Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

I'd like to add a little control to a particular senario with my speedlights.

I want to have an on-camera speedlight with ETTL.
I want to have 2-3 speedlights remotely triggered from the camera.
I want to have the remote speedlights in manual mode.

All quite easy so far. Set my PW TT5 transmitter to fire off the remote ligts and pop on a flash on top of that. Set the remote speedlights to manual...

BUT... I want also to have remote control of the power of my remote (manual) speedlights, so that I don't have to drop them down on their tall light stands every time i feel tere needs to be a change.

This is where my system falls down. Currently I have no way of remotely changing the power of my remote, manual speedlights. PW offer me the AC3, but it doesn't give me pass-through.

I've tried configuring a way of having an extra remote with the AC3, dedicated to changing the power, but no joy.

Is there a way, (even with a different system) that I can have this combination of control:

ETTL with on-camera flash together with remote manual speedlights (that can have their power changed remotely).

(I can do this with my Profoto B1's as remote lights because of the separate air remote and ability to trigger them from a PW on my camera, but B1's on tall stands fills me with fear in crowded rooms...! )

Aug 23, 2016 at 03:17 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

The currently-offered flash systems of both Canon and Nikon can do what you want with your choice of optical or radio link to the remote units.

Aug 24, 2016 at 09:50 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

I've since discovered the Cactus V6 triggers. Just debating whether to spend the extra £££ on the Mk2 which offers HSS (not often required but could be nice to have as a failsafe).

Aug 24, 2016 at 03:07 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Get the Godox 860x, it is a transceiver unit. Very reliable and easy to use. Just be sure you buy from a U.S. distributor in case you have any service problems. It is a fraction of the cost of similar Canon gear and comes with lithium battery that lasts forever.

Aug 24, 2016 at 09:18 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

I use pocket wizard Ittl radios and a zone controller it takes place of the on camera speedlite if you want you can control speedlites with same setup and a speedlite on camera.

The cheapest way is use the speedlite built in system cand use the camera menu system to control speedlites

Next get a long ettl cable and put all your speedlites off camera like they should be. Control master using cable then using ir system to control other speedlites. Several really good examples in the speedlites handbook by sly arena.

Aug 25, 2016 at 05:10 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Maybe I'm missing something, but what about a mini tt1 and AC3 on camera, flash bracket with Flex tt5 and flash attached to the camera and then the other remote flashes remain the same. You would at least have power control of three groups. Your "on camera" flash would actually be another remote, but attached to the camera with the flash bracket.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:02 AM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

story_teller wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but what about a mini tt1 and AC3 on camera, flash bracket with Flex tt5 and flash attached to the camera and then the other remote flashes remain the same. You would at least have power control of three groups. Your "on camera" flash would actually be another remote, but attached to the camera with the flash bracket.

True, but that gets to be a lot of hardware to carry - particuarly as I carry two cameras. There's only so much this old body can carry...

I think PW are missing a trick here. They should look at the Cactus solution / design.

I've ordered 3x Cactus V6 Mk2 triggers as they seem to do exactly what I need. (I don't really need the HSS, but it's nice to have the flexibility if I ever do).

My PW TT5 / TT1 system will still find use, either when combining my Profoto Air remotes with my radio'd Sekonic, or when I want to trigger speedlights but metering with my Sekonic.

The second PW offer me a TT5 type trigger with a built in AC3 capability I'll be a very happy bunny. The speed PW do things, I can't see that happening very soon.

Aug 25, 2016 at 02:53 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Just ditch all of your flashes for Godox or Yongnuo equivalents. All-in-one solution, easy to use, no futzing around with different receivers and transmitters and adapters and such. Much cheaper, and often more reliable than the first party solutions.

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:08 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

mikethevilla wrote:
Just ditch all of your flashes for Godox or Yongnuo equivalents. All-in-one solution, easy to use, no futzing around with different receivers and transmitters and adapters and such. Much cheaper, and often more reliable than the first party solutions.

This. I ditched the expensive temperamental PW system and overpriced dated nikon flashes for godox and have never looked back.

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:27 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

My trial Godox stuff is working better than my PW ControlTL units did.

Aug 25, 2016 at 07:45 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

I rather see a trigger that will ettl no matter which flash is attach that will work ettl from camera. Now they are hit and miss. Qflash will not work with proper cables. Neither will other flashes. Also a radio that will allow me to use with Elinchrom quadra Kit in place of Elinchrom s wireless trigger. I can use both the Elinchrom radio to set the power then the ettl mode to trigger the light at the correct time. Like pw Ittl it requires training to work were as the pw radios need a dump between settings changes.

Personally I like the tt1zone controller setup on camera not as heavy as speedlite I have two tt1and zone controllers one for each body or a backup in case it's needed. I have five tt5s IIRC more than enought for a main and backup camera and the lights used with std pw radios for non Ittl use. Being able to have zone a on auto zone b on manual and zone c off is great or any combo in between. And changing everything from the camera is awesome.

Aug 26, 2016 at 12:05 AM
kfbagt
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Phottix Mitros+ flashes with Odin2 transceiver will do everything you have mentioned. unless I am missing something. I have this setup and, while I am a newb, it seems to work flawlessly. you can make zoom and power adjustments from the trasnceiver on flashes independently, or use some flashes in i-TTL mode. It seems to be very nice.... but not cheap.

Oct 17, 2016 at 04:07 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

For speedlights I'm now using the Godox TT865 system.

I've got the Godox X1-c receivers for my Canon 580's and a transmitter or two as they're all so cheap anyway.

So far very reliable and excellent range. Easy to use and set quickly. The LCDs could be a little clearer on the speedlights but I could blame that on my need for reading glasses, but feel the green / red backlight doesn't help.

But using the system in anger at a recent event had me smiling and loving them.

Oct 18, 2016 at 02:12 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Two ways get an ac3 zone controller or use your master speedlight and set each speedlites to a different group you can have up to four the way I do it. Group a is master, group b is fill light, group c is the accent light and group d using a pwiii in manual for background since you will not need to change its power once set.

Oct 18, 2016 at 07:02 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Remote speedlights and on camera control...

Back to the OP, what camera are you shooting with? I use the PC-sync output from my D800s to trigger my remote OCF and sometimes have a TTL flash on camera for bounce. This eliminates the need for pass through. My Cactus V6s have the pass-through, but having a big speedlight on top of the transceiver on top of the camera is a recipe for disaster. The male and female hotshoes are definitely not strong enough to do that regularly.

leethecam wrote:
For speedlights I'm now using the Godox TT865 system.

I've got the Godox X1-c receivers for my Canon 580's and a transmitter or two as they're all so cheap anyway.

So far very reliable and excellent range. Easy to use and set quickly. The LCDs could be a little clearer on the speedlights but I could blame that on my need for reading glasses, but feel the green / red backlight doesn't help.

But using the system in anger at a recent event had me smiling and loving them.

How is the X1 for useage? How many buttons do you have to press to change power levels or zoom?

Oct 18, 2016 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.