Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

A quick check of my website analytics shows that about 85 pct of people who view my photos do so on their phones.

So it really begs the 2 questions -- the first philosophical, the second practical --

1) Why do I bother to sweat every blessed pixel when the vast majority of people will never see the photos in anything larger than baseball-card size format?

2) I need to resign myself to the fact that I'm shooting for an iPhone audience almost exclusively. How can I adjust my shooting style to accommodate that? One thing that is clear is that verticals -- which was my orientation of last resort on my web -- gets more real estate on the phone.

Just curios to hear how/what you guys are doing -- if anything -- to adjust.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2016 at 07:11 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

I agree with the points you make, but I mostly shoot to please me, so every pixel matters as does the composition, so if landscape is best, that's what I shoot.

Aug 28, 2016 at 07:27 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

It makes shooting tight even more important. If the subject doesn't fill the image it will be lost on the small screen.

Bill

Aug 29, 2016 at 09:10 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

People need to realize phones can rotate!

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:14 AM
WillWeaverRVA

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

flyfishertoo wrote:
I agree with the points you make, but I mostly shoot to please me, so every pixel matters as does the composition, so if landscape is best, that's what I shoot.

This is pretty much how I feel. I know most people will only see my photos on a rather small scale (on websites, etc), but I'm still meticulous in post-processing because I want my product to be the absolute best it can be (in my opinion, anyway).

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

So a couple of questions for you. 1. Are you (and me) providing a free image viewing service? 2. What is the incentive to buy. 3 If you are selling prints, won't pixels will matter? One thing I'd like to figure out is a subscription service to view my images.

Aug 29, 2016 at 09:59 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

I am far from being a close to pro, just a hobbiest with a bad case NAS. In the few years I've been shooting it does seem like more and more parents seem very happy accepting iPhone shots and for the few that purchase my images most opt for the lowest resolution as that is more than good enough for viewing / sharing on their iPhone. When I started years ago more seemed interested in the higher quality images and purchases. I am just chalking it up to our more than accepting ease with lesser quality. I am now thinking my old D3s is what I should return too,

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:04 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photos on the Phone: Sometimes I Wonder ....

Oh Dear!

This is a constant argument I have with my kids.
They are constantly showing me things on their damn phones and I can't see them.
I can read a newspaper fine without glasses but things on those tiny screens drive me nuts.

Yeah, I'm old and out of date, I get it. I got my daughters hand me down Iphoney and I have tried to learn it and look at things on the net with it.
Seriously, I rather eat broken glass. It is so frustrating and useless trying to see any detail or scrolling about on that tiny scree when you do enlarge something.
I just want to throw the thing as far as I can or feed it through my log chipper.

I haven't had a site to speak of for a while but am in the process of re doing a couple now. I guess this is phone Viewing thing is something to keep in mind although I can't see I will do a lot to change things. To do so would make the sites less than I think is the best way of doing them.

I do have a YT channel that is in the significant category and I do see a lot of people view my vids on phones. I think I may as well stop putting up the footage and just publish the sound because they must be missing most of the vision anyway.

I also get frustrated with endless comments and questions about things I put annotations on the vids about. I have been recently told they don't show up on phones. If they do, the people probably can't read them in the 2 point they would reproduce at anyway.

It is a quandry for shooters. Hard to go to a lot of effort and put time into something you know won't be noticed or appreciated.

Maybe we should be asking, " How do you normally view your pictures?"
For those that say " Phone" we can shoot with a cheap P&S camera, crop the hell out of the files and they will be just as happy with them as anything else!

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:51 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.