New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · RR Bridge and line

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RR Bridge and line

Still in use - city is trying to get schedule altered so as not to disrupt traffic...ideally reroute line but that is likely prohibitively expensive and a political powder keg. Interesting the bridge appears to be held together by rather large horizontal pins allowing the rail-bed and super-structure to flex with the weight of the train.

Bob

Looking northeast across Savannah River through gap in levee.

6th Street, looking west

Edited on Aug 26, 2016 at 08:57 AM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2016 at 05:11 PM
santos
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RR Bridge and line

A fine series. I like the tonal quality of the BW throughout the set, and the textures and abstraction of the first. Your narrative reminds me of Trevor Ferguson's 'The River Burns'.

santiago

Aug 22, 2016 at 05:23 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RR Bridge and line

I like #3 the best with all the lines. I notice when I zoom in on just the bridge and tracks on #3 I see many possibilities too. Looks like a great spot to play.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:03 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RR Bridge and line

santos wrote:
A fine series. I like the tonal quality of the BW throughout the set, and the textures and abstraction of the first. Your narrative reminds me of Trevor Ferguson's 'The River Burns'.

santiago

---------------------------------------------

DaleBerlin wrote:
I like #3 the best with all the lines. I notice when I zoom in on just the bridge and tracks on #3 I see many possibilities too. Looks like a great spot to play.

Thank you Santiago and Dale,

Started with focus on hinge/connections but grew to add context.

Glad you enjoy the images. Don't know there is any solution to the rail issue - sparingly used line to haul coal to power plants up river and wood-chips to mills or eventually port in Savannah for export (second largest East coast port, 5th largest in US for container tonnage).

Dale - area is heavily posted, and several shops on the other side of the levee - need to have a look at what is accessible without a trip downtown.

Bob

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:57 AM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RR Bridge and line

Great series of images Bob. Judging by the first shot, the bridge needs at least a very good paint job. Good subject for photography and in my opinion you have got some stellar pictures.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:51 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RR Bridge and line

lazlo369 wrote:
Great series of images Bob. Judging by the first shot, the bridge needs at least a very good paint job. Good subject for photography and in my opinion you have got some stellar pictures.

Thank you Lazlo,

Paint yes, but first a good sand-blasting! Within probably 1/2 mile distance there are 3 bridges crossing the river, each could stand being refreshed much like the bridge/highway infrastructure across the US.

I'm happy you enjoyed the set, may try to get back tomorrow - there used to be a Saturday afternoon train passing through there headed to the switching yards west-side of town. I need to call to learn the time, if even still active.

Best,

Bob

Aug 26, 2016 at 07:15 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RR Bridge and line

Terrific series sir. #4 is especially wonderful to my eye.

Aug 26, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RR Bridge and line

Jeff W. wrote:
Terrific series sir. #4 is especially wonderful to my eye.

Thanks Jeff,

Glad you enjoy #4, appreciate your commenting.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 27, 2016 at 04:10 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RR Bridge and line

Nice pic's.

I don't think I've ever seen a train track go down the middle of a street like that before unless it a street car track.

Aug 28, 2016 at 08:20 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RR Bridge and line

davidnholtjr wrote:
Nice pic's.

I don't think I've ever seen a train track go down the middle of a street like that before unless it a street car track.

Yup and that is one of the issues - two trains, one early morning, other later in day, crossing every main roadway in the downtown area.. I tried to find the schedule but not available.

Tracks down middle of street are symbolic of whole rail-traffic-ecosystem, with no viable solution in sight.

Thanks for your comment - perhaps I will capture the tracks in use one day

Bob

Aug 28, 2016 at 06:56 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RR Bridge and line

The bridge is what's called "link pin" construction. Tracks on the street is called "street running." There's a town in Kentucky that is famous for it, and two near Pittsburgh PA. I caught this one in Elizabethton.

https://flic.kr/p/BZ8sKJ

Where was your shot taken?

Kent in SD

Aug 31, 2016 at 09:26 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RR Bridge and line

Bob Jarman wrote:
I tried to find the schedule but not available.

Tracks down middle of street are symbolic of whole rail-traffic-ecosystem, with no viable solution in sight.

Freight trains do not have schedules. Most likely this one runs at night rather than cross busy streets in daytime.

Kent in SD

Aug 31, 2016 at 09:33 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RR Bridge and line

Two23 wrote:
The bridge is what's called "link pin" construction. Tracks on the street is called "street running." There's a town in Kentucky that is famous for it, and two near Pittsburgh PA. I caught this one in Elizabethton.

https://flic.kr/p/BZ8sKJ

Where was your shot taken?

Kent in SD

---------------------------------------------

Two23 wrote:
Freight trains do not have schedules. Most likely this one runs at night rather than cross busy streets in daytime.

Kent in SD

Thanks for the information Kent.

Location is Augusta, GA. I happened to find a video taken this past July...but I cannot seem to get the link to work without embedding the video.

Thank you again for adding to the discussion.

Bob

link

Finally - must "share"

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:01 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RR Bridge and line

The train in the video is hauling Ethanol (Haz Mat code 1987). We make a LOT of that around here. the train will be either going to or coming from a refinery, where the ethanol is mixed with gasoline. Follow the tracks and you'll find where it's going. These kinds of trains don't really have a set schedule, but I bet they run on specific days.

Kent in SD

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:48 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RR Bridge and line

Two23 wrote:
The train in the video is hauling Ethanol (Haz Mat code 1987). We make a LOT of that around here. the train will be either going to or coming from a refinery, where the ethanol is mixed with gasoline. Follow the tracks and you'll find where it's going. These kinds of trains don't really have a set schedule, but I bet they run on specific days.

Kent in SD

Thanks for the update - several chemical and paper plants down river.

Bob

Sep 02, 2016 at 08:05 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.