New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Cool

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cool

Your comments and critiques always welcome.

Steve

Cool

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:09 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cool

eeneryma wrote:
Your comments and critiques always welcome.

Steve

Seems a bit saturated ... considered a pullback on sat, then I just started playing.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:52 PM
vilimo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cool

it's / they're cool!!! (I like the cooler temp one )

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:14 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cool

Thanks Kent for all these variations. I tried black and white before I posted the color one but didn't think it worked as well. I do like your slightly less saturated version better than my original. I did not increase saturation on the version I posted, only adjusted curves and levels on various parts of the image, to taste.

Steve

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:24 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cool

the sign makes it
wish he was sharper
blown out highlights
if going monotone cool toning (eg cyanotype emulation) might be in order

Scott

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:58 AM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cool

Good eye! I agree with sbeme though. A cyanotype emulation or a cream tone might work very well here.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cool

peacefrog33756 wrote:
Good eye! I agree with sbeme though. A cyanotype emulation or a cream tone might work very well here.

To Scott and Peacefrog:

Thanks guys for looking and commenting. Will try a cyanotype conversion over the weekend.

Steve

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cool

Just got around to seeing this. I suspect because of my 1) poor vision or 2) visual taste induced by Kodachrome and Technicolor, that I prefer your original, the others are hard to see.

I do wish the guy was sharper.

Aug 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cool

I agree with Ben, the edits are good but I prefer the original.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cool

It is a good idea to time a pedestrian within a larger scene but I see problems with this particular composition. One, the scene itself without the man is cluttered with the foreground taken up to a great extent by the dumpster leaving little space to catch the man in the free and clear. Then, there is the bright orange material on the bottom right that cuts off the fellow and leaves a bright distraction in the corner. I think minimalism works well in these sorts of scenes. I would find the composition first and wait for a passerby that complements next.

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Cool

maybe pushed a bit far, but illustrating a cyanotype toning
also recovered highlights

Scott

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:53 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Cool

sbeme wrote:
maybe pushed a bit far, but illustrating a cyanotype toning
also recovered highlights

Scott

Nice processing Scott! Thanks for illustrating.

Steve

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:38 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Cool

Brev00 wrote:
It is a good idea to time a pedestrian within a larger scene but I see problems with this particular composition. One, the scene itself without the man is cluttered with the foreground taken up to a great extent by the dumpster leaving little space to catch the man in the free and clear. Then, there is the bright orange material on the bottom right that cuts off the fellow and leaves a bright distraction in the corner. I think minimalism works well in these sorts of scenes. I would find the composition first and wait for a passerby that
...Show more

Appreciate your comments. Street photography rarely provides a perfect situation since one has little or no control, and everything changes in milliseconds. That is why it is an incredible challenge but so satisfying when it all comes together. Eric Kim, a master street photographer, says he gets one decent shot a month, one shot a year that he is proud of.

There are certainly deficits in this image, things that I'd love to have changed if I could, some of which you've pointed out. On the other hand, there are things that I love here, for instance the geometry of the image, very much a gritty cityscape, the graffiti in the background, the incredible irony of capturing the man carrying the "cooler" case. So ultimately, I recognize the weaknesses and exalt in what I feel are the strengths, and go out every day or as much as I can "hunting" for the perfect street photo.

Steve

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:57 PM
peacefrog33756
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Cool

Essentially, it's a very good, appealing image. Well done!

Aug 27, 2016 at 06:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Cool

eeneryma wrote:
Appreciate your comments. Street photography rarely provides a perfect situation since one has little or no control, and everything changes in milliseconds. That is why it is an incredible challenge but so satisfying when it all comes together. Eric Kim, a master street photographer, says he gets one decent shot a month, one shot a year that he is proud of.

There are certainly deficits in this image, things that I'd love to have changed if I could, some of which you've pointed out. On the other hand, there are things that I love here, for instance the geometry of
...Show more

Did you catch the "cool" on the wall and the "cooler" in his hand before you took it? Or was this just serendipity? No matter, that sort of congruence in images is probably found in most styles. If I get a crown of clouds that mirror the mountain peak, its mostly good fortune, but at least I have more time to discover the fact before I snap the shutter.

Your timing in such things shows me that it's more than just good luck.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:04 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Cool

ben egbert wrote:
Did you catch the "cool" on the wall and the "cooler" in his hand before you took it? Or was this just serendipity? No matter, that sort of congruence in images is probably found in most styles. If I get a crown of clouds that mirror the mountain peak, its mostly good fortune, but at least I have more time to discover the fact before I snap the shutter.

Your timing in such things shows me that it's more than just good luck.

Hey Ben, and yes to I noticed the "cool" first, examined and liked the scene, realized the opportunity of the space next to the dumpster, and thought that a person in that space would make the photo more dynamic. The "cooler" guy was the 3rd person to walk by. I call it "photographic serendipity". It's like when Dave talked recently about rounding a curve and "knowing" that there was going to be a bear up ahead, just a strange "feeling." When this kind of stuff happens, it makes you wonder. 😀😀😀😀

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:20 AM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Cool

Steve

I'm not a street photographer but I've looked at and admired that pursuit. My friend Steve Solinsky is someone I greatly admire.

I like the construction of your picture and the serendipity. The desaturated render works; the dappled light. As you say it's not the end all street pic but it does feel gritty and real. I look forward to looking at more.

Claude

Aug 28, 2016 at 02:50 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Cool

claudefiddler wrote:
Steve

I'm not a street photographer but I've looked at and admired that pursuit. My friend Steve Solinsky is someone I greatly admire.

I like the construction of your picture and the serendipity. The desaturated render works; the dappled light. As you say it's not the end all street pic but it does feel gritty and real. I look forward to looking at more.

Claude

Hey Claude and thanks so much for your comments and kind words.

Steve

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.