Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Bryan Chong

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

This photo is one of those photos I can say I captured with luck on my side. Normally when I go out for landscape images, many times the sky isn't colorful and plain. As I started the short hike towards Tamanawas Falls, the sky was clear blue in the middle of the day. Usually when you shoot waterfalls you want that overcast clouded sky for softer lighting. Well when I arrived at the falls the light was harsh and bright, there was no opportunity for an amazing photograph. I sat on a log just watching the hikers and waterfall when suddenly patches of clouds started to roll over and block out the sun. The overcast sky only lasted for about 2 minutes then would clear then it would cover up again. Thankfully I was able to capture this shot with I love the mist and color in the water.

Tamanawas Falls
Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Welcome to FM Bryan! You've got some nice soft light, and the colors are rich without pushing it too far. If you're open to critique, there are two minor distractors that keep my eye from flowing over the image. The cut off rock along the bottom, and the lighter horizontal branch cutting in from the left draw my eye a bit more than they probably should.

Tim

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:10 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Beautiful image. I really like the shadows and spray around the falls, and the water looks wonderful everywhere in the image. I think Tim made some good suggestions. The rock at the bottom does not bother me as much as the sharp stick coming in on the left. Nice work.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:06 PM
bill s
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Gorgeous! Your patience paid off giving you this awesome capture.

Aug 23, 2016 at 02:43 AM
Jim Dockery
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Very nice. Agree on the stick, but not a big deal. Love the mist to the right of the falls.

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:14 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamanawas Falls, Mt. Hood National Forest

Hey Bryan,

Your patience paid off here. That is a cool looking waterfall with some nice run off. Even though it had clouded over, the sky above the waterfall is still too hot. It can really be hard to avoid on some waterfall. My suggestion is to go tighter. Crop below the top, just get the straight fall of the water. By cropping this you can also lose that bright log that is poking in on the left side that Dale mentions.

Jim

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.