2. Piercen Saint - 8x10b by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

3. Piercen Saint - 8x10c by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

4. Ryder Gipson - 5x7 by Section Sports Pix, on Flickr

Aug 24, 2016 at 02:02 PM
shuttlemanfl

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple of T&I pics

Hey Rob!

Nice shots. Do you always offer the text on your individual shots?

Aug 24, 2016 at 05:13 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple of T&I pics

Brilliant work!

Are the shots actual action shots or do you set them up and tell the kids to run from here to there or whatever.

If I could produce work like that, I would make an absolute fortune!

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:19 AM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Couple of T&I pics

Thank you.

Shuttleman - Yes. I usually make one or two templates and let the parents choose. Then I have a base template and just change the names. For upward, their uniforms are the same through all the age groups, so I change the team name but not the colors. I change the colors when I get a different colored team.

It's a little more work but it's something different than the other guys offer.

Glort - I just set up some cones and have them run from one cone to the next and back the other way. Then I have the coach throw them a pass and have the kids throw it back. That's it. I ask the coach if they want to be in the pic. If so, I just have them stand and do something "coach-like" - clap, point, stand, etc.

It's pretty easy. You should try this type of pic at least once with one team. I pick the best shot of the kids running, throwing, etc. and send them off to be cut-out (www.photoshopit.com - highly recommended) for $1.25 each. Just factor that into the package cost. I used to cut them out but this service is well worth it! Lastly, plug the cut out into templates you already have and thats it.

Edited on Aug 25, 2016 at 11:59 AM · View previous versions

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:29 AM
rswheels

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Couple of T&I pics

Nice Job as always rob4bama! With everyone having DSLR's these days you have to be able to offer something the others cannot.

I completely agree with sending images off to be extracted. This year was the first time I out sourced to a third party and the time and frustration I saved was well worth the additional money not to mention my turn-around time is quicker.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Couple of T&I pics

As always, very nice work!

Aug 25, 2016 at 05:39 PM
shuttlemanfl

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Couple of T&I pics

Cone idea is brilliant. So simple

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:33 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Couple of T&I pics

rob4bama wrote:
It's pretty easy. You should try this type of pic at least once with one team. I pick the best shot of the kids running, throwing, etc. and send them off to be cut-out (www.photoshopit.com - highly recommended) for $1.25 each. Just factor that into the package cost. I used to cut them out but this service is well worth it! Lastly, plug the cut out into templates you already have and thats it.

You're damn right I should try it!
And I will !!

I set up an account with photoshopit before when you recommended them a while back but never got round to doing any more about it.
The soccer club my daughter plays for is having their presentation day in a couple of weeks and I am doing some shots for them to put on their FB page etc as well as letting the kids run riot with my Photobooth.

Luckily after the the very meagre offerings I gave them compared to what you do and a couple of things I have helped them with, I walk on water with everyone there. I will make sure I remember to grab a few Kids and shoot some test shots with and send them to photoshopit and then play with backgrounds.

Editing on the computer is not something I'm good with and try to put off but I think I can knucle down to this particularly if I can get the money for it I know I will. Hell, who knows? If it takes off as I see no reason it couldn't, I'll hire some geek kid to come in and do it for me.....who will probably do it 5 times as fast and 10 times as good! :0)
I'm better at working on things rather than in things so I'll look after shoot and promo and they can do the actual work.
But for the start, it will be DI-Me

I believe you said you do your own backgrounds, but for the pathetically talent less, any suggestions where one might source some decent ones?

I have done next to nothing the last year or so but I really enjoyed doing the T&I this time.
I think the thing that made it much better was doing my own printing. Yes, it is more time and hassle BUT, it gave me the ability to do a weeks turnaround which they were thrilled with and to do everything perfect.

I checked the orders then my daughter then my wife. For the very few I missed or messed up, I could go and fix them straight away and they were done. No sending stuff back to the lab and figuring which team it went with etc. Might not be a big thing for a lot of more organised people but It was a plus for me.

I think I mentioned before to you that I was amazed at how cheap you sold your work but for me price is not something I regard as an issue. I have come to realise how big some of the sports clubs are around here and I would only need to do 4-5 a season to keep me busy.
I'd have NO problem pricing this level of work well above any of my competitors because I'm very confident If I could produce work of the level you are doing, I would have ZERO trouble if I started at $40 for a sheet of Individual's and an A4 team.

Then I'd look at what I was going to do above the base coverage!

You have put me in a Quandary now......
I got a bunch of referrals for other summer sports and clubs from the people in the soccer club I shot. I wanted to jump on them early but now I'll have to hold off until I try this new way of doing things and get some samples. Don't know if to get in front of them anyway with what I have as I could always presnt the other stuff as an option but doing this level of work would take me from an also ran ATM to blowing everyone else out the water!

I don't think I'll be offering 1 week turnaround on these but I also know if I'm showing this stuff they will be stoked to get it back in a month!

Thanks again for sharing your pics and information. It is much appreciated and very motivational which is something I BADLY need these days.

You set a very high standard in your work which I think is bloody brilliant and I'll be very pleased If my own efforts come anywhere near what you do.

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:29 PM
wally5656
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Couple of T&I pics

These are top notch! Thanks for explaining your work flow. I admire your work very much!

Aug 27, 2016 at 08:59 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Couple of T&I pics

Great stuff. Always enjoy your work.

Aug 27, 2016 at 09:28 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Couple of T&I pics

Rob, you are a great inspiration to my own designs. (Meaning I rip off, er, borrow subtle design elements all day long, er, I mean occasionally.)

I was working on a design and loved your hex background so much I had to put one in.

Thanks!
John

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:12 PM
rob4bama
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Couple of T&I pics

John Patrick wrote:
Rob, you are a great inspiration to my own designs. (Meaning I rip off, er, borrow subtle design elements all day long, er, I mean occasionally.)

I was working on a design and loved your hex background so much I had to put one in.

Thanks!
John

No problem! In fact, the hexagon isn't my design. I signed up for an email list here, http://www.mikeluter.com/, and got the design for free. I think he works for / with http://photosolutionsmarket.com/. They have really cool stuff.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Couple of T&I pics

WOW....Rob these are really amazing.....top notch detail and quality. I'll also have to check out that company for the cut outs.

Thanks for sharing
Frank

Aug 30, 2016 at 10:01 AM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Couple of T&I pics

glort wrote:
I believe you said you do your own backgrounds, but for the pathetically talent less, any suggestions where one might source some decent ones?

I similarly lack talent in the background department and recently did a one month membership with ashedesign.com to fill that gap. Kids football teams around here do these picture lanyard things for the moms, apparently it's a thing, don't ask. This year I decided it worthwhile to step it up if we were going to do it(I'm the defacto team photographer since I like doing it and the only one who has an interest). I snapped quick action pictures of all the kids then spent an evening using fluid mask to mask them all out and drop them in a preset template. Goes quick once you get into a groove.

Here is the one for my son as an example. The template really ups the quality of the end result.

Edit: I know the masking isn't perfect, I knew the end result was going to be a 4x6 print out so didn't kill myself getting it perfect.

http://i.imgur.com/kmZYGp4.jpg

Aug 30, 2016 at 04:33 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.