of us have to grapple with and re-learn when we get access to such sensors. There's a lot of room for cringeworthy mistakes... but also room for better final images.

A car can have enough juice to spin its wheels into stubs of smoking rubber: that sort of power can be an advantage, even if spinning the wheels isn't the best way to make use of that power when your goal is to accelerate and go fast. It's kinda like that. Slam the pedal at the wrong time, and you get nowhere. Slam it at the right time and you make full use of it.

Sep 01, 2016 at 01:56 PM
cgarcia
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

I have managed to decode, separately, the secondary extra subimage from a DPRAW file!

Simply, dcraw already has the "-s" option to select the RAW image number.

Comparing the main image resolution with the subimage boosted (to get a similar brighness) I see almost no difference, but have not played with sharpening. Looking at the full pictures (switching from one into another) you can notice a subtle "change" in the room illumination position :-)

Original file: E5D4hSLI000100DPRaw_FINE.CR2 (Imaging resource)

Here follows the full size images (only converted to jpeg from the ppm).

Note: the black border at the left and top is the optical area (where the read noise is measured) and was not removed because the camera is not yet supported. Note that dcraw also requires to manually select the black and saturation points.

Main image:
dpraw_main.jpg
(dcraw -k 512 -S 16383 -W -s 0 -v E5D4hSLI000100DPRaw_FINE.CR2)

Secondary extra subimage:
dpraw_extra.jpg
(dcraw -k 512 -S 16383 -W -s 1 -v E5D4hSLI000100DPRaw_FINE.CR2)

Secondary extra subimage with brighness boosted 1 EV by dcraw
dpraw_extra_boost.jpg
(dcraw -b 2 -k 512 -S 16383 -W -s 1 -v E5D4hSLI000100DPRaw_FINE.CR2)

Curiously, the read noise in the secondary extra subimage is also around 2.50 ADU (not 1.77).
So no more dynamic range in the secondary extra subimage, as I wrongly expected.

My theory of Canon binning by software two secondary subimages to get the main image seems wrong.
Perhaps the hardware does already captures the combined plus the extra?
And the extra is 1 EV underexposed, allowing for some DR experiments...

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:14 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

zeljko wrote:
You can set radius in Unsharp Mask in Photoshop from 0.1, In ACR minimal value for radius is 0.5.

oops yeah you are totally correct, not sure what I was thinking

Sep 01, 2016 at 05:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

cgarcia wrote:
I have managed to decode, separately, the secondary extra subimage from a DPRAW file!

Simply, dcraw already has the "-s" option to select the RAW image number.

Comparing the main image resolution with the subimage boosted (to get a similar brighness) I see almost no difference, but have not played with sharpening. Looking at the full pictures (switching from one into another) you can notice a subtle "change" in the room illumination position :-)

Original file: E5D4hSLI000100DPRaw_FINE.CR2 (Imaging resource)

Here follows the full size images (only converted to jpeg from the ppm).

Note: the black border at the left and top is the optical area
...Show more

Maybe they were afraid of just using the 1/2 for the extra stop since lighting and some bokeh effects might be uneven across the frame of shifted compared to every lower stop? I wonder how noticeable it would be when dealing with just the top stop highlights. Maybe it makes it not quite be able to be used in this way, which would be unfortunate.

Something about it all seems a bit odd and curious. And curious too how every color channel seems to have a totally different read noise just in general.

One thing also, using Iris to do the read noise stuff, not it matters what you use, I found that more recent cameras for some time now seem to store something in the top black area so only the side margins not overlapping the top part seem valid for reading read noise these days.

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

cgarcia wrote:
My theory of Canon binning by software two secondary subimages to get the main image seems wrong.
Perhaps the hardware does already captures the combined plus the extra?

I would expect that is done is done in hardware like the other DP sensors.

EBH

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:26 PM
KKFung
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

bhollis wrote:
I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will chime in on this, but my understanding is that while on-chip ADCs substantially reduce "downstream" read noise (improving low-ISO DR), they can actually slightly increase "upstream" read noise (reducing high ISO performance).

Although I haven't seen any confirmation of this, there's been some speculation that Nikon moved the ADCs off chip in the D5 in order to maximize high ISO performance (while sacrificing, at least to some extent, low-ISO DR). This makes a lot of sense to me with a sports/action camera like the D5. But less so with an all-rounder like the 5DIV.

I see, seem it is logic, a trade off issue. And the canon new sensor should be doing excellent now when they put on chip AD and keep high ISO performance at same time

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:41 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

bhollis wrote:

I'm sure that there will be a D5s to fix any sensor shortcomings. Upgrades are like the Iphones.

EBH

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:44 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

from canon learning:
"Before a picture is taken, for focus purposes, light is gathered from the A and B pixel areas separately, and read as two independent signals.
Each light-sensitive side of a pixel can be independently controlled.
But when an actual still image (or video frame) is recorded an instant later, the two separate signals from the A and B sides of each pixel are combined, to generate one single brightness signal from each pixel. Thus, each pixel gets essentially the same full photo diode area that a convention sensor (without Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology) would have.

In effect, Dual Pixel RAW images have a full “layer” — figuratively speaking — of digital information from each pixel, using the conventional combined A and B output from all the pixels on the imaging sensor. But in addition, they add what we can think of as parallax information from just the A-side of each pixel."

So the sensor seems to be able to combine in HW and send that out and also be fast enough to send out A side only information. For whatever reason it seems like when the hardware adds the two sides everything goes up 1 stop and the top stop gets clipped 1 stop compared to just the A side alone (and I'd assume the non-accessible B side alone). Maybe it has only 14 bit HW and it adds them in 14 bits which overflows one stop and then it divides back down by 2 or something.

It seems like instead of going for this micro-shifting and slight bokeh and flare change stuff they could have instead of sending out A channel, taken A/2 + B/2 and written that to the extra channel and then from that you could get the extra stop of highlights but taken from combined channels so no potentially weird side to side lighting effect shifts for the top stop and then you'd have your ability to get your full extra stop without any bad issues possible at all. But maybe that is too much math to be put on the sensor.

It also seems like it seems like their sensor+new ADC on chip system actually can deliver as much DR as Nikon can manage at ISO100 or in that range but by going with DualPixel design for AF for video and using 14bit HW they are losing a stop and it seems like perhaps all dualpixel bodies could have had one more stop of DR had they been traditional AF cameras only? Or if they simply decide to care more about DR than this minor focus shift, bokeh shift stuff.... honestly I sort of think it would've been far more worth it to just deliver the extra stop without compromise than this bokeh, flare, focus micro shift stuff which I'm not sure will end up being used all that much once the novelty wear off. I mean I'm sure it could be useful at times but....

Also almost sounds like if they could just stick something that could add two 14 bit values and then divide and just retain one extra bit before dividing they could have best of both worlds, but for one reason or another that is not done yet??

Perhaps one can use the A channel to truly extend the DR another full stop, I just wonder if the slightly directly pickup of light to A channel side will create too many weird issues in the final result though. Would really be a shame if that is the case. I also wonder if it would be a constant correction factor and you could just apply a slight increasing brightness shift horizontally across the screen, but it might depend upon where light sources were and be non-constant, but not sure, it might be possible to correct it uniformly in software, sure it costs a touch of SNR yet again, now for the second time, but then again as I said before who the heck cares about SNR for the top stop at ISO100! It's so good up there I doubt you'd notice any noise added. Maybe it can work?

Hmm sounds almost like they could have delivered a camera that totally matched D810 for DR at low ISO but decided to instead give it DualPixelAF at the cost of that stop (which I guess would also be a full stop DR lost at any ISO too even very high ISO? where DR is really at a premium) or since they maybe could have found a way to still deliver it at the cost of 60MP file size had they simply decided to focus on DR over this weird bokeh/focus/flare stuff (although maybe what would be need to be done to save the top stop would heat the sensor too much or slow it down too much or something?).

Not sure at what stage what is done, so not sure if it's the sensor or even DIGIC where the clip happens, if DIGIG then it's a shame they didn't make a DIGIC 6++ that could just have a new instruction with a single 15 bit value buffer or something for doing a simply 'long' math instruction that adds, keeps extra bit divides by 2, returns 14bit results. but maybe that's hard to pull off.

COuld be wrong though, very tired and brain is asleep. And something about what I wrote above feels a bit off and not entirely sensible.

more:
"In answer to the inevitable question about using third-party RAW processing software from other companies, Canon has no idea whether any of these software programs will have the ability to leverage the Dual Pixel RAW technology and add processing options beyond ordinary RAW image adjustments. It’s up to each independent company making their own RAW process software to take RAW files from Canon cameras, reverse-engineer what’s needed to process them into finished images, and incorporate this into updated versions of software that are compatible with RAW files from the latest cameras."

wonder why they make them reverse engineer it all, seems like stabbing themselves in the back

Edited on Sep 01, 2016 at 09:30 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:07 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

A little more information on dual pixel and DR from RawDigger...

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/canon-dual-pixel-mode-highlights-are-there

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:17 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Tom_W wrote:
A little more information on dual pixel and DR from RawDigger...

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/canon-dual-pixel-mode-highlights-are-there

Maybe my analysis above is correct then after all in my post just above, as what's written above seems to come to the same sort of conclusion about one main premises I hit upon.

It still seems bizarre Canon would just toss away an entire stop of DR and have designed stuff like this to give away what could be direct performance for DR as good as anything else out there at ISO100 (and probably better at higher ISOs than anything else out there).

Now it remains to be seen if saving the extra stop from A channel only causes too many issues and if they are ones not uniformly fixable.

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:36 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

So why isn't the full well capacity of these dual pixels half that of a normal pixel of twice the size? Clearly it isn't or the sensor would have 1 less stop highlight DR, but still it seems impressive they can make half-sized pixels that still clip at same value as the normal full sized pixel in say a 5D3.

What am I missing, well other than brain cells.

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:54 AM
phibes
• •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon 5D4 dynamic range analyzed from RAWs

Makes you wonder what would be possible ins terms of DR if Canon left out all that DP stuff ... maybe ne 6D successor will tell.

Sep 02, 2016 at 01:39 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.