New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · nikon law suit

turosan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · nikon law suit

Has anyone ever taken Nikon to court over not honoring warranties of non USA sold models. After all it is the exact same item.

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:17 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · nikon law suit

Good luck with that

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:20 PM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · nikon law suit

Do the non USA sold models have warranty through Nikon USA or the "store warranty"?

Gray market risk...

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:31 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · nikon law suit

it being the same exact physical product has little to do with it. a warranty is a contract to service for a specific amount of time w/o payment by the company/importer/distributer.

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:53 PM
paulski66
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · nikon law suit

Has anyone ever taken Honda to court for not providing a 2-year warranty on a non-Certified Used Vehicle when the provide that warranty on their Certified Used Vehicles?

Aug 26, 2016 at 03:17 PM
Berkyboy
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · nikon law suit

The reason gray or import models are cheaper is that it is understood that the official importer (insert United States, Canada, France etc. here) is not required to provide warrantied service if it is needed within their official service territory.

That markup is for the local importer to "keep the lights on" as well as pay salaries and keep parts in stock to cover all repairs, even those out of warranty.

More importantly if everything works and doesn't need warranty service we have a competent staff around with parts in stock to service cameras out of warranty at a reasonable cost.

As far as your local importer refusing to work on import cameras officially, the reason is that that specific camera (lens) is as stated above, it hasn't helped pay its fair share and because of this it might not have access to the local importers repair network.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Aug 26, 2016 at 04:21 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · nikon law suit

I agree though that that's a silly policy. Pressure from US sellers I guess, otherwise they would not be able to compete.

Aug 26, 2016 at 04:59 PM
James Farrell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · nikon law suit

turosan wrote:
Has anyone ever taken Nikon to court over not honoring warranties of non USA sold models. After all it is the exact same item.

You would likely spend thousands of dollars in legal fees and many more times the difference in costs between the gray market item cost and the Nikon USA price in addition to the aggravation and the several years it would take to litigate. And most likely you'd lose the suit in the end anyhow. Why bother?

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · nikon law suit

Their policies are pretty reasonable IMO. You get an enormous discount *specifically* for giving up warranty support on grey market items, you can't then turn around and sue them for not honoring what you are specifically agreeing to forego in return for the discount. They do give you service advisory support still, which is generous.

For non-grey items purchased from authorized dealers, Nikon will honor the warranties in the country of purchase which is totally normal. On top of that they will repair it outside of that country if you pay them, which is also reasonable.

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · nikon law suit

You'll have a better chance of making trenchmonkey drink Bud Light or dating Jennifer Lawrence than winning a lawsuit against Nikon...

Aug 29, 2016 at 01:14 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · nikon law suit

First, its a Nikon "USA" warranty. And if you want that value you have to buy a USA model or send it to Japan or 3rd party and pay for it. Warranties cost money and if Nikon didn't protect their dealers and distribution network who would want to sell Nikon. It doesn't matter where it's made it matters where it's serviced.

Edited on Aug 30, 2016 at 10:49 AM · View previous versions

Aug 29, 2016 at 05:25 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · nikon law suit

Berkyboy wrote:
The reason gray or import models are cheaper is that it is understood that the official importer (insert United States, Canada, France etc. here) is not required to provide warrantied service if it is needed within their official service territory.

That markup is for the local importer to "keep the lights on" as well as pay salaries and keep parts in stock to cover all repairs, even those out of warranty.

More importantly if everything works and doesn't need warranty service we have a competent staff around with parts in stock to service cameras out of warranty at a reasonable cost.
...Show more

A central truth nicely summarized, Steve. And nice to meet you.

Chuck

Aug 29, 2016 at 06:03 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · nikon law suit

The gist of the replies and explanatory comments herein boil down to there's no free lunch - unless of course you bought a D600 - in which case it just took a long time for lunch to be served.

Aug 29, 2016 at 06:13 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · nikon law suit

turosan wrote:
What on earth would be the legal theory, or basis for standing in any court? I don't think any court would hear such a case.

Aug 29, 2016 at 07:17 PM
glowhunter
• •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · nikon law suit

turosan wrote:

So, you want the discount of buying an international model PLUS the benefits of a 5yr US warranty? Do you want Nikon to give you free lenses while they're at it too?

Aug 30, 2016 at 09:27 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · nikon law suit

Hey well, in defense of the original poster I think it's a fair question. He didn't ask about how regional warranties work, which I think is well understood.

There have been many law suits over unfair practices having to do with regional policies. He also didn't mention which country, and these laws vary from place to place. But we can assume he meant US I guess.

I'm not a lawyer but I deal with legal issues all the time, enough to know it's a question worth thinking about.

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · nikon law suit

After fighting Nikon for 5 weeks for one lousy replacement battery for the D500 I am all in favor of suing Nikon.

Aug 30, 2016 at 11:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.