Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

These look nice and sharp to me Robert ~ Ron

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:55 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

Looks like you got it all dialed in ! Looks good.

Birdie

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:19 PM
Pinballgov
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

looks good what camera are you using

Bill

Aug 20, 2016 at 07:00 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

Thanks everyone.
Bill we FoCal'ed a 7Dii, a 5Dsr, and a 1DXii. While at it we used the
100-400ii, the 400DOii, and the 500ISii.
I can do up to 300mm at home-my longest room is 30 feet so I didn't do the wide portion of the 100-400ii or the 300mm.
Should tell you we actually did thing in the hospital where I work, and we did it from 11p.m until 4 a.m.
The hospital has some halls that are 200 feet.
A friend asked why not outside? Well I live in a temperate rain forest and for the last 7 days now it has been rain rain rain, sometimes monsoon level, so inside was our choice.
At the top of this thread is a pic of our setup-
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1465543&page=2

Aug 21, 2016 at 08:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

The shots look great.

I used to spend a lot of time using Focal and doing MA on all my lens and lens TC combos. Eventually I started to realize it really isn't worth it as a general step when acquiring new gear. With my last two bodies 5DSR and 1DX2 I haven't even bothered with MA. MA changes with temperature, distance to subject and changes over time when your gear gets bumped around with time. Unless you want to keep doing it over and over again it really isn't worth the time and effort.

This article http://arihazeghiphotography.com/blog/focus-micro-adjustment-is-it-always-needed/ by Arash got me thinking in my new direction of leaving MA alone especially with big long lenses. As Arash points out there are so many other things we do that throw off the focus that tiny MA shifts will have no meaningful effect when averaged in to all the other stuff.

I do believe MA has a place when you can consistently see an obvious back or front focus. And it may be more valuable with shorter and very wide aperture lenses. The other place I have done MA is when shooting a subject from a tripod that stays at a fixed distance. In my case this was the eagle nest I follow. The easiest way to MA out in the field in that scenario is to compare LV images to AF images at different MA values. In that type of scenario I did find it useful as most variables were controlled and MA was done on the intended subject, at the current temperature at the exact distance. I will tell you that each year I do it it is different.

Anyways, those are just some of my more recent thoughts and experiences with MA. If you personally find it helps then by all means continue to do it but remember to do it regularly.

Aug 21, 2016 at 08:38 PM
MedicineMan404
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · First time using Reiken Focal....backyard Cardinal

Thanks Mr. Arbitrage for you views.
For years I've not done MFA, me thinking that for what we pay for a 1DXii or 5Dsr and a 300 or 500ISii then the focus should be spot on.
I also felt that after trauma, say one slips and hits the ground with the kit, then MFA could be performed it one sees a major change.
That said, with the exception of the 400DOii + 2.0TCiii all values were small changes, worst being one +5, most + or -1 or 2. The 400DOii with teleconverter being a 14 degree shift.
Also I've seen your Eagle nest work and just stellar imagery!
Thanks again for chiming in.

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:52 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.