New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

lroger

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

Hello Everyone,

I've just had some old Kodachrome 35mm slides scanned and am looking for an excellent pro-quality lab to make some prints. I'm thinking I'd like to display them on my living room wall in sizes from 5"x7" up to 16"x20"; maybe mounted/framed in a variety of print surfaces and mounting options.

Looking for some recommendations for a top quality lab from those of you who have actually used them. Not sure if this matters but I live in the NYC area and would be submitting my files online.

Thanks!

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:54 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

I use AdoramaPix.

Even though equally good, I abandoned WHCC because their order interface is a Java based program. When I upgraded my computer, I purposely did not install Java. So, goodbye WHCC. (And, IIRC, on a Mac, their program will only run in an account with Admin privileges.)

Aug 29, 2016 at 02:53 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

Scott Kelby and gang really like the pro side of mpix ,if IIRC.

Aug 29, 2016 at 06:18 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

I have used Aspen Creek, and they are excellent for the price. But if attention to detail is the utmost importance,
this place rocks

Aug 31, 2016 at 08:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

Your prints will only look like excellent pro-quality prints if your scans are excellent pro-quality.

Are they drum scans? Just saying.

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:23 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

And did whoever scanned the Kodachromes know how to scan that film?

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:24 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

Peter,

Can you give the name of a couple of labs that actually do good Kodachrome work? I have a number of old K12 slides that deserve more than my skills and Epson V scanner can do.

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:19 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pro-Quality Printing Labs

Howard - I really don't know if there are ANY labs out there that really know how to scan Kodachrome. The issues are that you need a drum scanner to see into the shadows, but you also need to compensate for the fact that the scanners respond to Kodachrome differently than any other film, which is further complicated by the fact that older Kodachrome processing was all over the map, making the idea of trying to match the original somewhat moot. Those are all the reasons I bought a drum scanner almost twenty years ago, learned how to used and haven't had a commercial scan done since.

Sep 01, 2016 at 12:03 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.