FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

You just can't make this stuff up.

I'm at a wedding reception last night and had just set up an umbrella shot with my 2nd shooter. We discussed the angle of lighting to best light the couple off the umbrella. Once we have it locked in, I go and get the bride and groom.

As we're walking out, I check the time on my phone as I know my 2nd photog's time is coming to an end. My phone is always on silent at a wedding as I don't take calls. But as I look at the phone, I see a call is coming in from the area and that's unusual since it's 9:18 pm on a Saturday. I decide to take the call.

It's the police department and over the noise of the reception, I can hear that there was something to do with an emergency. I immediately think of my family at home, concerned that something happened.

No, that's not it, the female voice told me. We just got an emergency call from this number. I immediately apologized as my phone tends to make some pocket dials. I had accidentally called 9-1-1. She then asked weird questions.

"Are you at a shooting range?" No, I said. I'm a wedding photographer, I'm at a reception at Eagle Brook Country Club.

"Well, we heard you talking about shooting and angles.." she said.

Oh my god! In today's world, that's pretty serious stuff! Fortunately I was able to convince her that I was just doing a photo shoot and had to discuss the angles of lighting.

The bride and groom heard my end of the conversation and were totally amused by it, and joked about how memorable their reception would have been if the SWAT team had shown up. One of those things that are funny but not funny all at the same time.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:05 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

Being the way things are today i'm surprised they didn't just show up in full battle gear.
They must have heard enough of the conversation or background noise to know you weren't up to no good.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

Glad you didn't tell your second that you'd pull out your canon, put it in rapid fire mode and shoot the heck out of it in machine-gun-mode

Aug 22, 2016 at 03:15 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

Oh my God, best thread to read in a while !

Any chance you handed a business card to a marrying female member of the SWAT ? 😀

Aug 22, 2016 at 03:33 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

I've read about a photog who was doing a shoot in a city apartment at night. The police got called because apparently someone reported gunfire(!?) It turned out that the flashes made some member of the public think someone was shooting a gun.

Aug 22, 2016 at 04:52 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

wow!

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:53 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

As a former 911 dispatcher, I can say this: you hear a lot of strange things from people accidentally pocket-dialing with the phone's emergency dial feature.

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:58 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

friscoron wrote:
You just can't make this stuff up.

I'm at a wedding reception last night and had just set up an umbrella shot with my 2nd shooter. We discussed the angle of lighting to best light the couple off the umbrella. Once we have it locked in, I go and get the bride and groom.

As we're walking out, I check the time on my phone as I know my 2nd photog's time is coming to an end. My phone is always on silent at a wedding as I don't take calls. But as I look at the phone, I see a call
...Show more

Move along folks. Nothing surprising here. I was pretty sure Ron was trouble after our third or fourth PM.

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:07 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

I have a friend named, Jack. Whenever I run into him at an airport, the last thing I ever say is, "Hi Jack"

Aug 22, 2016 at 08:43 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

evertdoorn wrote:
Glad you didn't tell your second that you'd pull out your canon, put it in rapid fire mode and shoot the heck out of it in machine-gun-mode

Ha! That's great! Thankfully, I shoot Nikon.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:19 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

jmraso wrote:
Oh my God, best thread to read in a while !

Any chance you handed a business card to a marrying female member of the SWAT ? 😀

They didn't actually send them, but I think they had them ready when they got a 9-1-1 call and could hear some schmuck talking about planning a shoot, what angles to best hit my subjects.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:21 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

nolaguy wrote:
Move along folks. Nothing surprising here. I was pretty sure Ron was trouble after our third or fourth PM.

Oh, I'm definitely trouble. But usually not enough to get the SWAT team involved.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:23 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

So, you haven't figured out how to prevent butt dialing 911?

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:25 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

jecottrell wrote:
So, you haven't figured out how to prevent butt dialing 911?

Never happened before. I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy this year and it's been like learning a whole new language. So no, I haven't figured that out yet.

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:11 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

friscoron wrote:
Never happened before. I switched from an iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy this year and it's been like learning a whole new language. So no, I haven't figured that out yet.

I took this to mean that you'd experienced the problem previously:

friscoron wrote:
I immediately apologized as my phone tends to make some pocket dials.

Use a lock screen and remove the phone icon from the lock screen in Settings/Lock Screen and security/Info and app shortcuts.

If you need help figuring it out or finding a way to make it work within your preferred way of using the phone, let me know.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:34 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

My phone accidentally dialed 911 while in my pocket during a bday party once and at a wedding once. Since then I've kept my phone in my shoulder bag.

Aug 24, 2016 at 05:11 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

When I discussion 2nd shooting at my day job... I always get weird looks.
I forget about the lingo sometimes ... To say 'I was shooting a wedding party,' can sound a little off if you don't hear the entire conversation or don't know that I shoot weddings as a photographer.

OTOH.... never understood sliding the cell phone in the back pocket when out and about.
to much can go wrong.
maybe that is just me.

-Mark

Aug 24, 2016 at 05:19 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

The old photographer's line when someone asks what they do:

"I shoot people, for money. Mostly I do this at parties and family events, where my clients have hired me to shoot everyone, so I always have a second shooter, just to handle the volume. It can be tough to get everyone, because people tend to move pretty fast."

Aug 25, 2016 at 01:24 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

haha...so awesome.

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:57 AM
spacecowboy863
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · SWAT team almost raided wedding reception because of me

lol....good story to tell about that butt dial ordeal

Sep 13, 2016 at 01:51 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.