New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Just read the specs of the new Canon 5D MK IV disappointing and expensive! No info on the DR so I wouldn't expect an improvement. Canon have taken a page from Nikon and predatory priced the battery grip.

Also the 16-35 (MK 3rd time around). Nikon's 14-24 (MK only) still looks great-Nikon did it right the first time. Ditto my D800e.

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:51 AM
SiMuMe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

I think the comment regarding DR is premature. See how 1DX II fares against D5. Pricing is a tad high compared to the competition but not unreasonably so. D810 was around these levels at launch. The Nikon 14-24 vs Canon 16-35 seems out of place. Why not Nikon 16-35?

Let's enjoy our Nikons and let Canon shooters enjoy theirs.

Aug 25, 2016 at 06:30 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Canon is in a crazy situation that they can't talk about DR because
- it would be admiting that they have been behind for years and humility is definitely not part of their corporate culture
- it would admit that their flagship 5Ds still is behind

Cheers,
Bernard

Aug 25, 2016 at 06:41 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Remember the good old days when Canon would put out a new model, and all we heard here was, "I'm selling all my Nikon stuff!" Anyone wanting to post that today?

Kent in SD

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:59 AM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

SiMuMe wrote:
I think the comment regarding DR is premature. See how 1DX II fares against D5.

Which is behind where it matters, meaning at ISO above 3200.

I do welcome warmly the progress done by Canon at lower ISO, don't get me wrong, but I would pick the D5 any day for still action photography.

This being said, the 5Div is certainly an excellent camera.

Cheers,
Bernard

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:31 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

The press release talks specifically about 'greater detail in the shadows'. Hardly "no info on the DR...".

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:39 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Is this thread designed to bring out the Canon haters with a bunch of self-congratulatory back-slapping?

Although I'm not abandoning Nikon completely, I'm convinced I will be enhancing my Canon and Sony FF systems slightly more, due to the easier interchangeability of the lenses. My decision now is whether to get a 5DsR or 5D4 to maintain parity with my 36MP Sony and Nikon bodies. Both are attractive choices.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:30 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

I am going to be selling my Nikon body to get a Sony A7r, as i want something a little smaller BUT also want something that i can use "alternative" glass on.

And while the 14-24 is spectacular, there is some room for improvement. I bet they will update at some point this century.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:35 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

AvianScott wrote:
The press release talks specifically about 'greater detail in the shadows'. Hardly "no info on the DR...".

That reads like typical mindless marketing speak

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:39 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

bernardl wrote:
Canon is in a crazy situation that they can't talk about DR because
- it would be admiting that they have been behind for years and humility is definitely not part of their corporate culture
- it would admit that their flagship 5Ds still is behind

DR aside, the image quality from the 5DsR is a dramatic improvement over the D810. My only regret at making the switch is how much money I lost due to the steep depreciation of the Nikon gear.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:08 AM
AvianScott
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Mark_L wrote:
That reads like typical mindless marketing speak

With the relatively dramatic increases in low-ISO DR with the 1DxII and 80D from Canon's new sensor tech, there's zero reason not to believe the DR of the 5DIV won't be significantly improved as well - likely on the order of at least 1 full stop. But yeah, mindless marketing speak.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

molson wrote:
DR aside, the image quality from the 5DsR is a dramatic improvement over the D810.

says you, the canon fanboy, i have yet to see an image from canon that proves what you state

molson wrote:
My only regret at making the switch is how much money I lost due to the steep depreciation of the Nikon gear.

oh boo hoo on you

all the bitching you always do about nikon and sony but yet you still buy it, just yet again to complain about it later and cry a river about how much money you lose, looks good on you

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:21 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

SoundHound wrote:
Just read the specs of the new Canon 5D MK IV disappointing and expensive! No info on the DR so I wouldn't expect an improvement. Canon have taken a page from Nikon and predatory priced the battery grip.

Also the 16-35 (MK 3rd time around). Nikon's 14-24 (MK only) still looks great-Nikon did it right the first time. Ditto my D800e.

not to mention what the D500 did to the 7d2, canon just doesn't seem to get it and doesn't seem interested in learning from their mistakes

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:26 AM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

I have yet to see a shot from a Canon or Nikon camera that couldn't be done by the other brand.

As a Nikon shooter I would love nothing better than a release from Canon that beats the pants in specs or price off Nikon, it would force a response and a win - win. Nothing is worse if the releases don't generate envy of the other guys!

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

chip_master wrote:
I have yet to see a shot from a Canon or Nikon camera that couldn't be done by the other brand.

As a Nikon shooter I would love nothing better than a release from Canon that beats the pants in specs or price off Nikon, it would force a response and a win - win. Nothing is worse if the releases don't generate envy of the other guys!

Having shot both 5D2/5D3 and a D800e, I have many situations the 5D sensors cannot handle. Recovering 4 stops of highlights and 4 stops of shadows in the same shot would result in garbage when done with the 5D. Whilst the D800's do this with ease and look like it was just shot at iso 800.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:32 PM
Jawnath1n
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Other than being really expensive, it seems like a nice camera. 4k video, shoots faster, more AF points, more MP than a D750. It has the spec sheet of what I'd expect a D750 successor to look like.

$3500 vs $2300 (at launch) though

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:58 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Jawnath1n wrote:
$3500 vs $2300 (at launch) though

I don't think 5D4 should be compared to D750 ( more likely with at least D810 or future Nikon models ( maybe like " D820" or "D760" ) Anyway this camera looks good, But let see what Nikon will bring to us , and than "War" continue ...

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:31 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

I guess if people miss exposure or push post then Nikon it is. Them Canon shooters don't know what they are missing 😉

playerofwar wrote:
Having shot both 5D2/5D3 and a D800e, I have many situations the 5D sensors cannot handle. Recovering 4 stops of highlights and 4 stops of shadows in the same shot would result in garbage when done with the 5D. Whilst the D800's do this with ease and look like it was just shot at iso 800.

Aug 25, 2016 at 02:19 PM
Jawnath1n
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

PIOK wrote:
I don't think 5D4 should be compared to D750 ( more likely with at least D810 or future Nikon models ( maybe like " D820" or "D760" ) Anyway this camera looks good, But let see what Nikon will bring to us , and than "War" continue ...

I think you can make a valid comparison with both the D750 and D810. Based on specs the 5D IV sort of sits between the two but it is priced closer to a D810. I sort of look at the 5DS R as the high MP D810 competitor.

However what I am getting at is that it seems weird to think the camera isn't very good (as this post and much of the sentiment on the Canon forum would suggest). The specs suggest that it is a step above the D750 in about every way and better than the D810 in every way except for pixel count (which it isn't really that far off anyway). The D750 and D810 are great cameras so the 5DIV should be a hell of a camera too.

Aug 25, 2016 at 02:35 PM
bernardl
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Glad I (mostly) shoot Nikon

Overall, it is increasingly clear that Canon's main investments are towards video while Nikon remains more still focused.

AF is where it shows most with live view AF much better on the Canon and OVF AF increasingly superior on the Nikon, at least judging from the 1DxII vs D5.

So if you like to hold your camera at arm's length go Canon, if you prefer a more traditional OVF shooting experience, go Nikon. If you don't mind an EVF, go Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:14 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.