New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · D3400

SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3400

Seems to offer little more than the D3300 except the flawed snap bridge and a flash with dialed back power. The new "P" kit lens is gray marketed for less than $100 More than 2.5X more for the US version with a 5 year warrantee.

Aug 18, 2016 at 07:32 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3400

SoundHound wrote:
Seems to offer little more than the D3300 except the flawed snap bridge and a flash with dialed back power. The new "P" kit lens is gray marketed for less than $100 More than 2.5X more for the US version with a 5 year warrantee.

It's a different SnapBridge than the D500, this is Bluetooth only so no gimped wifi. Same app on the phone/tablet though.

Also loses the sensor-cleaning feature, but gains battery life.

And no, it's not the same P kit lens available grey market for less than $100 (that's the D3300 kit lens), it's a new version with stepper-motor AF that was sort-of announced this spring.

All told, buy the D3300 for less money.

Aug 18, 2016 at 08:40 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3400

I think Snapbridge is the a perfect new feature for a camera like this. Most D3XXX users are probably JPEG shooters as well. Guide mode also is actually pretty neat, you can go out by yourself and the camera shows you how certain settings change the image.

They are claiming a pretty big battery life bump, which is always welcome.

It's a new sensor based on the D7200, so probably another Toshiba unit.

It's a more significant update than previous models IMHO. These are Nikon's money making cameras, they will always be on relatively fast refresh cycles with minor changes.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3400

I agree with Mark. While the photographer in me says that this is a rubbish update and the D3200 is just as good (let alone the D3300), from a business perspective this is a great step forward. The average consumer doesn't need more than 24MP, doesn't need more than 5 fps, and doesn't need 4k video. The average consumer wants something that will take better photos than their phone, while still giving them the convenience of posting images to Instagram and Facebook from their phone - Nikon's making this process much easier, even if Snapbridge is nowhere near perfect yet. If Nikon can continue with this trajectory, and convince consumers that a DSLR is an accessory to their phone and not a hassle, they'll dominate the entry level market.

I am bummed out about their new AF-P lenses having no switches for VR or manual focus. Part of the appeal of DSLRs over phones is the amount of control you have via tactile buttons, and having to menu dive to do basic functions is a big step backwards. Doing IBIS would be more sensible if they don't want switches on the lenses.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3400

IBIS woulod bring a lot of lenses back to life for me. My hands are shaky in my dotage.

Aug 18, 2016 at 04:31 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3400

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I am bummed out about their new AF-P lenses having no switches for VR or manual focus. Part of the appeal of DSLRs over phones is the amount of control you have via tactile buttons, and having to menu dive to do basic functions is a big step backwards. Doing IBIS would be more sensible if they don't want switches on the lenses.

For the same reason as why they leave out the other things. Those AF-P lenses are light, pretty fast and cheap.
Those camera's are 95% in the auto-mode.
Most of the time you see those cams with flash up and people trying to fill flash the mountain or church.
Most users have no clue what photographic options the body has.

BTW this is not to condemn those users, just a finding.

Aug 19, 2016 at 02:54 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3400

CanadaMark wrote:

Increased battery life in a crop DSLR is a big plus, and that D7200 sensor is certainly quite nice on its own. I think Nikon gets it, in a good way.

Aug 19, 2016 at 04:05 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3400

CanadaMark wrote:
I think Snapbridge is the a perfect new feature for a camera like this. Most D3XXX users are probably JPEG shooters as well. Guide mode also is actually pretty neat, you can go out by yourself and the camera shows you how certain settings change the image.

It's a more significant update than previous models IMHO. These are Nikon's money making cameras, they will always be on relatively fast refresh cycles with minor changes.

I'd have to disagree, while the changes are significant they're also more negative than positive. Even at the same price I'd be recommending the D3300 over the D3400 today as the single largest change for a consumer is the loss of the sensor cleaning system. That's going to lead to dust issues for consumers that simply won't happen with this camera's predecessors.

The flash has also been crippled (GN8 vs GN12 for the previous models), there is no support for a wired remote (lost along with support for the GPS unit that Snapbridge replaces) and the external mic port is gone too (an unusual feature at this pricepoint). So it's less useful as a light carry body for the more serious user as well (as no wired remote). Guide mode was on previous bodies, they've just changed the implementation.

The D3200-D3300 change was at least as significant (new processor, bigger OVF, 4fps to 5fps boost, improved video) and all positive. The D3100-D3200 change was pretty massive (basically everything changed except the OVF).

Extra battery life and a poorly supported but potentially nice wireless capability do not offset losing so much else.

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:45 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3400

My understanding is that the extra battery life "rating" was achieved by reducing the flash output (and maybe the sensor shaker?).

Nikon are advertising two sets of P lenses one with and one W/O VR. Yes I did see a Ritz AD selling the newest VRed 18-55 P lens for less than $100. The only good news is the D3300s will get cheaper.

Aug 19, 2016 at 07:01 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3400

SoundHound wrote:
My understanding is that the extra battery life "rating" was achieved by reducing the flash output (and maybe the sensor shaker?).

Nikon are advertising two sets of P lenses one with and one W/O VR. Yes I did see a Ritz AD selling the newest VRed 18-55 P lens for less than $100. The only good news is the D3300s will get cheaper.

Yes, mostly the flash output (CIPA rating is 50% flash use, so reducing flash power increases battery life significantly). It's the easiest way to game the CIPA ratings (and sell extra SB-300's).

As it is today, I'd recommend the D3300 over the D3400 to any new shooter, regardless of price differential. I'd also recommend the D3200 if found new at any discount over the D3400, in both cases solely for the sensor cleaning which will make life much easier for anyone who changes lenses.

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:20 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3400

mawz wrote:
I'd have to disagree, while the changes are significant they're also more negative than positive. Even at the same price I'd be recommending the D3300 over the D3400 today as the single largest change for a consumer is the loss of the sensor cleaning system. That's going to lead to dust issues for consumers that simply won't happen with this camera's predecessors.

The flash has also been crippled (GN8 vs GN12 for the previous models), there is no support for a wired remote (lost along with support for the GPS unit that Snapbridge replaces) and the external mic port is gone
...Show more

Fair points, but I do think you might be underestimating how much shooters at that price point will probably enjoy Snapbridge. They get to shoot with their fancy DSLR *and* share them at the same time. I can't tell you how many people I know who will be all over that, especially the new parents.

As for the sensor cleaning, in as long as I have used DSLRs with that feature, I have never seen it make any difference whatsoever. I really don't think it does much. Any dust bunnies I've ever had on a sensor needed a blower to remove, and anything more of course needs a wet clean. I'm sure it's better than not having it, but I wouldn't care if my next camera had it or not and I can't imagine it makes a big difference to entry level users who likely wouldn't even notice if they had a few dust specs.

I still think it's a nice revision of Nikon's entry level offering. I think they added things that their actual target market will find more useful than the things most of us enthusiasts discussing it on forums would want if we were to ever purchase that camera.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3400

I bought a D3300 with kit lens for $250 a few weeks ago, to use as back up on a trip. For $250, I couldn't go wrong. Small camera and cheap enough to use in dicey places. My only disappointment was no histogram. Will likely sell and buy a used D5300 when I get back. The blue tooth on the D3400 is of no value for me. Why wouldn't someone just use their cell phone?

Kent in SD

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:19 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3400

^^ That's a great price for a D3300. Hell I'd probably pick one up if I could get it for $250, cheaper than a TC haha.

Aug 19, 2016 at 11:08 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3400

YAAAAAAAAAAAWN.

Aug 19, 2016 at 01:47 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3400

CanadaMark wrote:
Any dust bunnies I've ever had on a sensor needed a blower to remove, and anything more of course needs a wet clean. I'm sure it's better than not having it, but I wouldn't care if my next camera had it or not and I can't imagine it makes a big difference to entry level users who likely wouldn't even notice if they had a few dust specs.

I agree mostly, but with the sensor cleaning not only does it not have autoclean at start-up/shut-down, it seems to also omit the lock mirror up for cleaning function. So for a wet clean, or even a blower, you'll need to actually take a photo - either take your chances with bulb mode or move quickly with 30 second exposures.

Aug 19, 2016 at 05:46 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3400

CanadaMark wrote:
Fair points, but I do think you might be underestimating how much shooters at that price point will probably enjoy Snapbridge. They get to shoot with their fancy DSLR *and* share them at the same time. I can't tell you how many people I know who will be all over that, especially the new parents.

As for the sensor cleaning, in as long as I have used DSLRs with that feature, I have never seen it make any difference whatsoever. I really don't think it does much. Any dust bunnies I've ever had on a sensor needed a blower to remove,
...Show more

I agree about SnapBridge, if Nikon ever sorts out the app situation (no iOS support and poor integration with picture hosting services people actually use make it a poor solution today).

the Ultrasonic sensor cleaner prevents dust from accumulating in the first place. It really does work very well in my experience. Every camera I've owned with the feature simply accumulates less dust in the first place. It doesn't do much to remove dust once it's visible.

Aug 19, 2016 at 06:32 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3400

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I agree mostly, but with the sensor cleaning not only does it not have autoclean at start-up/shut-down, it seems to also omit the lock mirror up for cleaning function. So for a wet clean, or even a blower, you'll need to actually take a photo - either take your chances with bulb mode or move quickly with 30 second exposures.

Long exposure even is a bad idea for cleaning because then the sensor is on and attracts dust particles, or so I've heard. :-/

Aug 19, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3400

BSPhotog wrote:
Long exposure even is a bad idea for cleaning because then the sensor is on and attracts dust particles, or so I've heard. :-/

Yeah, it's definitely not ideal. I know it was a lot worse with CCD sensors, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it still has some electrostatic attraction with CMOS designs. Really just a poor decision if they really do leave it out.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:03 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D3400

At the 3xxx level, a vibrating sensor is a bragging point.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:13 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D3400

Lauchlan Toal wrote:

That kind of sucks - doesn't matter if you're a beginner or not, the sensor should at least be cleanable. I wonder if Nikon has something they plug in and it locks the mirror up; probably. Maybe they think it's best for beginners to send the camera to Nikon for cleaning, but I can't imagine enough of them attempt it for it to be an issue. Strange indeed.

Aug 19, 2016 at 10:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.