Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Looking at all of the recent Perseids photos posted reminded me that I had never posted any of mine from last year. This was a very enjoyable night of shooting. Up at Glacier Point, there is plenty of room to set up and enjoy the company. Sunny met me up there, and it's always fun hanging out with Sunny, plus we met a lot of great people there too. It was a nice social experience to go along with some great shooting.

This is a blend of several exposures obviously. I aligned the meteors based on the Milky Way, and just painted in the meteors onto my base Milky Way shot.

All comments are welcome,

Jim

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:27 PM
kylebarendrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Nice Jim - I like the hint of light you have on half dome as well.

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:31 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

You couldn't have picked a better spot Jim! I like the last glow of day in there, too. Nice image and blending.

Aug 25, 2016 at 02:10 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Spectacular, Jim. PP looks great in this web version.

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:49 PM
khenke
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Jim,
Very well captured and processed. Although purely a personal opinion, I might try to remove some of the blue and see what you get. Typically, milky ways are quite brownish-red. Additionally, stars are red and some blue and white. The star color is what I most typically look for when processing a milky way. However, I balance it somewhat since many folks don't care for the "actual" colors that have much less blue than we envision a sky to be. Cheers.

Aug 25, 2016 at 05:36 PM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Like the comp., but the sky is just too unnaturally blue.

Also, sorry but I gotta ask. Was the MW really located behind Half Dome when you took the photos? This has to be looking nearly due East. I ask because I was at Glacier Point a month earlier (07/14/15) than the EXIF states this image was taken, and the most visible section of the MW was much further South at 10:00pm. In fact, a month later than that (in August), it was even further southwest.

I like the comp, but the image looks contrived to me. If I’m wrong, please accept my apologies. But I see waaay too many “assembled” MW photos that are trying to be passed-off as authentic.

Jack

Aug 25, 2016 at 06:30 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Great shot Jim.
glad you pulled this from the archives. I like the foreground, well done.
I might correct the vignetting some to even out the sky. That would be my only nit.
Color balance is a matter of taste. I believe you purposefully created it this way and it works for me.
What ever happened to Sunny?

Jack,
During the Perseids, the radiant will appear to come out from the northern portion of the milky way. To the right of the milky way I can see the Pleiades and just below that Taurus. Looks right to me.
My radiant shot from last year appears about the same, astronomically speaking. I only get old barns for my foregrounds. Oh well.
Not sure what 'authentic' means in this context. Everyone has their preferences, but I would say Jim made it quite clear what he did for this image - like it or not.

David

Aug 25, 2016 at 06:56 PM
cams884
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Great shot Jim. That airglow is a nice touch too.

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:36 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Wow, fantastic job!

I can not wait to get back to Yosemite, hopefully this time it won't be dry...lol!

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:39 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

this is really nice!

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:52 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

khenke wrote:
Jim,
Very well captured and processed. Although purely a personal opinion, I might try to remove some of the blue and see what you get. Typically, milky ways are quite brownish-red. Additionally, stars are red and some blue and white. The star color is what I most typically look for when processing a milky way. However, I balance it somewhat since many folks don't care for the "actual" colors that have much less blue than we envision a sky to be. Cheers.

Thanks so much for your compliments and suggestions. I agree totally with your suggestions, and that is how I normally process my Milky Way shots. The issue here was the Milky Way was not very strong in the sky. Could have been a lot of ambient light, I don't recall if the moon was an issue at all. But I looked back at my raws, and the Milky Way was faded. Which in turn means, the meat of it barely shows up as the Milky Way fades into the sky. I processed this a year ago, so I don't remember all the details, but I do remember having to mask the Milky Way separately just to keep it as non colored as it is. I do recall pushing it to have less blue color, but it just looked really odd, so I went for a middle ground and left it at that.

Thanks again!

Jim

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:06 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

jforkner wrote:
Like the comp., but the sky is just too unnaturally blue.

Also, sorry but I gotta ask. Was the MW really located behind Half Dome when you took the photos? This has to be looking nearly due East. I ask because I was at Glacier Point a month earlier (07/14/15) than the EXIF states this image was taken, and the most visible section of the MW was much further South at 10:00pm. In fact, a month later than that (in August), it was even further southwest.

I like the comp, but the image looks contrived to me. If I’m wrong, please accept
...Show more

Hey Jack,

I appreciate your comments. No offense taken in any of it.

As for the Milky Way, it was not moved, it's where it was. I am not really into moving Milky Ways around the sky myself. I went back and looked at my Raws real quick, and the Meat of the Milky Way was to the left of Half Dome when we started shooting about 9:30. By about 2:30 it had swing to the right enough that it was over Half Dome, by 5am the Milky Way had swing to where the Meat of it was to the far right of Half Dome.

So no assembling on this shot, other then placing the meteors into the places. And I answered the question about the blue tone in response in my previous reply, I did the best I could to not have a blue tones MW.

Thanks,

Jim

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:25 PM
ajkessler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Super cool

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:14 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

@JimFox—Mea Culpa. My mistake was assuming this showed the MW’s Galactic Center. I was wrong!

@dgdg—I used the term “authentic” to mean the MW was in its correct location relative to the foreground.

Jack

Aug 26, 2016 at 07:50 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Beautiful shot Jim! I also like how half dome is slightly illuminated more than the other mountains.

Corey

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:49 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Excellent!

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:31 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

jforkner wrote:
@JimFox@—Mea Culpa. My mistake was assuming this showed the MW’s Galactic Center. I was wrong!

@dgdg@—I used the term “authentic” to mean the MW was in its correct location relative to the foreground.

Jack

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
I think Jim pushed the faint northern MW, which did make it appear brighter than we usually see it with the eye or most images, but it still works well.

David

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:35 AM
poetesa

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

looks very great!

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:40 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

A fine composite, Jim. I thought too blue also but understand your predicament.

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:55 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The Perseids Shower Yosemite

Etherton wrote:
Wow, fantastic job!

I can not wait to get back to Yosemite, hopefully this time it won't be dry...lol!

Thanks so much and I am glad you liked this.

As to Yosemite being dry, I am sure you know that the waterfalls will be getting dryer and dryer as the year goes on. So whether the falls are dry or wet depends more on when you decide to go then anything.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

dgdg wrote:
Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
I think Jim pushed the faint northern MW, which did make it appear brighter than we usually see it with the eye or most images, but it still works well.

David

Hey David, btw I never replied back to your comment about the vignetting. I agree this has a much more vignette sky then I normally do. Usually one thing I do is to even out the darkness of the sky since the light fall off from shooting wide open exaggerates the vignetting even more.

I think as I worked on this the emphasis was more on the meteors, so along with having to push the sky more the result was a little more contrasty sky.

Jim

Aug 27, 2016 at 03:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.