Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

no the 5d4 is not a 1dx replacement

Aug 28, 2016 at 01:06 AM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

I've enjoyed this discussion the opinions expressed. You've given me a lot to think about. I think the 7dII (I had one) is redundant if you have a 5dsR. The 5DsR images when cropped down appear to be just as good as an origional 7dII at the same size. The full frame makes it easier to keep BIF in the frame and then crop for final composition. Somewhat like what I used to do on bird in flight photo traps using a hasselblad and a high speed flash system made by Ken Olson. Placement in the Hasselblad frame was not nearly as critical and when you cut it out and mounted it in a 35mm slide frame the quality was just as good as a 35mm original.

The image quality of the 5DsR is unsurpassed so I see it as a given.

The three body combination is expensive but a possibility. I'd prefer to keep it down to two body types and possibly a 3rd for odd situation. Too many choices creates its own problems. I've had two 5DIII one on the 24-104 and the other on a 100-400 most of the time and the 1Dx mark I for Bird trips and when I know I will need high ISO's. I tried the 7DII in the mix and it worked well with the 200-400 as the third body. The cropped body made it the equivalent of a 320-640 before you cut in the 1.4x. Made that lens for me. In many ways it eliminated the need of the 1d and its separate battery system except for low light.

Not sure where I go from here. Maybe 2 5dsR bodies and a 5div, 1dx2, or buy back my 1Dx1. Yes I'm giving up fps with the 5D only combinations. One of my favorite saying comes from a plant book by Dirr. It goes along the lines of "more isn't necessarily better it is just more". I guess I'm willing to live with a 5-7fps frame rate and that is probably because I'm not a professional sports photographer or photographing a lot of small or fast BIF. I really need to wait for the reviews to see really how good a High iso camera the 5DIV is. Of course there is always that 4 letter word SONY.

Aug 28, 2016 at 07:06 PM
PV Hiker
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

I was thinking what to own for what I like to do.

I own 1Dx mk2 and use them for anything moving fast or to catch action and does good at landscapes. Seems always pushing higher ISO's to get shutter speeds up.

I own a 5DsR and I can also use it for landscapes. Action shots in good light with lower ISO. I first use the 1Dx2 then I'll switch to the 5DsR to get more pixels or need to crop more. You do need to be careful using the 5DsR on Landscapes if stopping down you hit diffraction sooner. Focus stacking works.

Wife also owns the 5D3 and has been happy with it in many ways. Bought a 7D2 in March and only used it once. She does like her 1Dx2's.

If price was not a concern a 1Dx2, 5DsR and a 5D4 would be a good combo. 5d4 sounds like a good all around camera that would be a better tool for low light ISO shooting animals than the 5DsR.

It is really about buying a tool for the purpose. They each have their strengths and I would select the best tool to make the job the easiest with the best image outcome.

Already have 3 camera bodies, adding a forth (5D4) would be nice but there is only so much room in the bag while traveling by plane or overseas. But who knows may have one end of the year.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:25 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

PV Hiker wrote:
I was thinking what to own for what I like to do.

I own 1Dx mk2 and use them for anything moving fast or to catch action and does good at landscapes. Seems always pushing higher ISO's to get shutter speeds up.

I own a 5DsR and I can also use it for landscapes. Action shots in good light with lower ISO. I first use the 1Dx2 then I'll switch to the 5DsR to get more pixels or need to crop more. You do need to be careful using the 5DsR on Landscapes if stopping down you hit diffraction sooner. Focus
...Show more

That is my problem. I can't travel with a whole set of clubs and even if I can get them there on the plane, it is still a lot to deal with on site.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

Flowernut wrote:
Not sure where I go from here.

There is your problem, and others can't solve it for you. Some get along with just one body and a couple of lenses. You seem to need multiple bodies and lenses.

The more gear you need/want, the more decisions you need to make.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:12 PM
Flowernut
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

Imagemaster wrote:
There is your problem, and others can't solve it for you. Some get along with just one body and a couple of lenses. You seem to need multiple bodies and lenses.

The more gear you need/want, the more decisions you need to make.

Others can't solve it for me but I do appreciate the interplay and the different view points. It has greatly clarified things for me. I understand what I'm going to do. I want to thank you and everyone else for your help.

Aug 29, 2016 at 01:12 PM
gordorad
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

In terms of frame rate, I always look at how many frames per half second.. 6 frames per half second is way more useful than 3.5fphs..

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:29 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

I shoot exclusively birds, and I have been thinking along similar lines. I had 1DIV for 4 years, then last spring added 7D2. With basically similar image quality, I found myself reaching for the 7D2 almost exclusively because of weight and added reach. I sold the 1DIV a year ago. I have since made some really, really nice images with the 7D2, but I find I need to shoot really heavy to make sure I get that one tack sharp frame. I've micro adjusted all my lenses (500/4 I, 400DO II, 100-400 II) with and without my 1.4x extender, and I still feel that I struggle to get a really good hit rate with the 7D2, particularly with the 1.4. With now 30MP, the 5DIV is starting to look really attractive to me in an always focal length limited situation. The added 50% of pixels in the 5DIV compared to the 7D2 seems like it could negate the reach advantage of the crop sensor for my purposes. The FF images just have this dreamy look that I struggled to replicate with the 7D2. I might take a frame rate hit, but that is totally cool with me that if means more sharp, dreamy images. I would love to have either DX, but without also putting down the 11k or so for the 600 II, it just doesn't make sense; I'd take such a big effective reach hit given my current lens line-up that I feel it wouldn't be worth it. High density 5dsr seems a bit redundant to the 7D2. Curious to see what others think of this logic (or lack of it)......

Aug 30, 2016 at 08:42 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

You've got some great shots on your SmugMug site Dorian. I'm sure you could make a Brownie camera perform well.

David

Aug 30, 2016 at 09:06 AM
dorian
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 5d iv possible replacement for 1dx and 7dII?

dgdg wrote:
You've got some great shots on your SmugMug site Dorian. I'm sure you could make a Brownie camera perform well.

David

Thanks David! Nice to see someone actually visits the site!

Aug 30, 2016 at 12:03 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.