New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · update to the Nikon D600 service

so i sent in my D600 in fall of 2014. A few months later, the spots were back - however there was not enough "down" time for me to send it in.

Today, i decided was the day to send it in, so i can have it back in time for fall color goodness. I go to their website, and notice a disclaimer stating that if you have previously had the service done, to call them to get directions on what to do.

I call them, and they were super nice. They did ask me where i bought this, what retailer, etc. I told them I bought it used from a private party on eBay. She said ok. I told her i had a receipt showing payment and such.

They transferred me to a supervisor, and she said i need to send two unedited files (if resized, it states to use a Nikon program to retain exif data). When i took the two exposures (one at f/11 and one at f/16) and checked them out, man there is a TON of dust at f/16, but surprised i could see a "few" at f/11. The surprising thing is the two 30MB files uploaded no problem.

Of course they are closed on the weekend, but they will get back to me to instruct me what to do. Their website states they will replace the camera with a new one (D610).

Anyone else notice this change on their site? I always thought you have to ask them nicely to swap out cameras.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:48 PM
tobycat2
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Nice! Makes me want to pick up a cheap used d600!

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · update to the Nikon D600 service

You'll probably get a brand new D610 unless they very recently changed their policies. After the initial delay, Nikon has been excellent with dealing with the D600. No other manufacturer straight up replaces cameras like that. I know one person who bought a D600 for next to nothing, then just sent it in for a D610 right away haha. Lots of D600's don't have the issue though so it doesn't work every time.

Aug 20, 2016 at 12:26 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · update to the Nikon D600 service

CanadaMark wrote:
You'll probably get a brand new D610 unless they very recently changed their policies. After the initial delay, Nikon has been excellent with dealing with the D600. No other manufacturer straight up replaces cameras like that. I know one person who bought a D600 for next to nothing, then just sent it in for a D610 right away haha. Lots of D600's don't have the issue though so it doesn't work every time.

Either way is a win. Not much benefits to a D610 over a D600 that doesn't have problems. 👍 Half of a frame per second and some added resale value.

Aug 20, 2016 at 05:40 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · update to the Nikon D600 service

I've sent mine in twice and it has numerous spots again. I'll try a third time and hopefully they'll just replace the body finally. Tired of messing with it when some people are getting replacement bodies and others they just rinse and repeat.

Aug 20, 2016 at 01:16 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · update to the Nikon D600 service

i talked to someone at Nikon today, and they are replacing mine with a D610. I have to say their customer service has been good lately - at least in my experience.

Aug 25, 2016 at 09:04 PM
RainingRamen

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · update to the Nikon D600 service

that's great to hear about the replacement. I like you just got a D600, how did you check yours for oil or dust spots? Thanks in advance!

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:15 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · update to the Nikon D600 service

i noticed mine even shooting at f/9. If you take a shot of the sky at f/16 or lower, it is easy to see them - if you have them.

Aug 26, 2016 at 10:44 AM
khoido77
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Do you need to defocus the lens when shooting at the sky? Also, does certain focal length make the dots more apparent? I have a D600 that I had used the shutter replacement program once earlier in the year. However, I just checked recently and saw some dots in the upper left area of the frame.

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:29 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · update to the Nikon D600 service

i manually focus all the time. i just focused to infinity. they just want to see the dust, not how sharp the image is

Aug 26, 2016 at 01:35 PM
Flying Oyster

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · update to the Nikon D600 service

This post motivated me to send my D600 in again. I re-read what Dustin said in the OP and followed what he did...call 1st. I'm glad I did.
The Nikon folks were nice on the phone. I sent in a sample picture as requested.
And low and behold, I just got the phone call informing me that they will be replacing it with a brand new D610.

I suggest anyone else hesitating to send it in to not wait much longer.

(my opinion and partial insentive)-Its almost time for the D610 to be replaced by something else. Not sure how long the current stock will last (year or 2) or if they will use the D610 replacement for D600 swaps.

FYI, to check for spots;
Set the camera/lens to manual focus
Set the metering to matrix
Pick your lowest native iso
set the lens to its smallest aperture (f16 or smaller)

I used a Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens. Then went outside, made sure the focus was set at minimum (so the sky was completely out of focus) and took a shot. Clear bright blue sky is best. Nikon wants the shot SOOC for the EXIF data.
If you really want to see how bad the spots are. Load the shot into Photoshop> convert to greyscale>use auto-contrast. Mine looked like a negative for a star filled astro photo

Aug 29, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · update to the Nikon D600 service

glad to hear that!

Aug 29, 2016 at 06:38 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · update to the Nikon D600 service

If you own a D600, check the tripod mount beneath the camera. If it has some paint at the base, then the shutter has been fixed by Nikon. I was told this by someone on this forum. I bought a D600 when they were cheap thanks to the dust scare. Mine has that mark, hence it has the modified shutter, and thus far it has been no more dusty than is to be expected. (It seems to be more susceptible to dust than my D200, but I suspect that is because the sensor has twice the area hence twice the dust collecting capacity.)

Aug 30, 2016 at 07:05 AM
twistacatz
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Great to know, I'm going to call in my D600 today or tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up.

Aug 30, 2016 at 08:18 AM
badlosedotorg

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Just wanted to add my personal experience:

I sent my D600 in 3X and they did replace it on the 3rd submission with a D610 (of which I sold right away before putting any actuations on it).

The first time I sent it, they replaced the shutter mechanism and cleaned it. The second time, they added a part that the Nikon representative "guaranteed" would fix it, heh, and the third time I requested a replacement and they complied. I do believe I went through all of this because I bought my D600 the day it went on sale, so I had it from the beginning. I would agree that Nikon is probably more lax on just sending a replacement 610 now as long as you have good sample images.

Aug 30, 2016 at 01:06 PM
twistacatz
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · update to the Nikon D600 service

I took some shots of the sky and to be honest until I pump up the contrast most of the oil spots are hard to see. Any ideas on how this will go over when I call Nikon?

SOOC:

Untitled by maddenlive2006, on Flickr

Edit:

DSC_9665a by maddenlive2006, on Flickr

This is what I looked like before I sent it in for the first time:

Untitled by maddenlive2006, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2016 at 07:48 PM
Flying Oyster

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · update to the Nikon D600 service

I'm not an expert on what Nikon is looking for.
The pic I sent had a little more on it, but a similar pattern as yours. I worried about my pic not showing enough debris for them to care. Then I tried a shot with my year old D810 and it was squeaky clean. What a difference! I didn't think twice about using the D600 shot after..lol

It would show the spots better with a more uniform background.
If you can't get some blue sky, try using something like Microsoft Word or notepad, opened and maximized. Then take a picture of just the white screen. This is about getting a quality picture that shows accurately the dirt on the sensor.

Nikon wants the picture unedited. My suggestion of greyscale>auto contrast was just for my own curiosity.

Side note, Nikon has you sign a non-disclosure agreement about the swap. But I think after all this time it's pretty much common knowledge. <maybe I shouldn't say any more until I have the camera in hand>

Aug 30, 2016 at 09:27 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · update to the Nikon D600 service

The images above show huge amounts of dust and/or debris in the top left corner which is consistent with the known issue. Mine does get dust, but not so much, and uniformly so over the entire image area. Presumably when cleaned, it gets mucky quickly?

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:22 AM
twistacatz
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Thanks for the feedback gents and thank god for this thread! I'm a happy camper!

Sep 01, 2016 at 07:50 AM
drtaylor23
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · update to the Nikon D600 service

Hey D600 service thread.

I was queued up to buy a D600 local this afternoon. I bailed out and wondering if it was the right call.

Body has 65,000 clicks. Hasn't been sent in for the shutter service. No issues with oil/dust spots. It was priced a little on the high side of what they go for here, but not unreasonable give the service advisory for a fresh shutter. I called Nikon and confirmed I could send it in as secondhand owner for replacement.

I had read here about the paint dot in the tripod mount after the repaid. The camera was purchased new in June 2014 after everything had run its course and the repairs were being made. I'm thinking they fixed some of them before they got out the door. The owner didn't do it and a paint dot in the tripod mount seems like a strange coincidence.

It's a scenario that I hadn't come across. I didn't want to drag it out any more after sitting there making a bunch of test shots and chatting so I just pulled the plug and apologized for wasting their time.

I was thinking I'd send in a possibly already "fixed" body with no issues and 65,000 actuations and get back a nice letter that they cleaned it for me and I just overpaid for something that had been used a bit knocked around a lot. On the other hand, I was thinking they see it's already "fixed" and send me back a D610. Didn't seem like it was worth it on a risk-adjusted basis.

Just thought I'd see if anybody has worked through that situation and/or mention it as something to think about if anybody else researching comes through here. While really helpful, the Nikon people can't give you any expectation or promise anything over the phone, which I understand.

Sep 01, 2016 at 03:24 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.