New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Making the big bucks

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Making the big bucks

Ok, more like "Taking" the big bucks but it didn't sound right so...

My Exif has been stripped away again by one of my workflow processes but these were shot just after the sun set, I think about 8:30pm. So my ISO was way up there again thus I had some noise to contend with in these.

400mm on my cropper just isn't working for me for this type of shooting 80% of the time.

Curious about what you think of my post work on them and framing/crop choices as well as any WB issues you might see. As usual I have a ton of room to play with as they are fairly heavy crops.

Dave

Aug 18, 2016 at 11:55 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Making the big bucks

lighthound wrote:
Ok, more like "Taking" the big bucks but it didn't sound right so...

My Exif has been stripped away again by one of my workflow processes but these were shot just after the sun set, I think about 8:30pm. So my ISO was way up there again thus I had some noise to contend with in these.

400mm on my cropper just isn't working for me for this type of shooting 80% of the time.

Curious about what you think of my post work on them and framing/crop choices as well as any WB issues you might see. As usual
...Show more
#2 for me, a beautiful portrait, nicely framed and up close. And those antlers!
Steve

Aug 18, 2016 at 03:09 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Making the big bucks

Thanks for the pick Steve. I just noticed that particular one (#2) is looking a bit soft. I might have hit it too hard with NR and will take a closer look at that one.

And yes, these guys up there in the cove have some very impressive head gear on them. I have tons more and even captured my very first "drop tine" buck which I have never seen in the wild before.

I'm not real happy with most of my shots from this trip. Nothing a $12,000 lens couldn't fix though.

Dave

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:46 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Making the big bucks

I have no big problem with any of them, Dave.
To my eye red saturation might be a bit high but colors are pleasing, play of the bucks against the meadow is beautiful, the echoed buck in the background is a nice component in #1.
Two is my fav because of more direct eye contact but #3 competes well. The only nit: I think they all could be a bit crisper.
Scott

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:48 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Making the big bucks

All great, but 2 and 3 for me because they are less obscured by the tall grass. There may be too much red but I like them anyway.

Aug 20, 2016 at 09:19 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Making the big bucks

Thank you Scott and Ben for your feedback on these.
Sorry I'm late on responding on this one, I've been caught up in a mess with my truck ever since this cove trip so I gave up last night and bought a shiny new one to put an end to my misery.
No new camera gear for me for many years to come.

I could not see the red that you guys pointed out but when I dropped the red down and made the other adjustments you guys mentioned I could see the improvement. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Please let me know how these look.
Reduced red channel, cleaned up some weeds in faces, gave them a little USM kiss and a little contrast and gamma nudge.

Dave

edit - 1

edit - 2

edit - 3

edit - 4

Aug 25, 2016 at 10:38 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Making the big bucks

Crisper!

Aug 25, 2016 at 03:44 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.