New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D5 vs D4s

boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5 vs D4s

anyone shoot both the d4s and d5?? is the d5 worth the $2k difference(used d4s vs new d5)?? I am using D750s and wondering if the D5 is going to make that big of a difference to me. I shoot events, weddings and portraits. tia

Aug 23, 2016 at 05:14 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5 vs D4s

What limitations are you running into with the D750? That will determine where you should go.

The D5 will have improved AF over the D750 and improved high ISO, but will have low ISO IQ inferior to the D750

The D4s's AF will be closer in performance to the D750, and will lag the D5 in high ISO performance, but will deliver low ISO performance closer to the D750 (but still a little behind it).

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:55 AM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5 vs D4s

Rent them & see if you notice an improvement in your work. I think if your shooting high ISO shots and you're missing shots because of the buffer size of the d750, then the d5 is worth the money. Another consideration since this appears to be a business decision is to look at how long it's going to take you to make a return on your investment.

Edited on Aug 23, 2016 at 09:48 AM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2016 at 09:42 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5 vs D4s

yes the D5 is somewhat improved. mostly in the AF category. the high ISO differences are somewhat minimal. I shot with the D4s since it came out. now working with the D500 for now. if I do go back to the D5 it will be an s version.

I do suggest if you are not reliant on it for your income think carefully.

learning how to control the camera is of course paramount. most "failures" are due to lack of control.

Aug 23, 2016 at 09:46 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5 vs D4s

mawz wrote:
What limitations are you running into with the D750? That will determine where you should go...

Yup.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:16 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D5 vs D4s

I have a D4s and D5. Weddings and portraits, no it's not worth upgrading. Events, it depends on what kind of events. If you're shooting in poor mixed lighting with low contrast fast moving subjects, then yes the improved AF and better high ISO performance is worth the upgrade. The high ISO differences are notable. The noise is a bit less, but also has a different feel than the D4s and thus needs to be processed a bit differently. The DR increase at those higher ISO is much more visibly noticeable than any chart numbers will show. These difference are much more noticeable if you shoot your events jpg straight out of the camera. RAW files I find need a bit more and different finessing than the D4s RAW files, but they ultimately also turn out better.

Erich

Aug 23, 2016 at 01:10 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D5 vs D4s

sjms wrote:
yes the D5 is somewhat improved. mostly in the AF category. the high ISO differences are somewhat minimal. I shot with the D4s since it came out. now working with the D500 for now. if I do go back to the D5 it will be an s version.

I do suggest if you are not reliant on it for your income think carefully.

learning how to control the camera is of course paramount. most "failures" are due to lack of control.

OT, but that red McLaren swoosh reminds me of something. Can't quite think what…

C

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:24 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D5 vs D4s

If you can justify in use, all needs for the acquisition, such as the weather sealing, small increase in ISO, FPS, AF between the D4s vs. D5, AND, see the value in the 2K..

But comparisons between a D750 and the above are just moot at best. It's a cat & dog story.

ADVICE: Go D4s used and just shoot.

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:36 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D5 vs D4s

I agree with ELinder. The D5 is a further specialization of a specialized sports/action camera series (D3/D3s/D4/D4s). The D5 has the low ISO DR of a D3s and an extra 1/2 stop of Highest ISO performance over the D4/D4s.

It also has 12 instead of 11 fps and more AF sensor coverage in portrait. Faster AF and lower light AF. The extra 4mP and higher-in-the-frame AF boxes mean substantially more "crop ability" for my work. However, most of this means little for a Wedding Photographer and everything for what I do.

You could even drop down to a D4. But remember these gripped cameras are heavy. To carry two of them for all day is beyond many shooters.

Aug 23, 2016 at 05:45 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D5 vs D4s

For events, the D5 killer feature is AF. It and DX sibling D500 have the Multi-CAM 20K which moves AF performance and intelligence to the next level. Set auto-area/3D mode, and the camera just about reads your mind regarding the intended subject. I was shooting a wedding this weekend with D500/D7100 combo, and the AF difference is palpable. The D7100—like the D4s, D7100, D750, D3X—uses Multi-CAM 3500 which offers excellent AF capability, but is an aging iteration. Even though I shot entirely at ISO 100, the D3X stayed home.

Aug 23, 2016 at 07:37 PM
mongoose777
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D5 vs D4s

I have a D5, -2- D4s, D3s ,D500 & 810 that I use for several different types of events that I shoot.
I love the D5 for fast moving sporting events like baseball, football and hockey that I cover.
I still use the D4s as its a very capable and great camera for almost any types of shooting.
I would never use my D5 for studio work or for just a walk around camera, but there is nothing like it for the fast accurate focusing it provides and the high ISO is simply awesome even over the D4s.
I feel I need the D5 because it allows me to take advantage of the newest performance enhancements for my paying clients.
I personally recommend that you find a good used D4s for around $3500 to $4k and save the difference to buy a great lens.
You will not be disappointed with the D4s.

Aug 24, 2016 at 12:56 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D5 vs D4s

I agree with mongoose777 and the other responses. I have a D5, D4s, D810, D750 and D500. The D5 & D4s are very similar with the improvements mainly in the focusing system. Its a camera made for the 400/2.8 etc. where it blows me away.

I'm not sure I'd go with a D5/D4s for weddings, certainly would work but as stated by others, these bodies are primarily for action/speed/etc. Built like tanks and made for those outside conditions that might kill a lessor body. Much of the extra cost I'd guess is making it bullet proof as possible.

Rent a D810 and see if that works better than your D750. If you have the $ in your budget you don't have to justify buying any body however the D5 has almost nothing in common with the D750 other than the Nikon badge.
And I like my D750.

Gerard

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:23 AM
Eric_M_Klein
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D5 vs D4s

Some clients associate the quality of the photographer with the quality of his/her camera. These are premium label buyers. The own luxury cars, take luxury vacations, and live in expensive neighborhoods. These buyers would overlook a photographer because he did not have the most up to date high end gear. There have been many weddings shot with a D700/D3/D3s that look a beautiful as one shot with a D750/D4/D4s/D5. From a business standpoint, the question is: Is it important for your business to target a buyer who wants his photographer to shoot with a couple of D5's?
If this is not your target market, Nikon considers the D750 to be the wedding photographers camera of choice. Buy 3 there cheaper than the D5.

Aug 24, 2016 at 08:26 PM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D5 vs D4s

Some clients occasionally ask me what I shoot with. To be honest, its a silly question. If they like the photos it shouldn't matter, even if I shoot with something super crappy like a Sony or Canon. :P. But how many would even know what the upper end models are, or what advantages they really have? I bet there are lots of uneducated clients who see the "newest and greatest" release such as the D3400 and think it must be one of the best cameras. Years ago I think I lost a potential bride because I told her my Nikon's only shot one file size when shooting raw files. She was familiar with Canon and sRaw (which I was not familiar with at the time).

While a lot of wedding photographers may use the D750 (and I have one as well), I still prefer the pro style bodies for many reasons. I've been using two D4s (not the D4S) for a years now. I think both are great values especially used. I'd love to try the D5 and I hope to upgrade someday, but I'll wait till my D4 bites the dust or the D5 comes down in price.

From the ergonomics, the buffer, it doesn't have problems with triggers such as the profoto air, file sizes, and most importantly....I still think the files/photos just look better from the D4 most cases. The original question from OP is the price jump from the D4s to the D5 worth it. That just depends on how much a couple of grand is worth to you.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:55 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D5 vs D4s

I've been shooting weddings with two of my D3s bodies for a few years now.
I can't imagine why I would need to upgrade to a D5, D4s or even D4!
I've tried the D4s last year and man what a disappointment it was IN RELATIONSHIP to my D3s.
I say in relationship because at that time, my D4s vs D3s had a price difference of some whooping 3-3.5k. I couldn't justify keeping it so I bought another D3s and spend cash on some glass.

Not one client, over the past 6 years of shooting, NOT ONE, complained about the count of pixels.
Maybe because most of my [amateur] clients wouldn't print bigger than 24x36

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D5 vs D4s

Yes D3s is good if you don't need to crop but when you begin to crop it begins to suffer quickly. I too shot weddings with two D3s bodies and they were great. For sports situations where I can't quite get the reach I need it becomes mediocre. Maybe for weddings the D4s doesn't shine in comparison but I have found it to be a good improvement over the D3s. The D500 (and I assume the D5) AF blows them both away for acquisition though.

Aug 26, 2016 at 03:50 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D5 vs D4s

Me again. I just shot my usual event (live Flamenco in performance and dim stage lighting) and my D5 would not achieve critical focus. So I only used the D4s. I could tell the difference while shooting and in PP.

I turned in my D5 for warrantee repair and my second D5 arrives today. Later this month I have two challenging shoots in one day. Really want to shoot the D5 instead of the D4s. Of course YMMV.

Sep 02, 2016 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.