New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Bisti - 2 questions

Cosmo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bisti - 2 questions

I'm planning an Oct trip to Bisti and have done a bit of research but I have 2 questions that hopefully you can answer.

1) I've been reading about the Gold King Mine toxic spill into the Animas River. I know it was from last year but are there still health concerns? Are the food and tap water from this area safe?

2) I've seen photos of King Of Wings with people in them so I know the scale. However I don't know the scale of any of the other wings. They probably come in all sizes, but are they generally 2 feet high, 20 feet high? 100 feet high? I'll make them look big no matter the actual size. Just want to know what to expect.

Thanks

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:58 AM
jaehoppa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bisti - 2 questions

can't answer your questions but take a GPS with you. I got lost the first time I went and that wasn't fun. There are no trails, signs, or cairns so be prepared.

Aug 18, 2016 at 03:48 PM
tmiller9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bisti - 2 questions

I would second the GPS recommendation. Easy to figure out where you are when the sun is up - but once it hits the horizon - the place gets weird. I found the GPS to be invaluable.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bisti - 2 questions

The food and drinking water are fine. Just don't go taking any mudbaths in the Animas river.

So long as you can determine "west" you can always, worst case, walk to the highway. Bring a compass or 'star wheel' chart if you're not familiar with the night sky.

Aug 19, 2016 at 12:07 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bisti - 2 questions

A GPS is helpful in finding specific formations and getting back to the parking area, so do bring one. However, pay attention to landmarks and directions and you'll have no trouble getting back. The river is nowhere near Bisti, so no worry there. King of Wings is not in Bisti, but plenty of other "wings", mostly less than 6 feet high. Be sure to explore areas between the Wilderness area and the highway for some good formations easy to reach for sunrise/sunset. I spent 5 days there in April, got lots of sunrise/sunset shots despite a couple days of rainy conditions that turn the place into a gooey, slippery mess. It dries faster now since BLM improved drainage, but still takes a day or so.

Check out my Bisti gallery at http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/bisti .

Aug 22, 2016 at 07:26 AM
Monika C
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bisti - 2 questions

This is helpful http://thewave.info It's in the "other Southwest" section. He has a section on the Bisti, another on Ah-shi-sle-pah, which includes King of Wings & Valley of Dreams though when I tried to return to Ah-shi-sle-pah, the road I used before was closed & just couldn't get the GPS coordinates to work with actual roads. The wings really vary in size. For the Bisti, a plain old compass can work really well to get you back to the parking area, but paying attention to where you're going/what you're passing can't be over emphasized. You'll probably be walking in or out in the dark. That bentonite clay when it's wet is a real mess. There's minimal driving on gravel to the Bisti, but mostly dirt/clay for the other areas (except for the closed road to Ah-shi-sle-pah -- you can park on the pavement & it's a short walk to the old TH). Those clay roads can turn super slick when wet.

Aug 31, 2016 at 01:52 PM
Cosmo

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bisti - 2 questions

Thank you for your info and recommendations, They are very appreciated. I have a hiking GPS and the coordinates for several of the better known locations. I know the Animas River is not near Bisti, but had read some concern about the safety of the produce and livestock that are from that area as that was some nasty stuff that got released into the river.

Thanks again.

Sep 09, 2016 at 07:37 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.