1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

iamjoenish wrote:
I found that the X-T2 is in the same league as the D500 for majority of AF conditions.

That's sort of like saying that a Porsche and a Yugo are in the same league for the majority of driving conditions... ;-)

Dan

(Yeah, I'm exaggerating. But still...)

Oct 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Oh puhleez. More like a Porsche and BMW. Both high end capable with slightly different priorities.

Oct 24, 2016 at 01:37 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

traveler wrote:
Oh puhleez. More like a Porsche and BMW. Both high end capable with slightly different priorities.

Something must have gone wrong on your end and you didn't see my entire message, which included:

Perhaps the smiley's were also not displayed on your device.

;-)

Oct 24, 2016 at 02:18 PM
iamjoenish
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

gdanmitchell wrote:
That's sort of like saying that a Porsche and a Yugo are in the same league for the majority of driving conditions... ;-)

Dan

Haha! What's wrong with a Yugo? As long as you get from point A to point B right lol? (getting the shot)

Oct 24, 2016 at 03:44 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

The D500 is a superb wildlife and sports camera. Kudos to Nikon. From many discussions I have had with a number of seasoned pros, the D500 is quite amazing for action photography and surprisingly the cost of the D500 with the 200-500/5.6 is less than that of the A7rII body alone in Australia.

As mentioned before I do have the D750 as my FF camera (superb camera also with the fatter pixels at 24MP), and I compare it to my XT2. The XT2 is better for action as it is more accurate using PDAF AF, as you do not need to micro focus adjust (MFA) each lens as with most DSLR's. In terms of just AF speed the D750 and XT2 would be similar depending on which lens is being used, but for portraits with the XT2 the AF is very accurate.

The XT2 with the Fuji array of lenses is amazing, and Fuji continues to listen and this Thursday there is another FW update 1.10.

We have so many superb choices for camera systems now

Oct 24, 2016 at 04:29 PM
Venus
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Fuji has one major weakness in their super tele-photo zoom lineup. Their 100-400 is a sharp lens but AF performance wise, it's sluggish like the old Canon 100-400 Version 1. They need to redesign a new one and they must do it fast. They must make one like their 50-140 in AF. The new Nikon 80-400II and Canon 100-400II beat it hollow in action.

Nov 02, 2016 at 08:12 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

ggreene wrote:
I actually like the angry photographer. He can be repetitive though and I'd like to see him shorten his videos and keep it more concise. He's definitely opinionated and has his favorite topics. He's a huge fan of low element count lenses. Also, more of a metal build guy and can be quite disparaging of modern designs especially with a lot of plastic. See his preview on the Nikon 105/1.4.

Have no idea if he has a corporate backer or not but he seems fairly genuine. Some of the other Youtubers like Lanier, Racey, Northrups, Camera Store, and even Polin
...Show more

I cannot believe this, as this guy is not to be take serious. Here an excerpt taken from one of his videos (by M. Oelund at dpreview): "Marianne Oelund wrote:[...] Here are some quotes from his recent discussion about rare earth glass and dispersion. From

:

"This is going to sound like a really arrogant statement. Sometimes a really arrogant statement seems arrogant to you but in fact it's the truth.

Nobody in photography - nobody - including lens manufacturers, knows more about the nature of light and how light works than I do. Whisper: Oh, that's really arrogant.

Yeah? Find me another person that has anywhere near the skills that I have and experience in lenses and field theory and fringe technology insofar as the manipulation of light. Please find them. Find them.

A lot of people like in photonics, there are a lot of people with amazing PhD's in photonics. That doesn't mean that they've actually put two and two together. They have a lot of information, that they're able to regurgitate and a lot of stuff that they studied. Some of them have even got patents, but that doesn't mean they really understand the nature of light."

"Nobody ever explained how magnets work until I came along. I own every book on magnetism ever written. I own it and I have it. Every single one.

Nobody has ever defined what a field is, nobody was ever able to tell you, until my book came along, how a magnet works. What a magnet is; conjugate vortex, reciprocating precessional hyperboloid. I told you how it worked, the way it works, the loss of inertia."

"By adding lead or niobium or thorium, what it does is it wrangles the light, actually accelerates the light into its path. In other words it keeps it on a path . . .

It's like a guardrail. When light goes through lenses and it travels through these various indices of refraction, it wants to go over the guardrail. That's dispersion. The reason why the thorium and the lead is in the glass is they act like guardrails on a road that someone's going too fast. It's like, you know you're supposed to take this turn at 30mph and the guy's driving 60 and he'd either go over the side . . . that's dispersion. That's what light does.

It's going to change its rate of induction. It doesn't change the rate of induction through the glass, but what it does is it acts like a guardrail. In a very crude analogy, that's what the lead and the thorium actually does in lenses, it actually keeps the light on the path through the lenses, eliminates out much of the dispersion.

Nobody has ever written about this before. You will not find a video of any of this information anywhere. Anywhere! Now this is the science of photography and lenses, obviously this is not the art side.

Obviously, photography is an art form but this is interesting information and nobody has ever made a video on it before. Nobody's ever talked about it before. Nobody knows what the hell they're talking about when it comes to this subject, but I do.

Not only do I have the facts behind it, but I've also got the logic behind it. This is the way thorium and lead and lanthanum dioxide and niobium dioxide is actually added to the glass. This is what it does. It guardrails the light that wants to go over the corner through high indices of refraction and multiple elements because of dielectric permittivity.

In other words it is accelerating the light towards the nucleus of the thorium, of the lead. By accelerating it towards the nucleus, and the nucleuses are everywhere since it's scattered throughout the glass, that means it guardrails the light as it's passing through the lenses. That's as crude as I can explain it, I mean you could explain it a lot more specifically but then people's minds would go, "Oh, this is too much, my brain is seizing up." [Ghoulish laughter.]"

Nov 10, 2016 at 03:16 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

charles.K wrote:
The D500 is a superb wildlife and sports camera. Kudos to Nikon. From many discussions I have had with a number of seasoned pros, the D500 is quite amazing for action photography and surprisingly the cost of the D500 with the 200-500/5.6 is less than that of the A7rII body alone in Australia.

As mentioned before I do have the D750 as my FF camera (superb camera also with the fatter pixels at 24MP), and I compare it to my XT2. The XT2 is better for action as it is more accurate using PDAF AF, as you do not need to
...Show more

In my opinion, the way OSPDAF is implemented, the differences show mainly up in lower light and unpredictable motion and here especially with long glass. In good light I get very good results form the A7rii and other MILCs (like A6300 or Xt2 when testing it). However as soon as non-predictable motion occurs in dim light DSLRs still prevail, often by a clear margin (Dpreview and cameralabs.com mentioned that, too, when reviewing the xt2). And that is the difficult part. Linear motion should be tracked quite easily now, algorithms are known now for quite some time and enough refined. Whenever we do portraits or weddings, this is exactly what happens. No bride starts running like a wide receiver when entering the church. So our A7rii or the Fuji XT2 is easily able to cope with such a situation. Fuji has fast glass, too, to minimize the DOF difference wrt FF (e.g. 56/1.2, 16/1.4). Wedding photographers are using focal lenghts in the 24 - 85(FF) region mostly and wide open, which focus very fast with MILCs (half shaded pixels get enough light). As mentioned by many the problems arise in dim light with long lenses. DSLR PDAF works on the out of focus field and therefore has the information to drive the lens to the focus point. MILCs have not enough data discrimination and phase information in such a situation is insufficient. Sony's new A99ii, combining OSPDAF and dedicated PDAF is a nice approach (probably eliminating the AF-Finetuning in some situations).

I overlooked that you seem to have switched to Fuji and Nikon in part? Did you share your thoughts regarding the reasoning why you did that? (I use A7rii, D810, D750 for weddings. In my opinion the D750 is the best value for money FF right now).

Nov 10, 2016 at 03:42 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Holger wrote:
In my opinion, the way OSPDAF is implemented, the differences show mainly up in lower light and unpredictable motion and here especially with long glass. In good light I get very good results form the A7rii and other MILCs (like A6300 or Xt2 when testing it). However as soon as non-predictable motion occurs in dim light DSLRs still prevail, often by a clear margin (Dpreview and cameralabs.com mentioned that, too, when reviewing the xt2). And that is the difficult part. Linear motion should be tracked quite easily now, algorithms are known now for quite some time and enough refined. Whenever
...Show more

I moved from the A7rII and most of the lenses, to the XT2 system. I have still have the A7s and FE 55, 35/2.8 as a small light system to go. The reason I moved away, was that my A7rII system with lenses started to grow, in size, weight and cost particularly in Australia. For instance the cost of the A7rII and a FE 50/1.4, my main workhorse lens is just over 7K AUD. They A7rII system is superb, but I decided to not invest in the GM 24-70 or GM 70-200 as my total cost was approaching 20K.

The Fuji XT2 system has the photographer in mind and it is so much fun to use I never really felt this with the Sony A7 system, although the IQ is superb. I have mentioned before, for landscapes using the a7rII and Batis18/ Loxia 21 is probably one of the best systems there is, but portraits/street and events are more my main interests. The Fuji system has really worked with photographers. The IQ from the XT2 system still amazes me.

The Nikon D750 and lens system is great value. I ended getting my D750 and 50/1.4 for 1400 AUD (1050 USD) second hand. This has provided the FF option that I need and the Nikon lens system has so many options. Even many of the D lenses are great. For instance you can pick a 20/2.8 D for about 100 AUD, or the 35/2 D for 150 and the AF is still great. The other reason I opted for the D750 is that it is the smallest FF DSLR. When you start adding the fast GM lenses to the A7rII and size and weight is the same.

In essence we have many camera systems now, and there are no bad choices

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Holger
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

charles.K wrote:
I moved from the A7rII and most of the lenses, to the XT2 system. I have still have the A7s and FE 55, 35/2.8 as a small light system to go. The reason I moved away, was that my A7rII system with lenses started to grow, in size, weight and cost particularly in Australia. For instance the cost of the A7rII and a FE 50/1.4, my main workhorse lens is just over 7K AUD. They A7rII system is superb, but I decided to not invest in the GM 24-70 or GM 70-200 as my total cost was approaching 20K.

The
...Show more

Thank you for stating your opinion. I bought the 20/1.8g to get a wider perspective during weddings. It is a great lens in case you need a faster aperture than 2.8. The new 24/1.8g is very good and light weight, too.
Generally, I always encourage people to use what causes fun in photography, as I believe this to boost creativity. Fuji seems to tick many boxes with photographers. My favourite Fuji lens was the 56/1.2, I liked the rendering. The form factor and buttons just didn't work out for me, though. But it is a system worth watching.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:22 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Venus wrote:
Fuji has one major weakness in their super tele-photo zoom lineup. Their 100-400 is a sharp lens but AF performance wise, it's sluggish like the old Canon 100-400 Version 1. They need to redesign a new one and they must do it fast. They must make one like their 50-140 in AF. The new Nikon 80-400II and Canon 100-400II beat it hollow in action.

I agree. i would like all their lenses to have their best focusing system.

Nov 10, 2016 at 05:28 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Holger wrote:
Thank you for stating your opinion. I bought the 20/1.8g to get a wider perspective during weddings. It is a great lens in case you need a faster aperture than 2.8. The new 24/1.8g is very good and light weight, too.
Generally, I always encourage people to use what causes fun in photography, as I believe this to boost creativity. Fuji seems to tick many boxes with photographers. My favourite Fuji lens was the 56/1.2, I liked the rendering. The form factor and buttons just didn't work out for me, though. But it is a system worth watching.

You are welcome I also have the Nikon 20/1.8, Sigma 35 ART, 50/1.4 g, 50/1.8 g, 58/1.4, 85/1.8 g and 85/1.4g.

It is a shame the Fuji did not work, but we do have many great choices now

Nov 10, 2016 at 06:00 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Fuji has a lot going for it. The form factor for most, the native lenses built specifically for it, the colors. But like every camera made, it's not for everyone. AF speed wise it's getting better but certainly not at D500 level.

Nov 10, 2016 at 07:14 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

I hardly ever pick up my old Nikon D3s anymore (got my doctorate and moved on from the world of being a pro sports photography) but have taken it out with a 70-200 f2.8 just to shoot the dog running on the beach.

Works far better than the XT2 with the 40-150/2.8, at least in terms of number of in focus images. It just tracks bang-on, with about 90% in focus frames.

The XT2 gives me maybe 50-60%, which is still really good, but there are some frames where it missed focus. I've been shooting mirrorless bodies for ages and its among the best they've gotten (my Nikon v1 honestly is still the best in that regard) but the XT2 is no DSLR replacement in my book.

That said, the XT2 focuses quicker in one shot AF in poorer light, and it quite accurate, and a camera I enjoy using, and carrying around more often, but its not the best tracking camera I've shot.

I don't have a D5 or D500, but I'm sure they are better than my D3s (sold my D4 too so can't compare that anymore) but I'm pretty confident they would better the XT2 in terms of tracking performance.

XT2 is good, its usable, it will get the job done, but its not that amazing in terms of tracking. A lot better than the XT1 by a long shot, but still feels more like a typical mirrorless camera than a high end DSLR.

Nov 10, 2016 at 08:37 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

I've owned both, and I have to tell you. You're settings are NOT optimized for what you're trying to shoot. Get it right on an X-T2 and the likes of a 50-140 f2.8 and you'll get virtually 100% of what you're aiming at. Been there and DONE that. I got actually LESS on a D500 i tried. NO I wasn't using a $2000 lens........sorry. Either way if you get the settings correct on an X-T2 it WILL deliver. Just like the angry photographer has stated, if you don't get the settings right it won't perform.

Nov 10, 2016 at 09:37 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Okay whatever, the Fuji XT2 is the worlds best AF tracking camera and blows everything else out of the water, so says me, and the fat tattooed man who has an youtube channel.

I think we are going to see tons of 1D's, D5's, D500's etc all hit the used market because every sports photographer in the business is going to all switch to the magical XT2 and its virtually 100% AF tracking performance.

XT2 delivers!

There, now we can be friends again

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:21 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

Holger wrote:
My favourite Fuji lens was the 56/1.2, I liked the rendering. The form factor and buttons just didn't work out for me, though. But it is a system worth watching.

Try an Xpro2 before you totally part ways with the system. There are some great used deals these days, and the button layout is what I consider subjectively night and day improved over the XT2 (as someone who owns both)

The EC dial, the AF joystick etc all fall perfectly in hand on the XPro2 while I can't really access any of them for one handed shooting on the XT2. XT2 is a two hand camera, XPro2 is a one hand camera, and sometimes that is a huge factor.

XT2 has its great features like the flip-out screen and great EVF, but handling wise the XPro2 is my "hands down" choice

Nov 10, 2016 at 10:24 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

millsart wrote:
I hardly ever pick up my old Nikon D3s anymore (got my doctorate and moved on from the world of being a pro sports photography) but have taken it out with a 70-200 f2.8 just to shoot the dog running on the beach.

Works far better than the XT2 with the 40-150/2.8, at least in terms of number of in focus images. It just tracks bang-on, with about 90% in focus frames.

The XT2 gives me maybe 50-60%, which is still really good, but there are some frames where it missed focus. I've been shooting mirrorless bodies for ages and its
...Show more

I've been quite reluctant to pick up an X-T2 due to all the reviews which start off with the X-T1 not being great at AF and couldn't track a snail etc. As I've been using one I know that it isn't quite that bad, so have been wary of hyperbole over the X-T2. I have relented and picked one up yesterday so look forward to seeing how the AF compares, so far just in single shot AF I can't see much of a difference but all the advanced AF options look great. So I'm looking forward to trying them out. Do you have the grip for the X-T2? I'm wondering how much that helps with AF performance, I haven't been able to source one yet.

With the X-T1 it was the random movement of subjects that I found it didn't deal that well with, also not having proper back button focusing worked against how I like to shoot. So I'm looking forward to seeing what the X-T2 can do. I may finally get round to selling all my Canon gear...

Nov 11, 2016 at 06:09 AM
svassh
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

I've been quite reluctant to pick up an X-T2 due to all the reviews which start off with the X-T1 not being great at AF and couldn't track a snail etc. As I've been using one I know that it isn't quite that bad, so have been wary of hyperbole over the X-T2. I have relented and picked one up yesterday so look forward to seeing how the AF compares, so far just in single shot AF I can't see much of a difference but all the advanced AF options look great. So I'm looking forward to trying them out. Do
...Show more

So I don't think the grip has any effect on AF performance only allows more battery power obviously but 11fps verus 8 without.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:30 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · "X-T2 Smokes the Nikon D500 in Autofocus Speed"

svassh wrote:
So I don't think the grip has any effect on AF performance only allows more battery power obviously but 11fps verus 8 without.

Cheers, I did check after. It's just the interval, EVF lag and fps that gets boosted.

Nov 11, 2016 at 12:58 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.