New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Affinity

runakid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Affinity

Anyone using this system? Is it for real? I want something that it is not PS.

Aug 23, 2016 at 07:28 PM
mb_320l
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Affinity

Don't know Affinity but I use and love Capture One Pro.

Aug 24, 2016 at 01:20 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Affinity

Tried it shorty after first release (at that time it was for free)

Pretty much very similar to Photoshop, only real 'issue' is that it at that time lacked the extensive 'how to' tutorials Photoshop has (may have improved since then) although there are 'basic' ones available

Being a long time (and very satisfied) user of Nikon Capture NX2 (simple 'what you see is what you get' program, maybe a bit slow but with the, for Nikon NEF's, best results), I don't use Photoshop (or any other kind of Adobe processing software like Elements or LR), nor Capture One or other processing software (OK Seashore, but that really isn't a serious program)

Consequently not familiar with all the tricks on how to use those programs, which makes Affinity as awkward as Photoshop etc to work with for me (you can't teach an old dog new tricks )

But I think that if you are a proficient user of Photoshop and the likes programs, it can be a viable option

Aug 24, 2016 at 03:32 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Affinity

Affinity is doing some great work. Photo is not up to par feature for feature or function for function to what can be done overall in Photoshop ... but then, most photographers don't really need much of what Ps is capable of.

I dropped Illustrator from my workflow very soon after they released Designer. Likewise, Designer has all the form and function without the bloat and dead weight that Illustrator had become.

The plus side is, Affinity Photo is extremely light weight and efficient compared to Ps, The biggest difference in in nomenclature and jargon used to refer to some functions and features. It's kind of like getting a new car of a different brand. The steering wheel, pedals and shifter are in the same locations, but the lights, wipers, radio and other buttons may look different or be in slightly different locations.

And yes, there is much less in the way of tutorials for Affinity Photo vs Ps ... but consider that the former has only been around a couple of years and the latter has been around for over a quarter of a century.

I've been using Ps since 1992 (v2.0) and have invested thousands of hours using it. I have never really believed in the cliche that we 'Old Dogs' can't learn new tricks ... we certainly can and do learn new tricks every day. I find Affinity Photo holds much promise and for the current $50 one-time fee, it's a no-brainer to keep around just in case Adobe continues their attitude shift. I'm not quite ready to make such a shift for all my daily tasks ... but I would not hesitate doing so if circumstances would change.

Aug 24, 2016 at 09:54 AM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Affinity

Affinity Photo for OSX is a great photo editor on the Macintosh
Performs the edits I need to do, is fast, and not bloatware.
Affinity also has image stitching, haze removal, RAW editing, Full DCI-P3 panel support for Imac 5K, etc.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Affinity

I really like AP/Mac, and they're supposed to release a version for Windows this year. I've used PS since v5 or 6, and AP seems to have everything I need. UI takes some getting used to, but results are excellent. If you're on a Mac, they have a free trial on their website (buy the app from the Mac App Store). If you're on Windows, I think you may still be able to sign up for their beta program.

They have a growing number of video tutorials you could watch to get an idea of capabilities. I still use PS CS6, but am gradually weaning myself of it. If you use layered TIFFs, be sure to check how AP opens them, as I've read some compatibility issues a while back.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:09 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Affinity

No Manual Yet

Feature list shows not sign of Automation Actions or Scripting

Wibdows beta software Mac version a Product.

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:18 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
No Manual Yet

Feature list shows not sign of Automation Actions or Scripting

Wibdows beta software Mac version a Product.

Not that big of a deal for a lot of photographers.

As I recall, Photoshop was also Mac only for at least the first two full version cycles. There was little in the way of automation for many years and the 'manual' left a lot to be desired.

As I stated earlier, Affinity Photo may not be quite ready to replace Ps for some workflows, but the potential is there and the price of entry is extremely affordable.

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Affinity

Affinity may be excellent image editor on Mac's it beta on Windows and without automation IMO it is far from ready to replace Photoshop. Many have a huge investment in Photoshop without scripts like Image Processor pro and other batch automation features Affinity is no more than an additional tool they can use along with Photoshop. Not a Photoshop replacement at all.

Aug 26, 2016 at 02:03 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
Affinity is no more than an additional tool they can use along with Photoshop. Not a Photoshop replacement at all.

Well, one could say that a truck is no replacement for a wagon, just an additional tool. That would be - I guess - a fact. I certainly have no crystal ball, but I'm guessing that Affinity (and there are other slowly rising contenders) is becoming a replacement for Ps at least for many photogs. Yes, many of us have years of "blood, toil, sweat, and tears" invested in Ps. I shudder to think back to how long and how much I've paid for the small mastery I've gained.

Affinity at this point, I think, has at least 85% of Ps 6's functionality, and it is at only version 1.4 - a year old. The interface is cleaner, it certainly seems to be making much more efficient use of the hardware, and it has a coherency that I haven't seen in Ps since about v.2. What it doesn't have is Ps' extraordinary bloat. That piece after piece experience of yet another new function bolted onto the same old wagon. As far as I know, Adobe has never done a serious from the ground up rewrite of Ps to bring its functional core to modern standards. For photographers as opposed to graphic designers, there's just a lot of cruft laying about that seems to get in the way.

Yes, I still use Ps as my principal tool, mostly I think because of sheer intellectual inertia. I'm surprised at how much that weighs in my mind. Yet, I find myself dipping into it more and more and finding that pretty much everything is there. The tools and terminology of photo processing certainly pre-date Adobe, and they're all in Affinity. Also in a truly brilliant more they've crafted their plugin receptacle such that it uses - many if not all - Ps plugins. Rather a neat trick that could save people hundreds of dollars.

Then there's the fact that for $50 you own it. H*** for that amount of dough, I've bought plugins that turned out to be worthless. I'm sure down the road there will be paid updates, I expect that. After all, it does cost time and energy to keep pushing a product towards greatness.

There are excellent video tutorials at affinityserif.com plus a growing set of YouTube efforts. I've not been thru them all, but they have been short, to the point, and helpful. As for the cry of no manual - what, huh! I've been cheated. I can't remember Ps arriving with a manual in wow at least 10-years. In fact. I have half of a long bookshelf with 3rd party books explaining how to deal with the various iterations of Ps.The mysteries, the hidden tricks, the "bet you didn't know that." There's an entire industry out there trying to make Ps useable, apprehendable, functional. That in and of itself is a telling point.

I doubt Affinity Photo will "replace" Ps, but I'm confident that if its programmers stay at on it, Affinity will be a completely viable tool for PHOTOGRAPHERS as opposed to graphic illustrators.

Time will tell, but it's definitely a solid horse to bet on. One thing I will bet the farm on, is that as new photographers begin to learn to actually process their photos (It's amazing how many reasonable competent photographers I've met that don't PP at all), they'll look at the ransom ware of Adobe, its utter complexity and irrationality, and promptly shell out the 50 bucks for an affordable and cleaner solutions. No scripts, well if you've invested in them, you'll likely hang on to the wagon cause that's what you know and if not love at least you've come to know the grumpy beast. "The devil you know is better than the one you don't."

"I'm just saying, just saying" ala Barney Fife

Robert

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:56 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Affinity

I would love to see PS have competition in the Image editing field. Photoshop is more than I want I do not develop for the web or mobile devices. I do not need 3d Tools. Most of all I do not need Adobe Photoshop Bug. I spent years fighting with Adobe to fix bugs I have reported. Adobe has fixes some bugs I have reported but other bugs I have reported Adobe just acknowledge are bugs and state Adobe may fix them is some future release of Photoshop. But Adobe does not choose to fix the bugs. The bugs are in Photoshop release after release. New Photoshop version are unusable when first released and have compatibility issues with previous releases. For me, a competitor must have scripting feature.

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:25 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
I would love to see PS have competition in the Image editing field. Photoshop is more than I want I do not develop for the web or mobile devices. I do not need 3d Tools. Most of all I do not need Adobe Photoshop Bug. I spent years fighting with Adobe to fix bugs I have reported. Adobe has fixes some bugs I have reported but other bugs I have reported Adobe just acknowledge are bugs and state Adobe may fix them is some future release of Photoshop. But Adobe does not choose to fix the bugs. The bugs
...Show more

No doubt, there will be more in-depth scripting as development goes on. To me, it's worth spending $50 today and spending a little time on the Affinity forum offering ideas and input on that development. Heck, I've bought plugins in the past that offered much less and cost much more.

Besides, you aren't going to get what you want if you don't offer the input ... unlike Adobe, the folks at Affinity seem to be much more responsive to users concerns.

Even cheaper, sign up for the Windows beta ... let your voice be heard while you kick the tires.

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:38 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Affinity

butchM wrote:
Even cheaper, sign up for the Windows beta ... let your voice be heard while you kick the tires.

I have a CC subscription have more beta code than I want.

I just download the Windows beta installed and started without a problem. First impression is It look like it is more an Illustrator than a Photoshop. I only use Adobe Photoshop one Adobe product is all I can handle. So I'm lost in in this App it will require some real effort and tutorials before I can do anything.

Aug 27, 2016 at 05:27 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
So I'm lost in in this App it will require some real effort and tutorials before I can do anything.

Trying to share link ... Problematic as it wants to embed here on FM.

Go to Vimeo.com and search for MacAffinity they have over 240 videos there

Aug 27, 2016 at 07:03 PM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Affinity

It turns out I installed Affinity Designer Beta. Affinity Photo Beta is not available yet. MacAffinity Photo also seems to be lacking in the RAW conversion area. There is no lens correction yet and other RAW conversion feature we have become comfortable using with other image software. I removed Affinity Designer Beta from my machine.

Aug 27, 2016 at 09:19 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Affinity

There is definitely lens correction capability in Affinity Photo ... In the RAW process. It is not a canned process based on profiles like we have become accustomed to in ACR and Lr ... It's all manual.

It should not come as any surprise that a v1 product doesn't have everything that exists elsewhere just yet. It's early days.

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:15 PM
fmanderson

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
Not a Photoshop replacement at all.

I think what you meant to say here is that it's not a replacement for some people. There are many for whom it has replaced Photoshop but it's going to depend on each users needs. For my needs as a photographer, it has completely replaced it and I can do everything I used to be able to do in Photoshop.

Regarding scrips, I believe that's in the upcoming update.

Sep 09, 2016 at 01:45 AM
Mr Mouse
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Affinity

No, I far as I see it is still not available on Windows there is a promise of a windows beta. There is an AI type beta application for windows. Mac user only for now.

I have not used a Mac since the Mac G5 back in 1995 cost 10K back then where OS7 and OS9 was Apples attempt at an OS. Steve switched to a Unix-like system when he switch apple from the IBM Power PC the Intel x86 processors.

Sep 09, 2016 at 08:45 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:
No, I far as I see it is still not available on Windows there is a promise of a windows beta. There is an AI type beta application for windows. Mac user only for now.

I have not used a Mac since the Mac G5 back in 1995 cost 10K back then where OS7 and OS9 was Apples attempt at an OS. Steve switched to a Unix-like system when he switch apple from the IBM Power PC the Intel x86 processors.

Not exactly. Apple's migration to OS X and its UNIX foundation began well before the x86 hardware switchover in 2006. You could get OS X on G4 and G5 computers (which were the last generation of PowerPC chips that Apple used before moving over to Intel). My first OS X machine was running OS X 2.0 back around 2002 or 2003. When Apple moved to Intel there was a second migration from Universal to Intel-only versions of OS X, and I believe OS X 7.0 ("Snow Leopard") finally ditched the legacy PowerPC code and the PowerPC emulation mode.

As for the OP's original question, my limited use of Affinity Photo indicates that it is a very powerful illustration and photo editing platform. I haven't tried any automation with it, but I suspect Adobe still has an edge there. It also does not have Adobe's 3D features, but I find PS's 3D features to be pretty abominable overall... much better to use dedicated 3D apps like zBrush or Maya for that sort of thing.

Sep 09, 2016 at 04:11 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Affinity

Mr Mouse wrote:

Almost everything you shared about 'Mac' is completely, factually wrong.

I purchased two Apple Iici computers a flatbed scanner with two licenses for Photoshop in 1993, networked and installed for under $3,000. The Apple reseller i used even kicked in the second copy of Ps at no additional charge. Much less than $10,000.

The G5 was introduced in 2003, not 1995. In the mid 90s it was the 64k Powermacs coming on the scene ... still way under the $10k price tag. The G5 also ran OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

Apple did not switch from the IBM processor to Intel ... the previous iteration Power PC chips came from Motorola.

While you may not hold an appreciation for Apple OS7 - OS 9, I made a darn good living running that 'attempt' at an OS and very thankful it was not any of the competing options at the time.

I'm sure Affinity will make it to the Windows market, you'll just have to be patient while they crunch the code to allow for the near infinite hardware configurations that must need addressed. They've been quite industrious in their effort. It will come.

Sep 09, 2016 at 10:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.