Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Try and pronounce this...

mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Try and pronounce this...

All,

I need some advice.

At this moment, my business name is Mark Gauthier Photography.

Yeah... can you pronounce my last name? 3 chances...

What's that? You have no idea? Neither does 90% of my clients.

My middle name is Anthony. I am thinking to change my business name to Mark Anthony Photography.

What do I need to watch out for with this? Is my last name as difficult as I am making it?

Btw, it's pronounced "goat-cheese" (just drop the S sound) "goatchie" (French Canadian)

Thank you in advance.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:54 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Try and pronounce this...

Neither name is a good choice for seo on your website.
Mark with a "k" is probably also unusual to your clients - if they have to type in their name, most will probably not find you.

Unfortunately, mg-photography.com and mag-photography.com are both already taken...

But go-here-photography.com and goat-cheese-photography.com are still available

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:11 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Try and pronounce this...

GoatChiPhoto.com is available. There could be a goat logo...

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:17 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Try and pronounce this...

Marry and change your name...

(0:

Sorry could not resist! Why don´t go with something that is not your name and photography?

heiko

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Try and pronounce this...

BSPhotog wrote:
GoatChiPhoto.com is available. There could be a goat logo...

So is www.mark-goat-cheese-minus-the-s-photography.com.

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:38 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Try and pronounce this...

There's already a bunch of *Mark Anthony* Photographers in the world. Do you want to get lost in the Google crowd?

Why not MAG Photography? Or M.A.G. Photography? Something along those lines might stand out more in a search field.

Either that or have a bit of fun with the pronunciation on your *about me* page. Turn your name into marketing like $50.00 discount if the pronounce it right first go....

I don't use my own name for my business and it's never been a problem.

Gordon

Aug 24, 2016 at 03:03 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Try and pronounce this...

Is this you ?

http://oraleusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/marc-anthony-monday-night-football-game-01.jpg

Aug 24, 2016 at 03:12 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Try and pronounce this...

The only way it would affect you is if people are searching you by name and aren't sure how to spell it. But I doubt it matters if they know how to pronounce it. This is coming from someone where 99.9% of people who come across my name have no idea how to pronounce it (in fact I had a groom mispronounce my name this weekend and I just didn't bother to correct him)

Aug 24, 2016 at 04:23 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Try and pronounce this...

Greetings!

I don't know you or your brand, so this may not work. But what about Goat Cheese Photography? I mean it. If your brand permits, it would be a fantastic conversation starter and you would be immediately memorable. You could also do some interesting things with your logo.

"Food for thought"

Chuck

Aug 24, 2016 at 04:59 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Try and pronounce this...

Couple things to think about when choosing a name for your business. This may or may not matter to you. If someday down the road want you want to retire and perhaps sell your business, you will have an easier time selling it if your personal name is not part of the business name.

Also using a male name in a photography business these days may not be the best strategy going forward since most buyers are principally female. For some, not all, women will move on when seeing a male name associated with a photo studio.

Aug 24, 2016 at 05:20 PM
Michael Beard
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Try and pronounce this...

canerino wrote:
Greetings!

I don't know you or your brand, so this may not work. But what about Goat Cheese Photography? I mean it. If your brand permits, it would be a fantastic conversation starter and you would be immediately memorable. You could also do some interesting things with your logo.

"Food for thought"

Chuck

I had the same thought. Definitely memorable!

Aug 24, 2016 at 07:43 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Try and pronounce this...

In my head I read it "Go Tee Ay"

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:23 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Try and pronounce this...

Never thought I would see mark anthony picture. the one that hangs with jay-lo...

-Mark A.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:13 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Try and pronounce this...

Your location is Black Diamond?

What about Black Diamond Wedding Photography? That would be close to likley search terms and is easy to remember for your clients.
If that is taken, how about variations? Black Diamond wedding and portrait, Black Diamond wedding Photo.....

I would suggest keeping the terms in the name relevant. I doubt too many people would put the words Goat and Cheese in the search terms when looking for a wedding shooter.

I think simple and straightforward would serve you better than clever and witty in this particular case.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:39 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Try and pronounce this...

"Queso de Cabra Fotografía" ? Oh my God !

Aug 25, 2016 at 04:46 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Try and pronounce this...

Once I opened my studio, I wished I had changed the name to Fox River Studio or Fox Valley or something along those lines.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:19 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Try and pronounce this...

Lol that was a good laugh.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:02 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Try and pronounce this...

When I started my biz, I had to purchase the web domain; "jim coleman photography" and have it redirect to my site because that's how everyone spells my name.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Try and pronounce this...

Go-SHAY is how we would say it in the south.
But I'm from Louisiana so, it's not unfamiliar to me. I've had several Gauthier clients as well, but they all pronounced it go-shay.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:05 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Try and pronounce this...

jcolman wrote:
When I started my biz, I had to purchase the web domain; "jim coleman photography" and have it redirect to my site because that's how everyone spells my name.

And after years of seeing you post I just realized that your name is Colman and not Coleman.

Sweet cheese and crackers, it's like my mind just put the E in there every time.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.