FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

rstoddard11
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

A canon 70-200 f4L non-IS lens was my most used lens in Iceland. The lens was great in regard to the distance and scale of objects in the landscape. It was a friends used lens with a big scratch on the main objective, but took fantastic photos. Just had to keep my shutter speed up, which was not a problem. Most of my shots were between 135-200 mm.

I guess my point is even with a budget or well used version of any of these lenses that are listed, you will get some great shots out there.

Sep 01, 2016 at 02:27 PM
tzhang4284
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

Not sure if you're going to Iceland for a dedicated photography trip but I went there a few years back and did some of the tours where it requires a bit of hiking and walking. If you're going to take a bus tour or drive yourself, then weight is no longer a real issue and you should just bring your Zeiss APO lens and leave it in your car or tour bus. You can rotate your lenses between stops.

If you're going there to do some hiking or in a non-dedicated photography trip, it seems like you have way too much gear that you won't have the chance to swap in and out. The problem with most of the gear suggestions listed here is that everything is quite heavy and not really lighter than the native solutions. For example, the Leica 180mm f3.4 APO is about the same weight as the Sony 70-300mm FE. The Sony 70-300 is good but not amazing at 180mm however you do get the benefit of AF and zoom capability vs. the 180mm f3.4 APO. If you want to have all your focal lengths covered, perhaps the Canon 16-35mm, Sony 55mm and buy a native e-mount 70-300 or 70-200 makes a lot more sense.

I personally would just bring the loxia 21, Batis 85, 35mm f2.8, and/or 55mm f1.8 out of the lenses you listed. Max IQ and good focal range coverage. Alternatively consider getting a 24-105mm zoom like the Sigma Art and just pack the Loxia 21 and the 55mm f1.8 for specific uses.

Sep 01, 2016 at 04:31 PM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

Damn you jcolwell I was putting off on buying the 150A... Well darn.
jcolwell wrote:
At f/8 and near-infinity focus, the Mamiya 645 A 150/2.8 + Canon EF 1.4x III is better at the edges and corners than the Mamiya A 200/2.8 APO and Canon EF 70-200/2.8L IS II.

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:49 AM
austinschutz
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

I've seen some photos from the Contax 80-200 that have really made me think about getting one in the past. I now have a Voigtlander 180mm SL, though (which is amazing). The Leica 180mm f/3.4 looks a bit better at infinity distances but is larger (and cheaper). When I got the SL I had no problems finding the Leica for a bit over $500. It would be a no compromise lens for performance. I don't see why you would get a larger Minolta zoom when you have your Canon gear, or for that matter the FE 70-200 when the EF 70-200 is so cheap used.

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:43 AM
ZoneV
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Alt long lenses for landscapes

I love the 180mm f/2.8 AI-S ED Nikkor. But it is not really small and light. But it works good enough full open as well.
The Canon nFD 200mm f/2.8 is from my impression worse, donīt use it often.

My slower ~200mm lenses I use very seldom. My other fast ~ 200 lenses (Visionar, Sonnar,..) are big and heavy, and not all easy to adapt.

Sep 06, 2016 at 01:18 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.