Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

gordorad
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

Is it possible to enter copyright/photog info with this camera? I always thought it was but can not find it in the menu system.

I read online it can be done with Canon Utilities, but was not successful with that approach either...

Aug 18, 2016 at 09:22 PM
jrhoffman75
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

I checked EOS Utility manual. It doesn't look like you can.

Aug 18, 2016 at 09:53 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

Yes, connect your camera via USB cable and use the EOS Utility to change the name of the "Creator" stored in the IPTC data of the file.

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:02 PM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

I did try using the Canon Utility but am not able to find the "creator" tab...

Where in the CU is it located?

Thanks.

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:04 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

After running the EOS Utility, click on "Camera Settings/Remote Shooting" found under the "Control Camera" tab. This brings up a new window depicted in the image following; http://bit.ly/2b6yG1D

The EOS Utility looks like this before you click on Camera Settings/Remote Shooting.... http://bit.ly/2bF9WdH

You type your name in the field that says "Owner's Name" and it saves it to the camera.

That's it.

I had to install the software from the DISC, and then run the UPDATER software from the download section (For a Canon 1D Mark III) on Canon's web site. The software MUST be updated or it will fail to work the way I have described.

I just performed this function. I installed the software from CD, downloaded the UPDATER software from Canon's web site, and I saved my name on the camera. In the photo I provided, it shows I set the name to "Your Name". I have since changed it to my real name.

That's 20 minutes I spent to help you. Click LIKE when you get things figured out.

Aug 20, 2016 at 02:41 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

The "Owner Name" is NOT the "Creator" or "Copyright". It is the owner of the camera. Confusion sometimes arises because Adobe software incorrectly copies the Owner Name into Creator. However, if you look at the files in other software (for example, Apple's Preview) you will see that there are no Creator or Copyright strings present. This camera writes "Owner Name" into the MakerNotes, from where Adobe copies it. As tne MakerNotes is often ignored or even stripped, it is a bad idea to rely on it because what you think is your "copyright" notice can disappear with perfectly reasonable downstream processing. In particular, out-of-camera JPEGs do NOT have the Copyright field set, so any program that doesn't know about Canon MakerNotes (most programs) won't show a copyright.

With this camera, if you want to ensure your files have copyright branding, you should do so using software such as Photo Mechanic or exiftool, or if using Adobe applying a metadata template (because you can't be sure they won't one day fix it so it does the right thing).

Some later cameras allowed all 3 fields to be set separately, because they are independent. For example, think of rental cameras or a photographer working for hire.

(I just verified this using my 1D Mk III, version 2.8.? of the software, CC 2015, and various software tools.)

Aug 21, 2016 at 02:32 AM
gordorad
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1d MK III - copyright info in setup menu?

So I guess the answer is no! Thanks for all the input.

Gordon

Aug 21, 2016 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.