Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

jerseymike

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

Greetings,

Hoping someone could provide me some advice on what if anything I could do with my New York Yankees MLB shots. My season tickets provide me a great angle that most of the professionals can't get. They are typically shooting from the 3'rd base line or other designated photo banks. My seats are directly above the Yankees dugout and therefore I have a great angle at home plate as well as the trip back to the dugout.

I am by no means a professional but last weekend at a game I was able to capture the first Major League at bat for 2 of the Yankees supposed future stars. Those at bats resulted in back to back HR's and I captured it all. It led me to thinking that someone may be interested in these type shots due to the uniqueness of the angle. I am attaching a shot that is probably the worst of the batch from last weekend as an example.

I am sitting on the the other shots of the swings and celebration at home plate etc. Just wondering if there is somewhere or something I could do with my shots as I think it would be great to be compensated and or just see my pics used somewhere. Right now the team isn't all that good but should that change in the future I will have many more opportunities to capture some big moments. Thanks in advance.

First Ever MLB Homerun - Aaron Judge

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:55 PM
jerseymike

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

FYI - I had to resize the image using some app so it doesn't look too sharp but most of the the pics are sharp.

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:58 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

Based on your speculation, the first thing I would do is submit the set for copyright registration, and separately watermark anytime you post them.

You aren't really allowed to sell these images as noncoommetcial use / 'art' due to trademark and 'rights to likeness' except to media outlets who can use them for journalism fair use. So media, the teams PR group, or even Players'agent would be leads to pursue for sales.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:03 PM
jerseymike

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

Thank you for the reply. Those are the outlets I had in mind. I would love to see the images used by the team or player. After all, I am a fan and I take the pictures as a fan. I just wasn't sure where to go or how to go about it. I want to try and get a contact so that the next time I capture a big moment I have somewhere or someone I can get it to right away to be used why the topic is still hot.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:17 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

This will give you a good start. Google is your friend. You can also search for their Agents.
https://www.google.com/search?num=30&safe=off&client=tablet-android-samsung&q=NY+Yankees+VP+pr+communications&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiv2Jm3yNbOAhVTwWMKHUjPCvkQvwUIFygA&biw=800&bih=1280

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:13 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

Read the fine print on the back of your ticket. It probably includes language that specifically prohibits the sale.

Other commercial use and even non-commercial use could draw the ire of the team and or league, possibly jeapodizing your ticket status.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2002-08-20-online-copyrights_x.htm

I'd suggest taking all the images you want and sharing them with family and friends.

I'm guessing at a game with the Yankees playing, you'd have some mighty fine photographers there capturing the images from a multitude of angles and maybe even some remote cameras you don't see that are capturing very similar images to yours. And these guys are already set up with their respective clients to market and sell the images. Also, I'd think that as soon as you start trying to market your images commercially, you will have crossed the line from being a fan to being a professional photographer and the club probably won't be happy with your for using your non-commercial use ticket for commercial use.

Aug 23, 2016 at 07:49 AM
jerseymike

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

Thanks Tim thats good advice. I guess I should just stick to being a fan and hoarding my shots lol. However, I will be printing them out for the players to sign for my man cave.

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:05 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

I'm surprised an usher didn't politely ask you to stop taking photos...

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:52 AM
jerseymike

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

I think they know better than to do that. The day they tell me to put the camera away is the day I tell them they can look for someone else to buy their overpriced season tickets. 1/2 my section is often empty. However, In fairness to the Yankees their staff and camera policies are the best in the tri state area. I also have season tickets to the NY Giants are they won't allow anything over 6" lens in the building. The NHL and NBA ( Knicks & Rangers) all depends on the mood.

Game Changer wrote:
I'm surprised an usher didn't politely ask you to stop taking photos...

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:16 AM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

The Yankees - as do many teams -- have a chief photographer who deals with all issues related to images. Any inquiry you make will be forwarded to her. If you feel strongly that there is a market for your work you may want to reach out. Understand that it is her job to make pictures for the team so not sure you will find a receptive buyer or one who wants to encourage fan photography. But I could be wrong and there is no harm in trying.

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:26 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice needed: What to do with my MLB shots

You'll find the business to be harsh. You may have the better angle and even sometimes the better shot but also understand that the business is not about any of that. It's more about writing the caption and transmitting quickly enough to be the FIRST to get the image out there. Print isn't dying but it's on life support. Social media, online pubs are king. The fact that you asking more than a week later doesnt help. The story is done and over. The window was in that first 30 minutes. It's about deadlines unfortunately. The only last option are after press opportunities. SI used to feature stuff like this in their leading off section but even that is a long shot these days.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:21 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.