Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

Looks like the rumors sites have this one wrapped up, complete with photos and specs. An official announcement is expected next week. Shipments expected mid-September.

Summary of the specs
30.4mp
7fps
Dual Pixel, 61 point AF
ISO 100-102400
GPS, WiFi, Anti-flicker, 4k video, touchscreen

MSRP
USA - $3299 (?)
Canada - $4299
Europe - €3799

Looks like a great upgrade to the 5D3. Anyone planning on pre-ordering?

Aug 19, 2016 at 09:42 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

Nothing until I see info on DR and how the shadows respond.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:05 AM
Anoop Shah
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

Does anyone know if they've added the feature where in it will spot meter at the selected focus point? Or is Canon still reserving this feature for their flagship 1 series?

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:28 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

New format » DPRaw ... double sized file and you get to re-think focus and bokeh in post production (with Canon software)

As for dynamic range - read reviews of the 1DxII and 80D. Not D750 good, but no longer embarrassingly behind.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:57 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

Everything else looks like just a refresh with all the latest EOS thinking.

It will bite and track AF like a 7DmkII (noticeably better than 5D3), adds a touch screen

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:08 AM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

I feel like the 5D4 has an identity crisis... is it a camera for photographers or videographers? Personally, I don't care about GPS, 4K video or touch screen. Spend more R&D, money effort on better dynamic range, AF capabilities, flip screen and increased buffering (maybe CFast?). Regardless, my 5D3s are falling apart and probably would like to be retired... so I'll probably wait to see a few reviews before making a final decision.

Keith

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

With DPRaw, it's clear there's been sensor R+D at work. To be seen if it's a gimmick or a game changer.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:14 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

ZachOly wrote:
Anyone planning on pre-ordering?

Ha!
HAHA!
HAHAHAHA!

Pre-ordering or even buying within 6 months of a release is the LAST thing I would even consider doing.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but here in Oz, I guarantee the thing will be at least $500 cheaper 6 months after its release and $1000 lower within 12 months.
The other thing is that there is almost certain to be bugs and glitches with the things that will be addressed in firmware patches and updates but cause frustration to the early models and may even need to be returned to a dealer or repair place.

Of course the funny thing I have noticed is when a new model cam comes out, my current one keeps working just the same. They are always great when they come out like the Mk4 will be and when the 5 comes out, they will still be performing just as well. I have never seen a cam decline with age.

I like it when a new model comes out because the old model that has worked well gets really cheap as they clear them out. It's very economical to stay just one model behind! :0)

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:33 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

So it is twice as expensive as the D750, but is it twice as good? If you are really set on shooting Canon, you don't have much else for options though. :-/

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:55 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

glort wrote:
Ha!
HAHA!
HAHAHAHA!

Pre-ordering or even buying within 6 months of a release is the LAST thing I would even consider doing.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but here in Oz, I guarantee the thing will be at least $500 cheaper 6 months after its release and $1000 lower within 12 months.
The other thing is that there is almost certain to be bugs and glitches with the things that will be addressed in firmware patches and updates but cause frustration to the early models and may even need to be returned to a dealer or repair place.
...Show more

After 4 years of professional use, my 5D3 is ready to become a backup. I simply need a new camera. If you're comfortable getting by with a 6 year old 7D (or whatever you're using), more power to you.

And good luck seeing a $500 discount on this within 6 months or $1k discount within 12 months. Simply not going to happen.

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:07 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

BSPhotog wrote:
So it is twice as expensive as the D750, but is it twice as good? If you are really set on shooting Canon, you don't have much else for options though. :-/

Twice as good? I have no idea.

But I will say that in Canada, after the price increases earlier this year, coupled with the weak used market, switching is totally unaffordable for a comparable kit.

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:12 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

ZachOly wrote:
After 4 years of professional use, my 5D3 is ready to become a backup. I simply need a new camera.

I have a feeling you'll see new 5D3's going for a better price.

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:43 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

After the LCD illumination leak, the shutter/box failures (I personally experienced this one) and mirrors falling out in the initial release of the 5D3, I won't do a pre-order again.

It looks good on rumor spec, but I really don't want to pay for video features I will never use. I don't know why they don't just make two models; one $500 less without the video crap.

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:50 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

klee.007 wrote:
Regardless, my 5D3s are falling apart and probably would like to be retired...

that is for damn sure. I cannot even imagine the state they would be in had I been shooting with them full time the past two seasons.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:19 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

joelconner wrote:
Nothing until I see info on DR and how the shadows respond.

This absolutely is the major question. I'm not sure many will last another gen of antiquated sensor tech.

Edited on Aug 19, 2016 at 03:23 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:40 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

amonline wrote:
It looks good on rumor spec, but I really don't want to pay for video features I will never use. I don't know why they don't just make two models; one $500 less without the video crap.

You can ask the same question to Nikon. I wish these companies would listen to what the buyers need.

Aug 19, 2016 at 03:18 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

joelconner wrote:
that is for damn sure. I cannot even imagine the state they would be in had I been shooting with them full time the past two seasons.

Dude, remember when we first got our 5D3s? We were like little girls who got a My Little Pony for the first time.

Aug 19, 2016 at 03:44 PM
klee.007
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

BSPhotog wrote:

I'm not in love with the D750 (I know, blasphemy!), it has plenty of areas where the 5D3 better suits me but I could get only board the Nikon train if push comes to shove. And it's good thing the D750s are half the price, since you'll need to keep a backup since it's built with prosumer like quality.

Keith

Edited on Aug 19, 2016 at 08:05 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2016 at 03:48 PM
popinvasion
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

The video specs suck anyway-how they could charge more for those specs is ridiculous. 1.7 crop..... Yeah-no. I still have a gut feeling that the D750 will be better for noise, DR, pulling shadows. Shame really.

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:22 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 5D4 - Who's ordering?

klee.007 wrote:
I'm not in love with the D750 (I know, blasphemy!), it has plenty of areas where the 5D3 better suits me but I could get only board the Nikon train if push comes to shove. And it's good thing the D750s are half the price, since you'll need to keep a backup since it's built with prosumer like quality.

Keith

Yeah, I would assume that the 5d4 would be better built. Spec-wise, it is a really different thing. It is odd to me in some ways that they aren't matching Nikon punch for punch at different levels, but then again it also makes some sense. I mean, the 1DXII and D5 are really similar and really easily compared because they are trying to do the same thing. With the rest of their bodies, Canon is staggering themselves between the stuff already on the market. The 5Dsr is a bit like the D810, but more MP and just different. It is almost trying to be a poor man's medium format studio camera or something. The new 5D4 seems positioned between the D750 and D810. It is halfway between on MP, has the more pro build and layout, maybe some video prowess, etc. It is interesting. It might even be smart, if this in-between kind of camera is what enough people are wanting.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they came out with another 5D camera within the next year. If the 5Dsr is the high MP monster, maybe they'll put out a 16-20mp modern 5D with some cutting edge AF and crazy sensor technology that sees in the dark and his stupid high DR.

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.