Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

jskintauy

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Hi Folks,
I would love to be able to use a Godox 360 (or maybe 600 with the H600 off camera head) with a flash bracket. I would also like to be able to use a small softbox or a beauty dish with such a setup.
I have seen this done with an Elinchrom Quadra, but the Godox 360 looks like it might be too large / heavy (not sure).
I am open to any suggested setups.

Aug 24, 2016 at 07:45 PM
joel022484
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

If you go with the 360, I would suggest also buying what Godox calls their S-Type Speeklite Bracket. This will allow you to use light modifiers (softboxes, etc.) with a Bowens mount. If you decide to add or change to a 600 later on, it also uses a Bowens mount, so you can keep the same light modifiers. A softbox/beauty dish/umbrella would work fine on this mount.

With the 360, you would mount the light in the bracket and then you could hang the battery on your light stand. The 600 could mount on top of a light stand, or if you get the Extension Head, the head would go on top and again the battery could hang somewhere lower on the light stand.

Aug 25, 2016 at 06:45 AM
jskintauy

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Hi Joel,
Thanks for the reply. What I am trying to is attach the light to a bracket attached to the camera, not a lightstand. I am trying to get away from always having to have an assistant - human powered lightstand - to use off camera flash. If these units are lite enough, I can mount the head on the bracket and attach the battery to a belt or strap. Again, not sure that is feasible, but that is what I want to do.

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:59 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

i've used the AD360II in practice and at one event. It is heavy, but it worked. As for off-camera, a bracket is still on-camera, but you can bounce it to get the off-camera effect. I would not try to make the on-camera source bigger, because the biggest modifier that will fit on a bracket is still pretty small and still essentially direct light, unless that was my only option (bounce not possible).

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:48 PM
VinWeathermon

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Guys I want to put the Godox AD360II on a flash bracket on-camera, since they themselves are recommending that you don't use the hotshoe of the camera or you'll ruin your hot shoe. I do have a stroboframe type of bracket that was made for 6X6 cameras but it is too cumbersome. The godox flash is so heavy that cheap brackets and the flash hotshoe extension really isn't a good option. I do want TTL or I'd just go with cold shoe and sync cable.....?

Sep 01, 2016 at 09:27 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Nikon SC-28 (assuming you have Nikon gear) cable and something from Custom Brackets, like an RF-PRO . The CB Mini 1/4"-20 might work, at which point you just spin the head to accommodate portrait vs landscape.

CB also makes a shortened SC-28 to reduce cable bulk.

Sep 02, 2016 at 07:58 AM
gnjphotography
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

So get the r2 transmitter and place the light on flash bracket. Problem solved. Custom Brackets has decent brackets. Gives you TTL and HSS capability as well.

Sep 03, 2016 at 08:48 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

gnjphotography wrote:
So get the r2 transmitter and place the light on flash bracket. Problem solved. Custom Brackets has decent brackets. Gives you TTL and HSS capability as well.
Have you tried that? Because I have, and it is almost useless with TTL and mostly unreliable with manual - there is some type of minimum distance between the TX and flash units.

I have a request in to Godox to define the minimum distance, so far no answer (unsurprisingly).

Sep 04, 2016 at 05:22 PM
boomanbb
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Assuming you have updated your firmware, there is a short range mode for your transmitter. Just hold the Test button down when you turn it on. The LED will blink twice and you can then have the transmitter right next to your flash in TTL.

Ben

Oct 02, 2016 at 10:41 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

That worked, thanks. Google says it's up to 30 meters, which is good enough for most things (e.g., on-cam key, off-cam accent) in an enclosed space.

Oct 03, 2016 at 08:57 AM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

PS: for those looking, the new features are in the firmware update readme.

Oct 24, 2016 at 09:16 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

I use my Quantum X5d-R's (400Ws) on a RRS WP-1. The Godox and Quantums are a similar size except the Godox are more bulky with the capacitors in their heads. The Quantum is lighter and have connecting cables to make TTL work but the flip type bracket works really well.

Oct 24, 2016 at 06:23 PM
dmward
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Using Godox on flash bracket.

Any bracket that works with a Quantum unit should be substantial enough for the 360. I'd put the 1/4 20 base on the flash and attach it to the bracket via that and a screw or spigot.

Godox makes a 16" collapsible beauty dish/ octa that fits directly onto the head. It should work great for your application.

Oct 28, 2016 at 02:58 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.