Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Getting a used einstein for freezing action or what alternatives do i ha...

teigas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting a used einstein for freezing action or what alternatives do i have?

Hope somebody could play some ball with me her if this is right or not right, and things to think about.

I do own two Elinchrom BX 500watts studio flashes, and two Nikon Sb900 speedlights.

The elinchrom flashes do not have any good freezing flash duration, the Sb900 are better, but dont trow so much light.

I shoot dancers for fun perhaps 2-3 times a year and somthines experiment with flash duration.
When I have done this i have borrowed a friends Einstein 640, and that worked really well.

He is now going to sell the kit and offered me to buy it cheaper than the used price he is going to ask.
I have some concerns because i have heard rumors that they break really easy? I live in Norway so to get it repaired I probably have to ship it to the US.

1. So my first question is does anybody have any experience with the einstein and the durability ?

2. If i should buy somthing else that can freeze dancer, that does not break the bank what are my alternatives? Profoto i think will be to expensive for that limited use..Saw godox had some kits? But could not find list over t0.1 and t5 durations?

3. Brining in an SB900 or an elinchrome flash for fill light , will that **** it up if i use the einstein on higher power to freeze ?

4. I have attached the complete list of what i get for the price below.
Total sum of new pricee is 1195 dollars in the US, if i where to buy it from the us now, i also would have to pay 25% tax on iit. The used friend price is 424 dollars.

I know its kind of stupid to buy somthing for a really limited use, and only one unit, but I think I might get more in to experimenting with other freezing projects if i buy it.

The price i think is really good, i get all this:
Paul C buff Einstein™ E640 Flash Unit $499.95
Vagabond Mini™ Lithium (120VAC model) $239.95
3-foot heavy-duty light stand $69.95
47" foldable octabox $169.95
10" x 36" foldable stripbox $119.95
foldable stripbox grid 29.95
8.5-inch High Output Reflector $19.95
5º honeycomb grid for the 8.5-inch reflector$24.95
30º honeycomb grid for the 8.5-inch reflector $19.95

Total sum of 1195 dollars for the used special price of 424 dollars.

Aug 23, 2016 at 03:04 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting a used einstein for freezing action or what alternatives do i have?

Bowen Gemini 500Pro which at full power T.5 is 1/2900. The flash duration gets longer at lower power setting though so it depends on how much power you’ll be using for you pictures. They are very solid and picked affordably. UK company.

The other options are the Godox QT-600 and 1200 which have IGBT like the Einsteins giving T.1 from 1/500 (full power) down to 1/5400 (minimum power). These are also sold as Lencarta in the UK.

Aug 23, 2016 at 04:11 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting a used einstein for freezing action or what alternatives do i have?

You left out one major factor and that is what f/stop you want to shoot at. If you are looking for any depth of field at all you'll want to strobe that will give its shorter flash duration at its higher power settings. You are not going to do very well with dancers if you have to shoot wide open.

Since you already own Elnichrom and probably some of their modifiers, I would suggest a new or used Ranger Quadra RX + A head. On the B channel you will get a 132 watt seconds at 1/5700. That's a lot more power than an IGBT circuit will give you. And you can mix your speedlights with it. Add an Elinchrom Maxilite reflector and you'll have plenty of power plus fast recycle times that you'll want for dance.

Aug 23, 2016 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.