New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

The Q3 "T" version has a smaller panning base diameter, but is that base any different in terms of strength or smoothness than Emile? I'd like to use as a small head for non-tripod lenses alongside a full gimbal. The Q3T would fit a RRS dovetail 40 plate, which would be nice. Thanks.

EBH

Aug 20, 2016 at 05:49 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

the Q3i Traveler (Q3iT) has a 1.97"/50mm dia per the markins spec. that is the limit for the RRS DVTL 40 plate who's maximum usable diameter is stated to be 50mm in the specs.

ref: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TH-DVTL-40-Round-Dovetail-Plate

ref: http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/Q3T.php#Specifications

when I did play around with it the Traveler action was smooth and build was solid.

Aug 21, 2016 at 10:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

Thanks. That is the plan. I could also use the head later if I ever get a travel tripod.

For about 10 years I've been using the Sidekick, but after a couple of close calls and being exhausted from frequent swaps in the field, it's back to a full Gimbal type head when the majority of shooting is 200-400/4 or 500/4. The ball head is only needed for the smaller lenses up to 105mm that don't have a tripod mount.

EBH

Aug 21, 2016 at 01:06 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

Have the Markins Q3T. Overall has worked pretty good but in colder weather it sticks a lot and also the clamping force isn't incredibly high.

Aug 22, 2016 at 10:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

m.sommers00 wrote:
Have the Markins Q3T. Overall has worked pretty good but in colder weather it sticks a lot and also the clamping force isn't incredibly high.

Thanks. Is the "clamping force" an issue with the A-S clamp or the tightening of the ball?

EBH

Aug 22, 2016 at 06:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

the clamping force is adjustable on the markins lever lock. but you must be aware not to ver do it.

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

sjms wrote:
the clamping force is adjustable on the markins lever lock. but you must be aware not to ver do it.

I would get the screw drive. Originally I had the lever lock on the Q20i and then later replaced it. I do not recommend their lever as it is fiddly to adjust and also not smooth like the RRS.

EBH

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:16 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

just stating the fact that the markins is adjustable and I do understand that the RRS is a better design overall.

Aug 22, 2016 at 09:46 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

m.sommers00 wrote:

My experience too. I've gone through three Q3T heads and you really can't use them in the winter here in New England. The other little quirk was that the panning lock acted as a brake rather than a lock and if you had a longish lens on a tripod with an articulating center column it could be dodgy. They are a quality product though; very well made and beautifully finished.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:27 AM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

Yeah I think the winter has screwed up my tripod head or maybe needs a regreasing or overall replacement. I have the screw-in clamp for an Arca plate to my D810 as I heard the lever type didn't clamp super tight like an RRS head would. Even now in the summer it gets sticky. For example, I'll mount the camera and go to unlock the ball head and I have to kind of jerk it because even fully loosened it really doesn't loosen. I'll tighten the ball head back up and seems to never have that rock solid feel. I never stray far anyways.

Moreover, the panning knob can't tighten enough. You know when you put a head on a tripod you can clamp this down and just twist it on, tightened it enough and then loosen thrbknob to pan, and so on. What I find is that while totally locked down I can spin the unit still as if the panning knob was not quite tight enough. I've locked this thing down like no one's business and I think it's just a flaw or its too small. I've mediated this problem by using a some tools and a rag to really get it locked down with thread locker added.

Anyways I still use it for hiking on a siriu tripod because compared to an RRS 33 and BH55, it's so much lighter and smaller, and is a lot better than having nothing.

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:03 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

and as I have said before is that I have stuck with the RRS family of heads. I do have an M10 and with all before I go anywhere I do inspect and exercise them before use. it does take a lighter touch with the RRS heads

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

My Sirui ballhead is surprisingly close to the Markins in quality, for a lot less money. It's nice to save a bit on travel gear, especially since it makes it a little less worrying to be knocking around backpacks, suitcases, or hotel rooms. Haven't had any sticking issues yet - I haven't had it out in truly frigid weather yet, but I've had it out below freezing a couple times.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:26 AM
mark1958
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

I own a Markins q10 and wanted a smaller head for traveling. I was debating between the two Q3s mentioned. I ended up with the Sirui G-10X. At 89 dollars it really is a great head. Will take it out for a spin today.

binary visions wrote:
My Sirui ballhead is surprisingly close to the Markins in quality, for a lot less money. It's nice to save a bit on travel gear, especially since it makes it a little less worrying to be knocking around backpacks, suitcases, or hotel rooms. Haven't had any sticking issues yet - I haven't had it out in truly frigid weather yet, but I've had it out below freezing a couple times.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:59 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

mark1958 wrote:
I own a Markins q10 and wanted a smaller head for traveling. I was debating between the two Q3s mentioned. I ended up with the Sirui G-10X. At 89 dollars it really is a great head. Will take it out for a spin today.

I had the same situation. I really like my Markins head, I just needed a travel head as well, and I'm always worried about travel gear. It gets hiked with and thrown around public transit and left in hotel rooms and carried around in cities where it represents months of income for a lot of the locals. If I can get away with something cheaper that has a higher likelihood of being stolen or destroyed, it seems prudent. That doesn't work very well for lenses or camera bodies, typically, so I just suck it up and insure things.

In this case I was pleasantly surprised to not really give up anything for the lower price. Going on month 8 of travel with it and, knock on wood, no issues.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

peter_n wrote:
My experience too. I've gone through three Q3T heads and you really can't use them in the winter here in New England. The other little quirk was that the panning lock acted as a brake rather than a lock and if you had a longish lens on a tripod with an articulating center column it could be dodgy. They are a quality product though; very well made and beautifully finished.

Assuming it is not freezing, is there a decent range of tension with the ball locking knob?
If the ball gets tight when cold does it return to normal when warm? The Q20i has worked just fine in ice and snow, even left outside for hours. I'm a bit surprised that the Q3T is worse. Obviously I might need something else if it is not up to par, but not a cheesy ballhead 8000 miles from home. Thanks.

EBH

Aug 25, 2016 at 08:50 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

^ The range of tension for the main knob is good, its very usable and works well.

If the ball gets stuck in the cold you bring it inside and once it warms up a bit you can take it back out and use it again. The issue seems to be limited to their small ballhead as I've not heard or read of anyone with one of their larger heads having this problem.

There's a bloke in Finland on another forum who can't use his Q3 in the winter, he uses a RRS BH-30 or 40 instead. Another person on the same forum has a Q10 in Norway I think and she's never had a problem with it. I replaced my Q3T with an Acratech.

Aug 26, 2016 at 06:50 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Markins Q3 vs. Q3T

as a fun experiment I placed my Markins M10 in a freezer. that freezers temp is 4.3 deg F or -15.5 deg C. I let it cold soak for 4 hrs

1- all knobs were in the lock or brake position to their stops/normal torque stop where I would consider it locked under normal use.

2- tension/drag was set at an approx medium level

removed from freezer and immediately. due to the relative area temp of 80 Deg F and humidity of approx 72% and device frosted over within moments to approx 1mm+ in thickness.

unlocked knobs one at a time with little to no issue

though a little slower due to the "grease factor" operation was normal. ball moved and drag was still variable while being adjusted.

while doing the movement and adjustment "test" all frost condensed into liquid water.

considering the environment and time in cold I estimate that the interior also had the same effects as this is in no way a sealed unit.

I can extrapolate that there is a possibility of a collection of considerable moisture in the interior of these heads which can possibly freeze up any of the mechanism but so far cannot demonstrate it. the grease used internally and its distribution can also be a factor.

w/o removing the condensate it has been put back in to cold soak for another 4 hrs.

16:10

removed from freezer again and still had full functionality though slower due to grease "resistance to flow".

100% condensate after ~2 min covering ballhead after removal from freezer. cleaned off and back on tripod. awaiting time till components reach ambient temp.

16:35

part still cool to the touch but all normal functional movement feels normal to touch.

result from this exercise shows that this particular Markins M10 ballhead never lost functional movement after (2) 4 hour undisturbed sessions in a freezer averaging ~+4.8 F or ~-15.11 C

granted that this is essentially a static "test". there are other variables that can be put into play including the human factor. need to know more before one can judge.

first time removed

second time removed

Aug 26, 2016 at 09:51 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.