Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · T&I mailers advice

Chad Bassman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · T&I mailers advice

Hello - FM'ers... as we patiently wait for Paul and Frank's LLWS pictures I have a question for you about mailing your T&I prints. What do you use? Do you calculate the shipping and print labels at home or take to the PO etc?

I just secured a contract for a 2,000 athlete soccer league and will be taking their T&I 2x/year for at least the next 3 years

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Chad

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:17 AM
jim2312
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · T&I mailers advice

Chad,

I have an order form that has a removable label so the customer actually fills out the mailing label, this also includes my return address. My process is pack (Stayflat rigid mailers), peel, stick, weigh, stamp (Dymo Postage service), mail.

Simple, convenient, and no lines at the post office to wait in or more like create with the volume I do.

Jim

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:27 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · T&I mailers advice

Why mail? Why can't you drop them off at the fieldhouse/clubhouse/pitches and have them properly distributed to the coaches?

T&I is more than just photos, there are some service aspects as well.

John

Aug 23, 2016 at 06:44 PM
jim2312
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · T&I mailers advice

John,

I agree "there are some service aspects as well' BUT the leagues I work with don't want anything to do with distributing photos so by mailing directly to the customer/player it is a HUGE service to the league. In addition I don't want to rely on the league to distribute them as there are far too many handoffs that need to happen, clubhouse/Fieldhouse/contact needs to get them to the coach, or the coach needs to pick them up, then be careful with these and hopefully hand them out to the parents. My experience, 100% of the time, coaches and leagues don't want to deal with this.

I also get the US mailing address of each coach and mail out order forms as well. This way they get them before photo day, in my eye another service for the league as they don't need to run around and find each coach, nor does the coach need to go to a shack to pick them up which may not happen.

So I guess if the league wants to deliver the photos to the coach then to the players that is a service to them. I have yet to come across a league that wants me to do this or is not relieved when I tell them that is my process.

Jim

Aug 24, 2016 at 06:06 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · T&I mailers advice

Thanks Jim - good to know... I'm thinking of doing something similar and it's reassuring to hear that you are like minded.

Aug 24, 2016 at 09:26 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · T&I mailers advice

John - I'd love to just drop them off and do with smaller leagues but as Jim pointed out mailing them to the individuals is a huge service that is expected in most T&I work around here... main problem is making sure they arrive timely and not bent.

Thanks,
Chad

Aug 24, 2016 at 09:28 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · T&I mailers advice

How much do you charge for shipping? This size league would be $5-10 for each subject for shipping... My clients distribute the photos, yes they've lost entire teams on occasion... I have an agreement with a local pizza restaurant to host a fund raiser/ photo pass out. That way the league make money and normally 50% plus pick up their photos. The rest get delivered to the team of the coach picks them up at the fund raiser.... Any leftover I give to the restaurant to put in the pizza oven.... (just kidding)

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Chad Bassman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · T&I mailers advice

Ralph - I charge $3 for shipping which might not be quite enough but I think my hard costs will be somewhere close to that I'm guessing $1 for a mailer and $2 for shipping? How do you figure your $5-$10?

Thanks for the responses thus far everyone,
Chad

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · T&I mailers advice

Chad Bassman wrote:
Ralph - I charge $3 for shipping which might not be quite enough but I think my hard costs will be somewhere close to that I'm guessing $1 for a mailer and $2 for shipping? How do you figure your $5-$10?

Thanks for the responses thus far everyone,
Chad

Anytime I mail to my clients, it's a dropship from Bay photo. Their charge is anywhere from $3.95 to $10.00. They ship USPS or FedEx ground depending on the size of the order. Figuring they bet a bulk discount.... They also do all the packing etc, doesn't take any time on my part.

I have a small (8-10K subjects yearly) T&I business, mailing to the parents seems to be a huge undertaking. I'm happy for you that it works for you; at the same time, I'm really happy it doesn't fit in my business model.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:43 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.