Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       end
  

Fuji landscape thread
  
 
apsphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #1 · p.17 #1 · Fuji landscape thread


cvrle59 wrote:
Any experiance from Fuji users with Athabasca Filters?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516682/0#lastmessage


I have not tried the Athabasca filters, but I have used Lee and NISI filters. The Nisi filters are quite nice, the holder system is pretty well priced and I like the arrangement for the polarizer and the ability to move the polarizer without change in the other filters orientation. A lot less money than the Lee alternative. I have also found the NiSi filters to be very neutral compared to the Lee filters. Not sure that really adds anything to your question but an observation that may be useful if you contemplate other systems.

Alan



Nov 09, 2017 at 03:31 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #2 · p.17 #2 · Fuji landscape thread


cvrle59 wrote:
Any experiance from Fuji users with Athabasca Filters?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1516682/0#lastmessage



Never heard of them... but there seems to be a lot of little companies springing up to sell filters lately. Filters have always been among the highest profit margin items in the photo industry, so I imagine it's tempting for entrepreneurs to re-brand some cheap knockoffs and cash in.



Nov 09, 2017 at 03:36 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #3 · p.17 #3 · Fuji landscape thread


apsphoto wrote:
I have not tried the Athabasca filters, but I have used Lee and NISI filters. The Nisi filters are quite nice, the holder system is pretty well priced and I like the arrangement for the polarizer and the ability to move the polarizer without change in the other filters orientation. A lot less money than the Lee alternative. I have also found the NiSi filters to be very neutral compared to the Lee filters. Not sure that really adds anything to your question but an observation that may be useful if you contemplate other systems.

Alan


Nisi is one of the options, I like their holder with CPL rotation, but Athabasca's holder does the same thing too. They are kind of new product, it's hard to find some feed back, but my local store owner said to me that they sell a lot of round Athabasca filters, and people are happy with.




Nov 09, 2017 at 03:41 PM
apsphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #4 · p.17 #4 · Fuji landscape thread


cvrle59 wrote:
Nisi is one of the options, I like their holder with CPL rotation, but Athabasca's holder does the same thing too. They are kind of new product, it's hard to find some feed back, but my local store owner said to me that they sell a lot of round Athabasca filters, and people are happy with.




It may be that Athabasca is rebranding the Nisi filters. I have not seen or heard of Athabasca before. I tested a bunch of filters with a spectrophotometer, which is what I used to determine the neutrality of the filters. The round 105mm Lee polarizer and the Nisi filter were neutrals as were the Breakthrough Photography round filters. The Lee square polarizer was not neutral. The 10 stop Lee filter I own is not neutral at all while the Nisi was very neutral, no color cast.

Alan



Nov 09, 2017 at 05:08 PM
cvrle59
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #5 · p.17 #5 · Fuji landscape thread


apsphoto wrote:
It may be that Athabasca is rebranding the Nisi filters. I have not seen or heard of Athabasca before. I tested a bunch of filters with a spectrophotometer, which is what I used to determine the neutrality of the filters. The round 105mm Lee polarizer and the Nisi filter were neutrals as were the Breakthrough Photography round filters. The Lee square polarizer was not neutral. The 10 stop Lee filter I own is not neutral at all while the Nisi was very neutral, no color cast.

Alan


I owe 77m X4 Breakthrough polarizer, and ND, I see know color cast at all, but their 100mm holder doesn't have ability to rotate polarizer, like Nisi design, otherwise I would go for it. They're not cheap, but they're excellent.




Nov 09, 2017 at 05:28 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #6 · p.17 #6 · Fuji landscape thread


Getting back on topic, here's another image from Gabriola Island...




Malaspina Galleries, Gabriola Island

  GFX 50S    GF23mmF4 R LM WR lens    23mm    f/16.0    1/60s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 10, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Seabassius
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #7 · p.17 #7 · Fuji landscape thread


Posted these to the general thread too, but probably more applicable here.

Cross posted from the Landscape Thread

Went on a solo overnight trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park earlier this week. I've seen a lot of pictures of it in the past but nothing does it justice of being out there. When I went in around 2pm they said that no one else had been issued any permits and I didn't see a soul as the sun was setting. Unbelievable amount of stars at night, but I was too cold to do any night photography. Need to pack better next time.

C&C welcome as I seek to improve (I didn't pay attention and had my ISO set to 2500 the next morning and didn't realize until the good light was gone).






































More can be found here:
Sand Dunes Gallery



Nov 11, 2017 at 04:25 PM
Steezus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #8 · p.17 #8 · Fuji landscape thread


Great shots. I would love to visit that place myself. Did you do the panos in camera or in post?

Seabassius wrote:
Posted these to the general thread too, but probably more applicable here.

Cross posted from the Landscape Thread

Went on a solo overnight trip to Great Sand Dunes National Park earlier this week. I've seen a lot of pictures of it in the past but nothing does it justice of being out there. When I went in around 2pm they said that no one else had been issued any permits and I didn't see a soul as the sun was setting. Unbelievable amount of stars at night, but I was too cold to do any night photography. Need to pack better next
...Show more




Nov 12, 2017 at 08:00 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Seabassius
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #9 · p.17 #9 · Fuji landscape thread


Thanks Steezus

I did them post in either Lightroom or Photoshop if LR couldn't handle it.



Nov 13, 2017 at 04:53 AM
afrieds11
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #10 · p.17 #10 · Fuji landscape thread


here are some of my recent photos:

Keene Valley by Adam Friedlander

Big Slide 1 by Adam Friedlander

Big Slide 2 by Adam Friedlander

Higgins Beach by Adam Friedlander

Buck Mountain by Adam Friedlander

I bought the X-Pro2 wanting to get into street photography, but I have been doing mostly landscapes these days. These cameras can do anything!



Nov 14, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Itsallinmyh3ad
Online

Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #11 · p.17 #11 · Fuji landscape thread


Taken in a small village in Nara, Japan. 10-24mm

Untitled by itsallinmyh3ad, on Flickr



Nov 15, 2017 at 10:38 AM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #12 · p.17 #12 · Fuji landscape thread


The rainy season is here...





Rainforest Stream, Gabriola

  GFX 50S    GF32-64mmF4 R LM WR lens    32mm    f/16.0    10s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  




Nov 15, 2017 at 08:33 PM
Gary Clennan
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #13 · p.17 #13 · Fuji landscape thread


Beautiful Cliff!


Nov 15, 2017 at 10:18 PM
killersnowman
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.17 #14 · p.17 #14 · Fuji landscape thread


For those of you that process the raws for max dynamic range what film mode do you use to give the most accurate histogram when shooting landscapes? The histogram is for the jpeg so the film mode makes a huge difference. Maybe ill do some testing this weekend on what most closely matches ACR defaults


Nov 15, 2017 at 11:20 PM
molson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.17 #15 · p.17 #15 · Fuji landscape thread


Gary Clennan wrote:
Beautiful Cliff!


Thanks, Gary! This little stream was completely dry just a week ago, but we've had a good 6 inches or more of rain the past few days, and things are getting lush again.



Nov 15, 2017 at 11:29 PM
1       2       3              16      
17
       end






FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              16      
17
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password