Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2016 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Iwas joeking
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

I've wanted to buy an M for some time, but every time I look closely at them I see too much lacking. They're just not quite there yet unless the limitations don't matter to your style of shooting.
There needs to be a better feature set and a few more dedicated M lenses. Having said that, at least they haven't painted themselves into a corner like Nikon has with their mirror less system. Canon just needs to ramp things up whereas Nikon appears to have given up on it. Too small a sensor anyway.
It's too bad Canon doesnt put a bit more effort into the line.

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:41 PM
VictorJB
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Did you guys hear the latest rumor? Canon is expected to release a new Canon M this year. It's rumored to go upmarket.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:52 PM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Iwas joeking wrote:
I've wanted to buy an M for some time, but every time I look closely at them I see too much lacking. They're just not quite there yet unless the limitations don't matter to your style of shooting.
There needs to be a better feature set and a few more dedicated M lenses. Having said that, at least they haven't painted themselves into a corner like Nikon has with their mirror less system. Canon just needs to ramp things up whereas Nikon appears to have given up on it. Too small a sensor anyway.
It's too bad Canon doesnt
...Show more

This is close to how I feel on the M3. It's a nice looking, capable camera that just isn't quite there yet. Maybe if the lens lineup was larger or if it had an EF-S mount instead of the EF-M mount. Maybe it's the lack of a built-in EVF or lack-luster AF.

Whatever the reason I find myself questioning the purchase every time I go to click on the Buy Button.

Thanks for all the input and while I do find the camera appealing, there's just too much doubt. And as a friend told me once, "when in doubt, don't." This isn't a must-have purchase so I can afford to wait a little while longer in hopes Canon puts that extra effort into the EOS-M lineup.

Aug 23, 2016 at 07:15 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

coppertop wrote:
This is close to how I feel on the M3. It's a nice looking, capable camera that just isn't quite there yet. Maybe if the lens lineup was larger or if it had an EF-S mount instead of the EF-M mount. Maybe it's the lack of a built-in EVF or lack-luster AF.

Whatever the reason I find myself questioning the purchase every time I go to click on the Buy Button.

Thanks for all the input and while I do find the camera appealing, there's just too much doubt. And as a friend told me once, "when in doubt, don't." This
...Show more

I agree with your conclusion - if you are not sure, don't do it.

But the lens line up is the best available small eg

Canon efs 17-55 ranks as 10 effective mpx on dxomark and this I would consider the gold standard

Whereas the efm11-22 is 10, and the 18-55 is an 8mpx, and 22/2 is 13. [these on m, m3 would be better by 20% or so]

On sony/a6000 10-18 is 8, 16-70 is 8mpx, and 24 is 13. But these lens are heavier than canon. And the a6000 has bigger mpx sensor than m. m3 is closer]

And you can use ef/s with adapter.[But why would you]

So my view is the lens line up is as good as you get for mirrorless.

Lens are not the reason no to choose this system - its the slow focus. The system is better than the sony6000 if you are primarly concerned with size and resolution.

Aug 23, 2016 at 09:16 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Scott Stoness wrote:
So my view is the lens line up is as good as you get for mirrorless.

Lens are not the reason no to choose this system - its the slow focus. The system is better than the sony6000 if you are primarly concerned with size and resolution.

Not only slow focus, but a miserable camera to use. With very few customizable buttons and no built-in viewfinder, the shooting experience is dreadful...just like using an iphone. Having used one for a week, it just did not work for me. Talk about unusable UI...this takes the cake.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:45 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

I just recently went back to an original M, traded the SL1 for it. I like the images and video from it, and i love the 22mm. The AF is terrible, but for a lot of casual use it's just fine.

Aug 23, 2016 at 08:23 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

The EF-M 22 is such a stellar optic...

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:46 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

You asked about a EF-S 28mm. Take a look at the pancake EF-S 24mm f2.8 lens, mine is stellar on my 7DII. And it says Macro on the lens barrel.

Aug 24, 2016 at 03:26 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

shutterbug guy wrote:
You asked about a EF-S 28mm. Take a look at the pancake EF-S 24mm f2.8 lens, mine is stellar on my 7DII. And it says Macro on the lens barrel.

The efm/22/2 is slightly better than the ef-s24/2.8 and its f2. If you have an m, the 22 has better iq, does not require an adapter, and very compact.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=814&Camera=812&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=960&CameraComp=736&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Aug 24, 2016 at 07:45 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

shutterbug guy wrote:

I have the 28mm Pancake. Nice lens and while it does have a short working distance, the only thing missing is the 1:1 ratio of a macro lens.

What caught my eye with the 28mm EF-M lens was the built in ring light. Canon needs to try that feature out on a 40mm macro lens with an EF-S mount.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:01 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

coppertop wrote:
I know the M3's AF is lacking but everything else seems fine. If Canon would release a EF-S version of the 28mm that would be the best option, but am I crazy for wanting the EOS M3 simply to get the 28mm EOS-M Macro?

The M5 might be on soon:

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-m5-coming-before-photokina-cr3/

Sep 01, 2016 at 06:16 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

artificialyello wrote:
The M5 might be on soon:

http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-m5-coming-before-photokina-cr3/

Interesting - however the m3 sensor is likely a better sensor for mirror less m series than the 80d sensor. It does most things better but iso 100. I don't think anyone is buying the m series exclusively for on the tripod landscape shots.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Canon-EOS-M3___1076_1019

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:49 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Scott Stoness wrote:
I don't think anyone is buying the m series exclusively for on the tripod landscape shots.

Not specifically landscapes no, but my 3 M's are always tripod or boom mounted because they are effectively lightweight live-view only dslr's with decent low ISO image quality with I can trigger from a wireless remote. I find them rather hopeless to handhold.

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:59 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Scott Stoness wrote:
Interesting - however the m3 sensor is likely a better sensor for mirror less m series than the 80d sensor. It does most things better but iso 100. I don't think anyone is buying the m series exclusively for on the tripod landscape shots.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Canon-EOS-M3___1076_1019

Well, one might as well bring in the much acclaimed 16MP Fujifilm sensor and note that both the Canons are doing better. Just click the "Measurements" tab and then "SNR18%" or "Dynamic Range". It's the same sensor in all the 16MP Fujis, IIRC...

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Canon-EOS-M3-versus-Fujifilm-FinePix-X100___1076_1019_695

Sep 01, 2016 at 08:46 AM
PicGuy
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

If you can live with horribly slow auto focus, slow fps for shooting and terribly slow bracket shooting then you will find it acceptable. I have an M3 and while I love the handling and IQ, it is painfully frustrating to use for shooting anything moving. Even if it is moving relatively slow.

Sep 04, 2016 at 01:36 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

PicGuy wrote:
If you can live with horribly slow auto focus, slow fps for shooting and terribly slow bracket shooting then you will find it acceptable. I have an M3 and while I love the handling and IQ, it is painfully frustrating to use for shooting anything moving. Even if it is moving relatively slow.

Well, I think that slow AF have ben the main complaint with the EOS-M among the photogs that have actually used for an extended period of time. It's not aimed towards sports or BIF for sure...

Sep 04, 2016 at 07:28 AM
PicGuy
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

artificialyello wrote:
Well, I think that slow AF have ben the main complaint with the EOS-M among the photogs that have actually used for an extended period of time. It's not aimed towards sports or BIF for sure...

It goes beyond sports or BIF. People walking toward or away from the camera, kids moving relatively slow, etc. are too much for it. It has another problem in that the time between focus lock and shutter release is way too long. It results in a lot of missed focus shots unless the subject is moving within the plane of focus.

I am waiting until the end on September to see what Canon does with the M3 replacement. At that point I will probably get an 80D if they don't announce something decent.

Sep 05, 2016 at 07:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

The rumored specs of the M5 (80D sensor, totally new AF) make the purchase of an M3 even more laughable at this stage. If it has to be a Canon mirrorless well worth waiting as they may finally deliver a great camera in this segment. Hopefully with a few new lenses.

If it's got DPAF, good AF, can use my L glass via adapter, then I'd sell my Olympus E-M5 in a heartbeat.

Sep 05, 2016 at 09:14 PM
artificialyello
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The rumored specs of the M5 (80D sensor, totally new AF) make the purchase of an M3 even more laughable at this stage. If it has to be a Canon mirrorless well worth waiting as they may finally deliver a great camera in this segment. Hopefully with a few new lenses.

If it's got DPAF, good AF, can use my L glass via adapter, then I'd sell my Olympus E-M5 in a heartbeat.

Well, the M5 could be expected to cost almost the double of the M3. If the money matters and won't be less competent than it's been so far. M5 could however, turn out be a real cutie!

This surface today at the "mills":

http://www.cameraegg.org/sketches-of-canon-eos-m5-leaked/

http://www.cameraegg.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/eosm5sketch.jpg

Sep 06, 2016 at 08:23 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Am I crazy for wanting an EOS M3?

Isn't that basically the SL1?
How I hope Canon doesn't screw this one up....

Sep 06, 2016 at 08:51 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.