Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · What am I missing here...

DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What am I missing here...

I have been using a Wimberley Gimbal for years. Why would you need a leveling base for this head? Seems to me you can simply loosen the screw on your tripod collar and level it. Move the arm forward or backward to level it. What do I not understand

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:19 AM
MikeyV
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What am I missing here...

Apparently you do not understand the need to sell you an accessory that you do not need to do a task easily done in another manner. It's all about the money, Lebowski. I can't figure it out, either.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:37 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What am I missing here...

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:04 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What am I missing here...

I'm not totally sure what this piece of gear looks like but as a user of a levelling base maybe this will help:

A levelling base is for panoramas with horizons. If you do not have the tripod base level with the horizon you'll end up with a banana shaped horizon when you rotate the camera for each. Can you adjust the legs to achieve this? Yes, of course. Do you want to try and mess with 3 leg lengths (and messing up your composition) in fast changing light? Not really.

Why you'd shoot a pano with a lens long enough to need a Wimberley gimbal head I don't know though!

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:24 AM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What am I missing here...

You can level any tripod and camera combination. A leveling base just makes it easier to do quickly. It's beneficial for shooting panoramas in particular, and to quickly level gimbal heads.

Edit: by "loosening a screw on your tripod collar" and "move the arm back and forth to level it" sounds like you have a tripod with a built-in leveling center column. If that's the case, then you have no need for a leveling base.

With most tripods with fixed columns and bases, you must shorten or lengthen individual legs to achieve a perfectly level base (not just camera). It's a very time consuming and frustrating process. That's the reason that leveling bases (or columns) were created.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:35 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What am I missing here...

You will feel much better with a leveling base-even if you don't use it-I know I do.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:41 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What am I missing here...

garyvot wrote:
You can level any tripod and camera combination. A leveling base just makes it easier to do quickly. It's beneficial for shooting panoramas in particular, and to quickly level gimbal heads.

Edit: by "loosening a screw on your tripod collar" and "move the arm back and forth to level it" sounds like you have a tripod with a built-in leveling center column. If that's the case, then you have no need for a leveling base.

With most tripods with fixed columns and bases, you must shorten or lengthen individual legs to achieve a perfectly level base (not just camera). It's a
...Show more

As stated, I'm referring to a Wimberley head that is mounted directly to a Gitzo tripod with no center column. The head and tripod collar allow 360 degrees of rotation so I see no need for a leveling base. I forgot about panos as I generally use lenses that are way too small to fit on the Wimberley. I know people do use super telephotos for pano's but as I rarely do it I forgot.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:06 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What am I missing here...

DGC1 wrote:
As stated, I'm referring to a Wimberley head that is mounted directly to a Gitzo tripod with no center column. The head and tripod collar allow 360 degrees of rotation so I see no need for a leveling base. I forgot about panos as I generally use lenses that are way too small to fit on the Wimberley. I know people do use super telephotos for pano's but as I rarely do it I forgot.

I don't think anyone is trying to convince you you need one, but the idea is that a level base allows your lens and camera to maintain a perfect orientation to the horizon and a common center of gravity as you pan with your gimbal head. If the base is tilted, panning can become skewed.

It's a non issue if you shoot stationary stuff.

Aug 29, 2016 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.